• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should new Shapeshifting Druid shapes require a feat?

atomn

Explorer
I was looking over the Druid Shapeshifting variant and some of the shapes that I would like to see are an aquatic form and a form that lets you become smaller. That way you have all terrain covered (land, sea and air) and could become Tiny like a Wild Shape Druid can.

I haven't thought out the mechanics but as a house rule, should additional shapes like these require a feat or could they be added into the list of shapes at the appropriate level (maybe 5th for the aquatic form and 11th for the shrinking form) for no cost? To me they don't seem like they're powerful enough to warrant a feat but I don't trust my game balance intuition.

(Thanks for the help and sorry if this question has been asked numerous times already!)

szilard

First Post
Shapeshifting is much lower in power than Wild Shape... but, on the other hand, Druids with Wild Shape are arguably very overpowered.

I'd say add in something equivalent to the flying form, but with a swim speed instead. Toss in a smaller form if you want. Don't let either of these do anything else new, and you'll be fine.

I think there should be feats that expand shapeshifting options, but the above things are basic enough that they ought to have been included.

-Stuart

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think adding those shapes would be worth a feat each. "Smaller" wouldn't be all that great for a Medium sized guy -- since he could only get to Small, which A Thousand Faces would have given him anyway.

The aquatic feat is a must for some campaigns -- or alternately, allow the PC to choose Aquatic vs. Flight form, and then make a Feat to grant the other one.

Cheers, -- N

atomn

Explorer
Nifft said:
I think adding those shapes would be worth a feat each. "Smaller" wouldn't be all that great for a Medium sized guy -- since he could only get to Small, which A Thousand Faces would have given him anyway.

While begin able to turn one size category smaller may have limited use for a Medium sized character, being able to turn two size categories smaller is useful for a Medium sized character in spying, stealthy and cramped situations. It seems incongruous to be able to turn into a Tiny form and a Medium form but not a Small.

(Also, it looks to me like A Thousand Faces lets you appear a foot taller or shorter but never changes your size category. Or am I missing something?)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
atomn said:
(Also, it looks to me like A Thousand Faces lets you appear a foot taller or shorter but never changes your size category. Or am I missing something?)

You're right; they must have changed it! It used to be based off of alter self rather than a physical variant of disguise self.

No longer playing a Druid, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads