• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should the game have extensive weapon lists?

Should the game have extensive weapon lists?

• Yes. I enjoy perusing and selecting from list of weapons and reading about their differences.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • No. Long lists of weapons get in the way of the fun.

Votes: 80 42.8%
  • I have no strong feelings either way.

Votes: 41 21.9%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Never been a fan of linear warrior/quadratic wizard myself.
I was thinking more on a day-to-day scale - rabbit wizard, tortoise fighter; and we know who won that race. :)

Yeah, I'm remembering it now. It was that Fighter power that basically allowed them to do damage in a burst radius around themselves and mark multiple creatures at once. It also pulled creatures towards them. Was it mind control? Was it a charm or compulsion? It was one of those "dissociated mechanics" people complained about; or at least people who a) cared about immersion (Fantasy aesthetic) and b) needed martial powers to be explicitly non-supernatural in any way and c) needed hp to represent actual physical damage and not something more abstract. Basically, everyone who hated 4e to begin with :p
Well, as I completely agree with a) here and mostly agree with b) and c)...

Sounds like something someone saw in a movie once and thought "hey, that'd be neat", then tried to shoehorn it into the game no matter whether it fit or not.

That said...I just thought of a possibly interesting variant: character A invokes the Come and Get It ability (a psionicist would make the most sense) but the marking and movement is all toward willing ally character B (the party tank, one hopes).

Lan-"the name, of course, would have to change to 'Go and Get It'"-efan

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
C&GI. Inspiring Word. Blinding Barrage. Commander's Strike.

Any 5e character can do Commander's Strike with a feat, and it's even strictly martial. Any 5e character can also use the equivalent to Inspiring Word in 5e with a feat, though depending on how you did so it would be "magical" (oh no!). See below on that though. Now, my 5e fighter can't C&GI or Blinding Barrage. What can he do though? He can taunt. Any character can taunt, in any edition. Granted, only the 4e fighter can deal damage with that taunt, but I'm not positive that we need a taunt that does AoE damage in the game. My rogue can throw some sand in someone's face for a one-round blind. They don't do damage with the exact same action, but talk is free and I can rule kicking up sand is a bonus action.

Again, the 4e Fighter or Rogue fairly explicitly can't do those things if they don't have the power on their character sheet. The 5e Fighter or Rogue (or AD&D Fighter or Thief) do not need a power to tell them they can do these things. They need only tell the DM what they want to try to do, and let the DM decide how to resolve the action.

Your point is refuted, categorically. Don't bother trying that one again.

Your point is refuted, categorically. Don't bother trying that one again.

You're mistaking the invalid edition war criticisms of 4e with it's design process. H4ters would go off on something as being 'too supernatural,' then, when a perfectly natural visualization was offered, as 'dissociative mechanics.'

I actually agree with you here. Which is the whole reason why I say you don't need a power on your character sheet to tell you you can still do those very same things. "Martial" characters should be allowed to do supernatural (superhuman? Are these terms not interchangeable? Does nothing matter? Is this real life?) things. Game balance rather depends on it.

Heh. And the flavor text of a power could be changed by the player. So not really any 'limitation' at all. You could describe your power how you liked, it just didn't change the mechanics.

Okay.

No seriously, why is this still an argument then? If you can just change the flavor text, including the power source of the power itself, why is taking a feat to learn healing word and re-flavoring it as a non-magical inspiring word not acceptable? I am struggling heavily with the dissociation (no pun intended!) here.

Actually 5e does necessarily require exact positioning, you can't state all ranges and movement in feet, and all areas in precise geometric shapes, and /not/ require exact positioning. You can leave tracking (or hand-waving) that do the DM, by neglecting to give him any tools, of course. ;P

That's empowerment.

AD&D had measurements in feet and precise geometric shapes. So did 3.X. I never felt compelled to use miniatures and game mats to track precise positioning until 4e. You could that 3.X had precise positioning as a default, but it wasn't so baked into the system that it couldn't be fairly easily ignored. And 5e is a lot softer on that than 3.X ever was, to say nothing of AD&D.

It's one of many martial exploits that did stuff prior-ed and 5e martial characters couldn't begin to do. A very controversial one, for that reason.

And we probably shouldn't take it any further than that. ;)

Edit: too late.

Should we talk about damage on a miss now? :p

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Any 5e character can do Commander's Strike with a feat, and it's even strictly martial.
Your assertion was that everything a 4e martial character could do could be done by a character in a /prior/ edition. I mentioned Commander's Strike because it's something you couldn't do in the classic game nor (AFAIK - there's been a lot created for it - 3.5)

As retro as 5e may feel, it did not precede 4e. Sure, 5e has something called Commander's Strike. It's closer to Hammer & Anvil, but it has it.

Now, my 5e fighter can't C&GI or Blinding Barrage.
Nor several hundred other things.

What can we do though? He can taunt. Any character can taunt, in any edition.
Ding! Something anyone can do is not character- nor class-defining. It's not an ability, it's a baseline from which actual abilities are defined.

Granted, only the 4e fighter can deal damage with that taunt
C&GI dealt damage with the weapon, and was not a taunt in the usual sense (the enemy didn't need to be able to hear you, you didn't need to speak their language).

Again, the 4e Fighter or Rogue fairly explicitly can't do those things if they don't have the power on their character sheet.
That's what options are. If you take them, you can do them, if you don't, you can't. If you don't have them in the first place, you can't do them, either. You can just do what everyone can do.

Now, in 4e, anyone could improvise, and there were the famed 'pg 42' guidelines for that, and they could be pretty effective (about on par with an encounter power).

The 5e Fighter or Rogue (or AD&D Fighter or Thief) do not need a power to tell them they can do these things.
They can't do 'em, we've already covered that. That can declare actions that anyone could declare, that will work about as well as they would for anyone else. That's not an ability, that's a baseline. That's the calibration of 0 on the 0-to-hero-o-meter.

I actually agree with you here. "Martial" characters should be allowed to do supernatural (superhuman? Are these terms not interchangeable?
They are not. To understand the difference consider /how/ a thing is accomplished. In the natural course of things, you can pick up an object and throw it if you're strong enough. That's a natural ability. You can not cause a heavy object to move just by concentrating on it. That's a supernatural ability. If you can pick up and throw an object much heavier than any human being ever could, that's super-human, but not super-natural.

Got it? Good.

Game balance rather depends on it.
Game balance, in 5e, depends on the DM.

No seriously, why is this still an argument then? If you can just change the flavor text
You could just change the flavor text in 4e, and re-skin away, but the supposed 'dissociation' between that flavor text (that you had complete effing control over) and the 'mechanics' was an unforgivable flaw. Crazy, I know. Your join date's 2007, unless you wandered off (I wouldn't blame you for that) you'd've seen it.

why is taking a feat to learn healing word and re-flavoring it as a non-magical inspiring word not acceptable? I am struggling heavily the dissociation (no pun intended!) here.
Even in 4e, that wouldn't've worked, because keywords, including Source, were a mechanical aspect and couldn't just be re-skinned.
It also wasn't necessary, since you just plain had inspiring word. Most classes had enough powers that they didn't need to poach & re-skin eachother's.

5e just doesn't work that way, healing word is an actual spell, you must know it, prep it, and cast it, the rules for spells are designed to make them distinct from everything that's not a spell.
You can pretend it's something else, but you're only fooling yourself.

AD&D had measurements in feet and precise geometric shapes. So did 3.X. I never felt compelled to use miniatures and game mats to track precise positioning until 4e.
A lot of people, when 3e was the current ed, said they never felt that same need until 3e. The groused that 3e was so terribly, horribly, wrongbadfun 'grid dependent.' They said they never had to do that in 2e. 3e's treatment of the grid was all but lifted from 2e C&T. Plenty of folks used minis the whole time. One DM I gamed with for years in the early 80's brought 40 lbs of lead minis to the game very week.

Fact is, D&D started life as a wargame, you were always meant to play it on a surface, with minis. A lot of us didn't - minis were expensive! - but that's what the rules were designed for from the beginning, and they've never been re-designed to work well without /some/ way of tracking movement, area & positioning.

wrecan, back on the Wizard's board, came up with a set of tricks he called 'SARN-FU' that you could use to run 4e that way. Ironically, that's as close as D&D has ever come to TotM support, some fan-authored variant.
13th Age has been designed to work that way, or with minis, it actually delivers TotM by default, FWIW.
5e is not, it's system isn't much better suited to 'TotM' than 0e or 1e or any other wargame, let alone any other edition of D&D. ;P

The whole 'grid dependent' thing is just an easy dig. It's always been true, it's always been fairly easily ignored, so ignore it selectively and point the finger at the ed you don't like.

Sad.

Should we talk about damage on a miss now? :p
There's a thread about whether the game really needs saves. That'd be a good place.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't think the game really needs a more extensive weapon list. It could perhaps be expanded slightly with new weapon properties but I don't really think it is required. Generally, if someone wants to use a weapon that isn't on the list we'll just use a weapon that is similar to it. For instance, if we want a katana then I'll just use the long sword stats and call it a katana.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ahh.. the fighter taunt power. Something no fighter before or since has ever been able to do. :p

You seem to have a fundamental, and understandable, misunderstanding of how 4e works.

Every character in 4e can taunt an enemy into attacking them. The fighter with Come and Get It can do it with a single attack roll, and maybe some fancy rider effect. Powers, especially martial powers but also magic ones, represent things you have trained to do, up in your muscle memory banks, as it were, and are better at than other people.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I'd prefer damage to be based more on class. d4 for Squishies, up to d10 for heavies, reserve d12 for specials (feat, specialization, two-handed, etc.) Let the weapons be differentiated by all the little keyword differences.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EN World mobile app

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Re: grid use
A lot of people, when 3e was the current ed, said they never felt that same need until 3e. The groused that 3e was so terribly, horribly, wrongbadfun 'grid dependent.' They said they never had to do that in 2e. 3e's treatment of the grid was all but lifted from 2e C&T. Plenty of folks used minis the whole time. One DM I gamed with for years in the early 80's brought 40 lbs of lead minis to the game very week.
We've used minis and a sort-of grid since day 1, back in the early '80's, but even then it seemed 3e really formalized use of the grid - how spaces worked, how movement worked, how reach worked, pixellated fireballs, that sort of thing - to a far greater extent than anything we'd seen (we ignored just about everything rules-wise from late 2e). 4e took it a step or three further.

Fact is, D&D started life as a wargame, you were always meant to play it on a surface, with minis. A lot of us didn't - minis were expensive! - but that's what the rules were designed for from the beginning, and they've never been re-designed to work well without /some/ way of tracking movement, area & positioning.
Absolutely, but it still doesn't have to be as buttoned-down and restrictive as 3e-4e have it.

Lanefan

Remove ads