• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should I allow the Spell Compendium in my campaign?

Thyrkill

Explorer
I'm running my group of 8 6th level characters through the Cormyr adventure in FR. The campaign is Core Only with the exception of the FR books, PH2, DM2, and the Warlock class. We are having a blast!

Recently, my players asked if I would allow the Spell Compendium in the rules set. I have not had a chance to look through the book, so I wanted to get the community's take on it. Are the spells on par with the my above "Core" or are they too powerful?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,
Thyrkill

shilsen

Adventurer
I suggest allowing the Spell Compendium on a case-by-case basis. There are a lot of spells there which are stronger than the core, IMNSHO, and a few that I don't want in my game, so that's the approach I took. What I specifically did was let all spellcasters choose 4 spells from the book to add to their spellbooks or spell lists. That has worked quite well for me so far (campaign currently at 13th level).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What he said. It's like drinking from a fire hose. Just let everyone you reserve the right to take a spell back if needed. Most of the problem spells have been called out here on ENWorld, so you can find out about them in advance via Google if there's a problem.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Beware, for example, spells like vortex of teeth, bombardment, and all of the "orb" spells. While not hopelessly broken, each has its own set of quirks that may make large changes in your campaign. Bombardment is a NICE mass damage spell that druids get at high levels that don't allow spell resistance. The Orb spells have their own kettle of issues (which you can search on this site and google to get a better idea of their pros and cons). Vortex of teeth is a WIDE area damage spell lasting several rounds that is a force effect (and therefore works on ethereal creatures, etc.)

Case by case is probably best, though we have run several high-powered games now with the book totally available to all casters, and it's not thrown us too far out of whack.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I allowed it in my Age of Worms campaign, and it was full of surprises, because my players were pretty intense about squeezing every last drop of advantage out of their characters. They used Phantasmal Assailants (Sor/Wiz2, Illusion) a lot, which tended to completely hose my combat brutes. Of course, I was still killing them off on a fairly regular basis, so it couldn't have been that unbalanced.

Thurbane

First Post
Spell Compendium is fine for classes like Wizard, Sorcerer etc. but can be problematic for classes like Cleric and Druid where you have access to every spell on your list.

One house rule I've heard of that seems quite fair is to allow a player to swap out an existing PHB spell for a SC spell. For instance, a Cleric might chose to drop Deathwatch off his spell list and take Healthful Rest instead.

smootrk

First Post
For me, the best way to handle the SC is to limit the characters to the PHB when they pick spells gained from achieving their levels (or the standard cleric/druid list from PHB). None of the freebie spells come from SC. The SC contents are spells that can be researched, found on scrolls, old tomes, etc.... basically allowed when I (dm) decide to allow.

Players might make requests, and then I have time to decide on the addition, and how I might drop the spell into the game.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Yes, I would allow it - and I do.

There are some issues. The Orb of Force was initially my big complaint - but at least now I know how often it is resorted to and my bad guys have compensated. I muddle through. It's alright - now that I have adjusted.

I have had some issues with downdraft too. For a third level spell. it can seriously weaken your dragons as even when the dragon saves, it takes a 50' plummet. If your dragons are on the wing and flying to breathe on the party - the spell will bring that dragon crashing down on the ground and in the range of melee weapons - whether it wants to be or not.

For all that though, the big issue really isn't about the spells the PCs have. Some seem very powerful - but so would a lot of spells in the PhB if they were being brought in for the first time. It simply takes getting used to. The "play balance" whining is mostly that - whining.

It's really not about uber spells at all. It's about the DM using those spells back at the PCs and planning encounters around their use. And unless you make a real point of that - it doesn't happen. If you use published adventures - they won't have them. So you have to plan for it. And that takes time and effort on your part.

If you don't, it's like the PCs can switch sword hands at will - and you are still always swinging in the same way, same hand, same arc.

End result: if you allow the Spell Compendium in your campaign (and I do in mine) I would remind you that it is a book that your PCs will enjoy and will expand and will enliven and make your game more fun - provided that you use it as well.

Remove ads