• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Should "Lucky" remain in the game?

Clint_L

Legend
What are thoughts on the feat "Lucky," and the related racial ability "Halfling Luck"? I have never liked either, and would be perfectly happy to see them gone. I think they negatively effect the game's story, because they are typically used (Halfling luck always used, by design) to circumvent critical failures, critical hits, etc., and take a lot of impact out of the game.

I've been playing this game for better than 40 years, and in my experience failures are the most important part of the game. They are what give the story tension and stakes, and anything that makes it too hard for players to fail also makes it that much less exciting when they succeed. I like to keep that roll of the dice as sacrosanct as possible, and every time lucky is used it kind of feels like the wind goes out of the sails. It feels like easy mode.

So seeing a version of it as a Level 1 feat for OneD&D really disheartened me.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Considering that critical failures and fumbles aren't core rules, I don't think Halfling Luck or Lucky were designed with such things in mind.

However, if someone wants to go out of their way to be a Halfling or take a Feat instead of an ASI just to obviate a house rule they find annoying, I don't really see how that's any different than taking Resilient to shore up a bad saving throw or playing a race with advantage on saves.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What are thoughts on the feat "Lucky," and the related racial ability "Halfling Luck"? I have never liked either, and would be perfectly happy to see them gone. I think they negatively effect the game's story, because they are typically used (Halfling luck always used, by design) to circumvent critical failures, critical hits, etc., and take a lot of impact out of the game.

I've been playing this game for better than 40 years, and in my experience failures are the most important part of the game. They are what give the story tension and stakes, and anything that makes it too hard for players to fail also makes it that much less exciting when they succeed. I like to keep that roll of the dice as sacrosanct as possible, and every time lucky is used it kind of feels like the wind goes out of the sails. It feels like easy mode.

So seeing a version of it as a Level 1 feat for OneD&D really disheartened me.
Luck isn't going anywhere unless you get lucky. :p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I have thoroughly enjoyed the various lucky feats/abilities in 5e. We now taunt the halfling players who roll that 2 on the die for rolling the worst initial result a halfling can roll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads