• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shuriken, not off-handed?

Aristotle

First Post
I'm trying to make sense of this... You can effectively throw daggers, axes, and hammers with your off hand... but you can't throw shuriken? Am I missing something?

I'm seriously considering saying the off-hand property only applies to melee. Realistically it's much harder to hit something at range with your off-hand, but for the sake of the cinematics of the game I'll just allow all "Light Thrown" weapons be thrown off-handed.

Crashy75

First Post
I'm trying to make sense of this... You can effectively throw daggers, axes, and hammers with your off hand... but you can't throw shuriken? Am I missing something?

I'm seriously considering saying the off-hand property only applies to melee. Realistically it's much harder to hit something at range with your off-hand, but for the sake of the cinematics of the game I'll just allow all "Light Thrown" weapons be thrown off-handed.

No, Shuriken are a ranged weapon. The off hand property only applies to melee weapons and you can't (as far as I know anyway) use them in melee. I don't think there are any issues with throwing them with either hand and I think your house rule is assumed.

Crazydwarf

First Post
Yes I do belive you are missing something.
Personally I find it odd but I see the game mechanical value of it to make the system less complicated.

1. Everyone in 4e is basicly ambidexterous. Meaning both hands are equally good.
It doesn't matter to the game mechanics if you are right handed or left, or even alternating between the two at your whim.

What DOES matter is if you are using a weapon "off handed" or not.
You basicly NEVER use a weapon "off handed" if youre just using one weapon. There is no negative impact to using either hand or swiching them up if you somehow should need to.

2. As far as I know it is not possible to throw two throwing weapons at once (the TWF feats only applies to melee AFAIK).
Since you can alternate freely which hand is off or main, we basicly reach the same thing you allready said "I'm seriously considering saying the off-hand property only applies to melee"
it DOES only apply to melee since: 1. It doesnt matter wich hand you use and 2. unless a power or feat states otherwise you can only throw one weapon at a time. Wich is always with your "main hand" regardless if that is left or right at the moment.

So go right ahead and allow them to be thrown left right and center :D
Youre not breaking any rules in place, and need not worry.

Aristotle

First Post
See.. that makes sense, and I already basically knew that. I'm not sure why one and one didn't come out to two in my head. Thanks for the walk-through though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads