• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shut it down! [Problem Solving]

Stone Angel

First Post
Well you have Anti magic ray from the Draconomicon. Just not sure how many of those that will take.

Black ball of destruction if you have access to ninth level spells or a couple of them, Mordenkainens disjunction.

Summon a djinn and wish it down.

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

The_Universe

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I thought you were working with characters level 10 to 15.
You are somewhere in that range, but as I stated, you may have more powerful allies available (nothing higher than 20, though).

Most importantly, though you could not cast such a spell yourself, a scroll could probably be acquired, and it is not so far outside the range of Use Magic Device - perhaps you might use that spell to create an item?

I'm not trying to lock you in to specifics - just trying to see all the ways it could be done! :)

Keep the ideas flowing!

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Pfft. In that case, I'd pound the place with Mord's Disjunction until the cows came home.

visage

First Post
Well, I like the Disintegrate idea, but another idea is to use Transmute Rock to Mud on the bedrock that the Tower stands upon, followed by the mages with disintegrate to hit the towers now revealed foundation then toss the explosives into the open holes and ignite them to destroy the tower from within by making sure the thing topples.

Impeesa

Explorer
A 15th level Artificer could make single-use, contingent-triggered items with Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Make them in the form of catapult stones, as suggested above, and pound the place with them. With the right feats, he could even do it for fairly cheap.

--Impeesa--

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Impeesa said:
A 15th level Artificer could make single-use, contingent-triggered items with Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Make them in the form of catapult stones, as suggested above, and pound the place with them. With the right feats, he could even do it for fairly cheap.
... I like that idea, actually.

visage

First Post
Yeah, human, takes 4 legendary artificer feats and one or two of those that reduce the GP cost of the item and you have a scary magic making machine.

guyjin

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
I thought you were working with characters level 10 to 15.

Mord. Disjunction isn't that too far away from them. (a wizard, IIRC, can get it at level 18.) Perhaps they could get their hands on a scroll of disjunction?

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Well, if they do have access to 9th lvl spells, I might be inclined to make several permanent teleportation circles. Then I'd design a strike force to secure the area (hopefully someplace defendable and remote enough to escape notice) with illusions and anti-scrying magic. After that I'd storm with the bulk of my forces-say ten circles all transporting troops every round for an hour. If there is protection from teleportation I would go with the magical sappers mixed with non-magical sappers to destroy the integrity of the foundation--again with illusion and anti-scrying magic for stealth. Sounds like fun thought--have fun.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Obviously the tower is not totally impregnable. Work out exactly what it is that defends the tower. Do NOT work out a way of getting in - let the players do that.

Make a primary and secondary objective. The primary objective is to get to the heart of the tower and take it out. The heart itself is probably soft and squishy. Take it out, then the explosives can do their work. Of course the heroes then have to escape before it blows - but with something like teleport, that's not really an issue unless you do something like suppress all magic within the tower (that might, however, be a secondary effect of destroying the heart?).

The secondary objective might be to kill everyone in the tower and take it for your own forces/bend the heart to your own will. Then you have the tower for yourself.

Now you just need to map the place out, and you've got a nice assault scenario.

Remove ads