• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should my group break up?

sparxmith

First Post
Heya Guyzos,

I currently play in a group of 9 members. I co-DM. The other DM and I rotate running separate campaigns and we meet weekly, usually Sunday's. In Dave's campaign, we're nearing the end of RttoEE. After that we'll be starting a new campaign.

With 8 players, combat takes forever. We've instituted a 6 second rule to speed things up, but that really hasn't changed much.

Furthermore, the group is divided in a number of different ways on opinions. Half the group prefers low-magic campaigns, the other half doesn't care or prefers high-magic. Along roughly the same division, half the group would enjoy mixing up different systems (Toon, Spycraft, Super-heroes, etc.), and the other half only wants to play D&D. And a third division, again split roughly the same, wants to play in a home-brew world for Dave's new campaign and the other half abhorrs home brews.

It would seem to me then, that the group would be perfectly suited in splitting. Also, we have 3 players who would like to join our group who can't because of the size.

The one factor that goes against splitting is the chemsitry we have as a group. EVERYONE genuinely likes each other. In the 6 months the groups been together, true friendships have been made. Everyone likes playing together, and everyone likes to hang out from time to time on non-D&D nights.

So has anyone had any experience with splitting a gaming group? Did it destroy the chemistry and friendships established? Did going your separate ways and not seeing each other weekly cause those bonds to weaken?

That about summarizes the issue. Thanx for the input. I'd write more, but Taco Bell is about to close and I want to eat!

Sparxmith

S'mon

Legend
Given the large size & different preferences, if practical you should probably split into 2 groups (low magic & high magic games) with occasional get-togethers. :)

I used to GM for 7 players; currently 5-6, I think more than 6 is pushing it, and more than 4 results in some players getting overlooked.

fba827

Adventurer
Based on the information presented here... I got to say it sounds like you should split up. The game is apperently suffering because of the size... and it appears that the "suffering" is not liked since you have already made attempts to "correct it" (via the 6-second rule) but still not satisfied with the speed.

So split up.. we're not talking breaking up a romance.. sure, you'll see each other less but nothing that can't be fixed. Maybe once every month or two, the separated groups still get together for a big other campaign. Or players can occasionally rotate between groups (though depending on story lines this could be more disruptive than helpful).

anyway, those are just my two cents that aren't worth a nickle. :)

RithTheAwakener

First Post
Id most definately say no. The reason behind this is that (for me at least) friends make the campaign MUCH more enjoyable, even if you dont like whats going on, whether it be high/low magic or home brew. Friends make the game IMHO

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Don't let the game suffer so you can have all your friends there. My suggestion, split it up into two groups with occasional cross-overs.

Sado

First Post
Split into two groups and maybe have everyone still get together at the same time, only for two separate games instead of just one (if you have the room). It'll be like playing in a game store or at a convention with another group at the next table. You guys can still hang out during breaks, etc. Although 12 people might stretch the number of available bathrooms.

crow81

First Post
Here is a thought I have been toying with let me know what everyone thinks.

Has anyone tried the concept of an assistant DM to help with combat and other technical issues that arise during the game that way the main DM can focus on the story. My optimal set up would have 2 assistants with the primary DM watching both battles to keep things running smoothly. It would also be useful with NPC interactions and when the party splits to check different areas.

Just a thought I have not tried it as of yet.

Cor Azer

First Post
If I had the link, this might be the kind of place I'd post the Geek Social Fallacies URL.

Nine players is kind of pushing it. I've run games with that many, but rarely was everyone able to show up, so we usually only had 6 or so players at a time. Just because you're not playing in the same D&D group doesn't mean you're not friends; you did mention that many/most of you also now get together on non-D&D nights, and that'd still be open to you.

To sum up, if it's hampering people's enjoyment, break into smaller groups. If not, as you were!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Are you having fun together?

That's what matters most.

Now, if some of you are concerned with wanting to "get more done" with gaming sessions, one suggestion would be to talk about it, and come up with the best of both worlds: On one week you split into two seperate groups for more "streamlined" play, and on alternating weeks all of you get together to see a movie, have dinner together, or play a hack 'n slash kit-bash D&D game, or whatever.

There's no reason you couldn't do both - but whatever you do, be up front with everbody, just so no one gets a mistaken impression it's because of any hurt feelings or personality conflicts. You just want to try something new and see how it works out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads