• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should Intuition be a skill/ability?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
What would be the pros/cons of implementing Intuition in the game?
I’d like PCs to have a 6th sense to guide them, a way as a DM to give them gut instincts, flashes of warnings?
a5328b7d90ab42d3c1d573501ccdfcc801a3da8c.jpg

I can't decide if it would be a new ability or skill (if so, attached to Wisdom?).
Or should be like a Plot Point type of mechanic, each player getting one roll a session so it's not overused?

Please let me know if/how it has been done in previous editions or other rpgs.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Passive Perception is used as a defense against surprise and running into traps and hazards while traveling (if you're in the front rank of the marching order and not doing some other distracting task). It isn't so much a passive sixth sense though as just senses being directed in a particular way, repeatedly, while adventuring.

Though the rules suggest that a Wisdom check could be used to resolve an uncertain outcome as to getting "a gut feeling about what course of action to follow" (when there's a meaningful consequence for failure), I would avoid anything like this personally. That has the look and feel of the DM telling the players the right answer and pushing them along a predetermined path which I would not find desirable as a player or DM. At best it's a way to correct for a failure on the DM to adequately describe the situation such that the players can make an informed decision. At worst it's a way for the DM to engage in shady practices to keep the players on the plot. There may be ways to use such a mechanic that aren't these things, but I would avoid it personally to be sure.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Though the rules suggest that a Wisdom check could be used to resolve an uncertain outcome as to getting "a gut feeling about what course of action to follow" (when there's a meaningful consequence for failure), I would avoid anything like this personally. That has the look and feel of the DM telling the players the right answer and pushing them along a predetermined path which to me which I would not find desirable as a player or DM.

It is also... the 2nd level cleric spell - Augury. One probably should not regularly have a stat check mimic more than a cantrip...

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It is also... the 2nd level cleric spell - Augury. One probably should not regularly have a stat check mimic more than a cantrip...

I don't have any particular feelings as to a mundane task being of equal or greater efficacy as a spell, but when I originally read "the gut feeling" example in the PHB (pg. 178) I was like "Ugh, gross."

R_J_K75

Legend
I usually subtly nudge my players in the right direction in some instances or give them the occasional "are you sure you want to do that"?, then other times I will just blatantly tell them that they get a bad feeling about something or are drawn to a specific clue. That works for me as long as its only used sparingly. Otherwise if the players aren't cautious, search and be mindful of their surroundings and don't ask the right question then that's on them. Just by the nature of a gut feeling, sixth sense and intuition I don't think that it can be quantified as a stat and a die roll.

anthr

Explorer
DnD/d20-system is based on dice rolls, and dice rolls can succeed or fail.
I'd say it would be perfectly OK to use a Wisdom check (maybe perception or insight, if it would be apropriate) - but you must be aware of that it's possible that the whole group fail their WIS checks.

Personally I rather describe the situation as omnious, and if the players react to my description then the characters would act as if they had some sort of intuition.
But this relies on player skill and not all players are comfortable with that.

Remove ads