• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should there be overcasting/exerting mechanics?

The warrior marshals his reserves of strength, and expends it in a single, punishing blow that crushes his foe but leaves him weak and gasping. The rogue puts all her mental and physical resources into a leap, just clearing the yawning drop and lands scrabbling for grip on a rooftop. The wizard pours every remaining ounce of arcane energy she can grasp into a final fireball, doubling its blast effect.

Should 5E have mechanics that allows this sort or overexertion or overcasting, at a sacrifice or risk of detrimental effect?

For example, the fighter could choose to sacrifice an attack, or make a roll to risk straining a muscle and suffer a penalty on further attacks, in order to double or triple the damage from one single attack.

The wizard could sacrifice additional castings/spell slots, in order to enhance the effect of a single spell.

What say you?

Grydan

First Post
As a core mechanic? Probably too newfangled and complex to justify.

As something to consider as (yet another) modular add-on? It certainly seems like a reasonable option to me, especially if combined with something like a wound system.

Harlock

First Post
The warrior marshals his reserves of strength, and expends it in a single, punishing blow that crushes his foe but leaves him weak and gasping. The rogue puts all her mental and physical resources into a leap, just clearing the yawning drop and lands scrabbling for grip on a rooftop. The wizard pours every remaining ounce of arcane energy she can grasp into a final fireball, doubling its blast effect.

Should 5E have mechanics that allows this sort or overexertion or overcasting, at a sacrifice or risk of detrimental effect?

For example, the fighter could choose to sacrifice an attack, or make a roll to risk straining a muscle and suffer a penalty on further attacks, in order to double or triple the damage from one single attack.

The wizard could sacrifice additional castings/spell slots, in order to enhance the effect of a single spell.

What say you?

A long time ago I played a MUD that allowed overexertion and overcasting (but without the benefit of increased spell damage) and the presence was negligible if you were actually in a party. The healer took care of it right away and there was really no consequence unless you were solo. Double and triple damage just to have a Cleric pop off the appropriate heal spell seems very unbalanced to me.

Kavon

Explorer
I like the idea and can see it being used by many who wish for this style of play, but like others have said, it should definately be a modular option and not be part of the simple core of the game.

A long time ago I played a MUD that allowed overexertion and overcasting (but without the benefit of increased spell damage) and the presence was negligible if you were actually in a party. The healer took care of it right away and there was really no consequence unless you were solo. Double and triple damage just to have a Cleric pop off the appropriate heal spell seems very unbalanced to me.

I'd recommend if this type of mechanics were included (and I'm down with an optional module myself) that it NOT be something that can be "cured" within the encounter. Make the sacrifice and live with it.

TANSTAAFL

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm not a huge fan of this paradigm; it's a patch. You have a normal ability that works the same way every time, unless you overcast it.

I think the real question is should there be a variation in quality with some of these abilities. Should everyone have access to power attack, fighting defensively, and the like? (Yes). Should every spell randomly vary in quality? (I'd like them to). Then the overcasting thing becomes redundant.

Raith5

Adventurer
I like the idea that PC can measure their attacks. But is this essentially a 4th ed a daily power with possibility some form of after effect? In a narrative sense, I think of daily and encounter powers in this way - the measured and rationed use of their abilities.

In gameplay, this could lead to PCs hanging back, then swooping in to save the day. The rest of the party strolls into combat and gets beaten up while one guy hangs back. Then, at the pivotal moment, that guy shows up, fully fresh and able to over-exert himself to make up for the time he wasn't around.

Eh, I dunno. I'd be okay with a little bit of this, like maybe once an encounter you can deal a ton of damage to yourself to get a big boost to a roll, or ensure a nat 20.

Remove ads