• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Should NPCs be built using the same rules as PCs?

aco175

Legend
You'd sure have to explain that Giant if Giants could be PCs in your game and were hard-capped at strength 20.

If Orcs can't be PCs in your game then there's much more freedom to decide what they've got going for them; but if they can be PCs then IMO you're either bound by the rules for PCs or have to expand the PC-allowable rules such that PC Orcs can be the same as their NPC cousins.
Could you see each race using the racial adjustments that the new edition is getting away from for PCs? I feel they represent the average for each race, so that an average halfling would have +2 DEX and and an average orc +2 STR. This would explain how non-PC examples of that race can be exceptional. I guess that if it was capped at 20 things would be ok.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Could you see each race using the racial adjustments that the new edition is getting away from for PCs? I feel they represent the average for each race, so that an average halfling would have +2 DEX and and an average orc +2 STR. This would explain how non-PC examples of that race can be exceptional. I guess that if it was capped at 20 things would be ok.
Only if those species-based adjusments equally applied to PCs.

aco175

Legend
I'm still not sure how I feel about them. I liked and can see where it makes sense that halflings get +2 Dex and -2 Str and how Elfs get +2 Dex or Int and -2 Con. I'm also kind of fine getting away with the penalties and just having the +2 to a designated attribute for each race based on the general traits of that race. I'm trying to be cool with the idea of placing it anywhere since the PCs are not typical of their race and can be the one in a million halfling stronger than a goliath or such.
I think it matters less to me to have what should be over what the players want to play. I guess overall it is small potatoes.

I think the hair being split here is "an average halfling has 12 dex" doesn't say anything about the range and not much about the distribution - especially since most of use consider pcs to be not typical members of their race. Halfling pcs just need to be able to have a 12 dex at char gen for the first statement to remain true.

If npc halflings have an average dex of 22, then you'd have a problem. (or more likely: why can't my frost giant pc start with a strength of 23? - assuming the dm allowed frost giant pcs, 23 shouldn't even cost a lot of points or require good rolling.)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think the hair being split here is "an average halfling has 12 dex" doesn't say anything about the range and not much about the distribution - especially since most of use consider pcs to be not typical members of their race. Halfling pcs just need to be able to have a 12 dex at char gen for the first statement to remain true.

If npc halflings have an average dex of 22, then you'd have a problem. (or more likely: why can't my frost giant pc start with a strength of 23? - assuming the dm allowed frost giant pcs, 23 shouldn't even cost a lot of points or require good rolling.)
Thing is, is the typical Human in the setting is on a 3-18 bell curve for its stats, then if an Elf gets +2 Dex then that tells me the bell curve range for Elf dexterity runs from 5-20.

Which then tells me an Elf should in theory be able to start with Dex 20 and go from there but cannot possibly start with Dex 4 as the species simply doesn't go that low.

Player: Why does that Orc have a 22 Strength? Orcs are PCs, and we can only go up to 20?!
DM: That Orc, the son of the chieftain, received a special blessing from Gruumsh.
Player: Well, why can't I get a blessing from Grummsh for my Orc?
DM: You totally can.
Player: Is it like a feat or something?
DM: Go ask the blessed Orc and maybe he'll tell you how he got it.

And thus the Player starts on the path of a long quest chain to get the blessing from Gruumsh, which is really only worth about an uncommon magic item. Hooray!

Clarification: a Very Rare item. Belts of stone/frost Giant Strength (str 23) and Manual of Gainful Excercise(+2 str) are Very Rare items.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Simple enough question. What are your thoughts?
I’d prefer not to do so most of the time. An occasional NPC that way is cool though.

I think it can add to the game if all NPCs are built that way - but for me it’s too much work for too little reward - and also a game needs to be designed for pvp to some degree for this to work well on a large scale. D&D 5e isn’t that game.

Retros_x

Explorer
Technically all monster are NPC and they clearly are not build with the same rules. Why should humanoid NPCs do so?

It would also absolutely blow up preperation time if you would need to build a whole PC character for each NPCs. Most of my NPCs actually have 0 pre-written stats and I only build the stuff when I need it in the moment. For example if for some reason an NPC must roll a save I just consider for a moment "Hmm, what DEX modifier is appropiate for this NPC" and than I write it down. The +2 DEX is the only stat that exists next to this NPCs name until there comes the need for another one. Often I do this even after I roll, because when I roll low or high I don't even need to think about a modifier. The DEX is truly irrelevant if I roll a 5 to evade the fireball.

Remove ads