Should we get rid of demons and devils?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Oh. Hell. No.

And I want to be able to call my demons tanar'ri and my devils baatezu, and my yugoloths yugoloths*. 3e used both 1e and 2e names, and life was good. We should stick with that. But we should also have the darker more mature look at the fiends that 2e Planescape gave us (and also that late 3.x gave us in Fiendish Codex I for instance).

*I already have daemons in Pathfinder, and Great Wheel NE fiends have always been yugoloths to me since they were named daemons for maybe like 2% of the page count that has covered them in D&D ever.

Last edited:

Jawsh

First Post
Just to be clear, the original post here is the textbook definition of trolling. I don't mean that as an insult, and I happen to agree with the original poster's message behind the message, but a spade is a spade.

beej

Explorer
I say keep them and put the succubus back as a demon. I like to have my chaotic evil lust incarnate back, and the anime alternative of lust demon is too... male. :D

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'd also strongly advocate reversing some of the changes to fiends that 4e did without IMO any real need to do so. Succubi as devils, yugoloths scattered about as demons or unique non-associated breeds of fiends, with some of them keeping their prior naming convention but others randomly not, etc.

Demons and devils (and 'loths) need to stay. Though the fluff needs some massaging, the more clear division of types that came with 4E can stay. Keep the baatezu and tanarri labels as secondary names, too. Bring back the Blood War.

IronWolf

blank
Demons and Devils definitely need to stay. I don't even use them all that often (that needs to change), but they need to be a part of the game.

Tallifer

Hero
People say this or that thing does not feel like D&D to them, and we need such and such other thing.

But I say we need boobies, chainmail bikinis, demons and devils, and self-righteous paladins burning wicked witches and butchering infant evil goblins.

Remove ads