• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should Monsters use sneaky tactics in combat??

Krensky

First Post
In the real world, this may generally be true (though even here there are situations where making sure someone isn't faking makes sense).

In a world where magical healing could make bring that guy back into the fight in short order, making sure he stays down can (situationally) be a the best move available to team monster, and I'd expect reasonably experienced warriors to be aware of that.

Which is why the medic is a primary target. Stabbing the guy unconscious and bleeding out is very low priority compared to putting his friends in the same condition. This is true regardless of magic or tech. The point isn't that people wouldn't make sure their enemies are dead, it's that you donm't do it while someone else is trying to kill you. If your average NPC is taking the time to kick your PCs when they're dying and rationalizing it as "Well, someone may heal them." you're metagaming.

Lacyon

First Post
Which is why the medic is a primary target.

Removing the medic's most combat-potent action is nearly as good as removing the medic.

Stabbing the guy unconscious and bleeding out is very low priority compared to putting his friends in the same condition. This is true regardless of magic or tech. The point isn't that people wouldn't make sure their enemies are dead, it's that you donm't do it while someone else is trying to kill you.

That guy on the ground bleeding is currently still a threat if it is sufficiently easy for his companions to return him to the battle.

If your average NPC is taking the time to kick your PCs when they're dying and rationalizing it as "Well, someone may heal them." you're metagaming.

See Hong's First Law.

Runestar

First Post
I would say that in real life, seriously injuring someone is probably more important than killing him outright. If a soldier is dead, you just leave him behind on the battlefield and run for your lives/carry on with your attack. If he is still alive (albeit barely), the soldiers will feel obligated to try and carry him out of the battlefield, which will likely slow them down. Plus, administering aid to him will consume resources. And he will probably be out of the battle anyways.

However, I can see certain particularly cruel or sadistic enemies opting to finish off the PC once and for all, while they still can. For instance, say a PC has been incapacitated via hold person. You know the spell will eventually wear off, so you may want to quickly use this opportunity to administer a CDG.

It is never fun for a PC to die to a CDG, but I can see reasons for it.:)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
It is never fun for a PC to die to a CDG, but I can see reasons for it.:)

Yeah, I agree with you. I definitely wouldn't use it out of hand or very often, but just imagine the hate your group will have for an NPC villain they just watched kill their friend while sadistically smiling at them. Instead of just going after him because the story and plot expect it, they will have true emotional investment in it. Their satisfaction will be that much sweeter once they finally defeat your villain, probably with a suitable coup de' grace themselves.

the Jester

Legend
Monsters should use whatever tactics work based on their abilities, alignments and motivations. Sneaky? Hell yeah! Deceitful? Hell yeah! Tactical? Hell yeah! Brutal, ruthless and efficient? Hell yeah!

Metagamey? Nope.

Unless you're dealing out that last one, you're doing fine and Mr. Whine should STFU, sack up and take it like an adventurer. Those monsters aren't low-hanging xp fruits, and if he expects them to act like it, you really ought to disappoint him.

In a bloody, bloody way.

doppelganger

Explorer
Actually stabbing them when they're down is not typical combat behavior. After combat is over, but not during. When someone is down, they're no longer an immediate threat. His buddy with the big axe or fancy staff and who reeks of guano is. Taking the time during combat to make sure someone is dead is more a sign of insanity, unthinking rage or panic then intelligence.
When we were in Somalia in the 90s we would routinely fire rounds into 'dead' soldiers, mostly because of rumors that they would sometimes fake death and then shoot our guys in the back. I could easily see similar behavior in a fantasy world with healing magic, illusions, and bluff checks so easy to come by.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
It is the monsters against the PCs, and the monsters should use every dirty trick, erm, tactical advantage to the best of their ability to defeat the PCs, because the monsters want to live too!

IceFractal

First Post
Actually, while taking down the healer might be a higher-priority tactic in general, finishing off the fallen guy right next to you is often better in practice. To attack the healer, you often must move past defenders (taking AoOs), and make an attack which may not hit and probably won't kill him. By comparison, taking out a dying guy right next to you is nigh-automatic in 3E, and fairly easy even in 4E. Not to mention that if the monsters are part of a larger force guarding something, and don't expect to singlehandedly defeat the PCs, then killing one will at least make the next group's job easier, and maybe force a a retreat.

Now you still may want to hold back on finishing off the fallen, just to be nice to the players. And that's fine. But that doesn't mean it isn't good tactics - after all, look how often PCs do it when confronted with healing-capable foes.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Now you still may want to hold back on finishing off the fallen, just to be nice to the players. And that's fine. But that doesn't mean it isn't good tactics - after all, look how often PCs do it when confronted with healing-capable foes.
Pretty much, yeah. If it's good for the goose. . .

For example, 'Kill the Mage!' is something that is as likely to echo across either side of the battlefield, often enough.

Remove ads