• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should the DMG be the cheapest core book?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Now I know it's a crazy thing to ask. Everyone needs a Player's Handbook right? So obviously they're able to leverage some printing logistics on it.

However, without a DM, the game isn't going anywhere.

4e, if it wants to be even more successful than 3e, needs to make sure that the game is nice and easy to run and that means not only the mechanical changes we've seen in terms of things like monster design, but also making sure that the DM isn't getting the screws when it comes to buying things to make his game work.

Opinions?

Pale Jackal

First Post
My opinion is:

Should I even buy the DMG? What is it offering me in the way of mechanics? Possibly Paragon/Epic Paths, and Traps?

Is that all? Is that really worth it? I feel like I'd be better off buying one of the good splat books.

I really like that they put in the "PC stats" for Kobolds, Minotaurs, Gnomes etc. in the MM (plus, with some of the abilities for monsters we've seen so far, I'm actually interested in using monsters from the MM... Bugbear Strangler? Kobold "mob" and "shifty" abilities? So much more interesting than monsters where all you really need to know is their BAB, AC, HP, saves, damage and maybe a bland special attack or two.)

Originally I thought to myself, "Maybe I should just get the PHB and DMG?" since I tend to prefer making up unique monsters. Now I'm asking myself, after having checked out the 3E DMG recently, "Do I really need the DMG?" especially since I tend to prefer low level play, and hate resurrection/teleport etc.

I don't need another 200 page book telling me how to deal with obscure issues like town NPC make up or NPC classes... I can do that on my own.

dm4hire

Explorer
With more of the rules being incorporated into the PHB there is becoming less need for the actual DMG. I wouldn't mind seeing just one book for player/DM and then the Monster Manual. D&D is one of the few games left that still has separate books for the game master and players, but requires the DM to know both books. If they are going to have three books then they should make it so the DM literally doesn't need the PHB, just the DMG and Monster Manuals. All the encounter fluff from the DM, i.e. environment info could be moved to the MM giving more room to put the important PHB info in it. Would be so nice to only need two books to run the game instead of all three. And I know if you really wanted just the first two as you could probably wing something as far as monsters based off what is presented in the DMG. I remember in 1st when it actually had a small monster section in the DMG.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Speaking as a long-term DM, this is actually the first DMG in a long time that I really look forward to. Personally, I feel that this DMG, from what they've said, contains more things of interest than any before.

The traps sound cool interesting, as do the templates, etc, and it sounds like it may actually have some interesting theory on the art of DMing. I certainly don't need a how-to DM primer, but this book seems like a lot more than that to me.

I'm pretty sure I only ever used the 3rd edtion DMG for magic item reference, (though I could be forgetting - I haven't used it in quite a while.)

Fitz

Smart

First Post
I'm sure I'll buy the DMG. There are essentials for the game usually in the DMG that can be found no where else, like encounter design tables, experience point tables, etc.

As far as price, obviously the best-selling book, with the most possibility for profits and margin is the PHB. There is also an argument for a player owning a MM for more racial possibilities (although I must admit as a DM I prefer players to stay out of books other than the PHB and player option books. There's nothing worse then a player looking at monster stats as they play. That's why no players have seen the inside of my Ptolus Tome ;) ).

I like the idea of the DMG being less costly - but DMs are going to need all three core books, so in the long run it really doesn't matter what the pricepoints are - except for perhaps the three-book set price.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
They've actually stated (in a podcast IIRC) that the DMG is simply not needed for play. The PHB has everything you need as a player and the MM has everything you need as a DM.

The DMG is basically going to be fluff.

keterys

First Post
Some of the playtesters have also said this was the most useful DMG yet... and I'll admit, it actually sounds like it.

Pale Jackal

First Post
Cadfan said:
"Not needed for play" and "fluff" are not the same thing.

I'd call them the same. :p

I'm still curious about the Paths (if any) the DMG will contain, but I suspect it'd be prudent for me to pass on it.

Remove ads