D&D Movie/TV Should the D&D Movie Been Serious or Not Called D&D?

For what it's worth, we don't actually know how much anyone got paid by ticket sales - the splits are quite variable (often the studio gets a big percentage opening weekend but it drops off each week - and the 'normal' rate vary by country and all of this is not disclosed.

Outsiders looking in use 2x as a ballpark because it holds up to observation, not because we know what the actual accounting looks like.

Anywho: BO take is less than announced budget: definitely lost money.
BO is 1x to 2x budget: probably lost money (which is where his film is falling, although as other noted that isn't the same as being a business failure)
BO 2x to 2.5x: probably made money though depending on details it could be close.
BO is 2.5x or better: made money unless your contracts team is really bad at their jobs.

$35M+marketing costs though is a lot of money to make up.
No it's not. My wife does branding campaigns of this size several times a year for companies you have never heard of. And they don't get anywhere near the exposure such as SuperBowl commercials or even national and international exposure.

$35mil is a huge amount of money compared to my annual budget, and it's not trivial for Hasbro, but it's well within their marketing budget. Especially given how they are trying to build the D&D brand. We know the Hasbro advertising budget is in excess of $100million per year. And that probably does not include subsidiaries like WotC etc. Citation and more info here; Hasbro | Advertising Profile | See Their Ad Spend! | MediaRadar

mamba

Legend
BO is 1x to 2x budget: probably lost money (which is where his film is falling, although as other noted that isn't the same as being a business failure)
BO 2x to 2.5x: probably made money though depending on details it could be close.
BO is 2.5x or better: made money unless your contracts team is really bad at their jobs.
aren’t you forgetting marketing, or is that rolled into budget?

Given where you say HAT is falling, it might still be < 1x or only slightly better than 1x (still in the ‘did not make money’ range) on the BO. The only question really is whether everything else (VoD, merch) gets it to turning a profit, which we may never know…

mamba

Legend
We know the Hasbro advertising budget is in excess of $100million per year. And that probably does not include subsidiaries like WotC etc. Citation and more info here; Hasbro | Advertising Profile | See Their Ad Spend! | MediaRadar
that article starts with them having spent under 100M. Literally the first sentence is

“Hasbro spent under $100 million on advertising in digital, print, and national TV in the last year.” (emphasis theirs)

Under is a wide range…

Also, I assume WotC is part of Hasbro for this.

that article starts with them having spent under 100M. Literally the first sentence is

“Hasbro spent under $100 million on advertising in digital, print, and national TV in the last year.” (emphasis theirs)

Under is a wide range…

It also has this;
1686848784129.png

So yes, not the best link. But Google will give you other estimates of their advertising budget, and all of those (that I checked) also said OVER $100 million.

This link shows 2012-2014 and puts the US budget around $200 million/yr. Hasbro: ad spend in the U.S. 2013 | Statista

If you have access to proprietary services, they too confirm the budget is well over $100 million. But I can't share those.

Zardnaar

Legend

Under is a wide range…

Well it's also a Paramount release so Hasbros budget is irrelevant. Hasbro just paid half the production costs.

Zardnaar

Legend
For what it's worth, we don't actually know how much anyone got paid by ticket sales - the splits are quite variable (often the studio gets a big percentage opening weekend but it drops off each week - and the 'normal' rate vary by country and all of this is not disclosed.

Outsiders looking in use 2x as a ballpark because it holds up to observation, not because we know what the actual accounting looks like.

Exact numbers no but it's around 40% foreign, 25% chiba and 60% averages apparently.

Sliding scale studio gets more early in release, theatre gets more longer the movie runs.
D&D didn't get close to 300 million BO which is where it would be iffy that the vack end would close the gap.

One can also use other movies to estimate the marketing budget. A cheap campaign woukd be 30-40million for a 150 million movie.

375+ million was the figure thrown around by a Hollywood insider as an estimated break even point and that's assuming a modest advertising budget ,(read cheap).

There's an 80 million hole minimum the back end has to fill (50 million production, 30 million advertising). And that's assuming they went with the cheapest campaign possible anything less is purely idiotic for a 160 million movie.

We don't know who's paying what or getting what but some gonna eat that loss.

Even if HAT makes Mario money on VoD its still a dunking.

Hasbro might swuekbout a win but if so is at Paramounts expense.

No one knows the exact details but don't hold your breath expecting a sequel anytime soon woukd be my advice.

More pessimistic take "Sequel lol you're dreaming".

If it makes one fee vetter it seems there's been a recent string of flops/under achieving bigger budget movies last few weeks starting with FastX.

Mirtek

Hero
* Is Hero Quest within D&D multiverse?
As in that old Milton Bradly Boardgame that recently got a re-release?

Nope, it originally was in the Warhammer Fantasy universe but they lost the license for the re-release and that's why one of the monsters and a couple of terms had to be replaced.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I wouldn't have been impressed by a blood-and-incest take on D&D. It doesn't reflect my experience with the game and would have done nothing for the brand. I might have enjoyed it, but I would have been compelled to tell anyone who wanted to listen that it was not D&D and you shouldn't be concerned about letting your kids play it.

Would removing the brand name from the title have helped the movie's box office? Eh, no idea, and it would have defeated the object.

For the record, I loved it. Literally every D&D player I know loved it. We all went to see it, some twice. I'm not sure what more they could have done, in terms of creating a quality product.

Remove ads