Shut up out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tewligan

First Post
Gaa! So, I moved to Portland, Oregon a few weeks ago, and I'm both entertained and irritated by something that happens outside the apartment every Saturday morning. By 7:00 am at the latest, a group of 5-8 protestors gathers outside a building just cattycorner across the intersection we're on. They have signs with really graphic photos, and usually a couple of young children holding the signs as well. The biggest offender in the group, though, is this guy who has a horrible hoarse, braying voice who just shouts almost nonstop until they leave, which is hardly ever before 11 am. As it turns out, being awakened by this nimrod shouting about "Nazi Portland" and how people are going to hell is not the awesomest way to start the weekend. It was stepped up a notch this morning, though - a neighbor has gotten sick of the Saturday Protest Show, and was outside yelling back and forth with them for hours. It was getting heated enough that 3 police officers showed up to make sure things didn't get out of hand. The neighbor was yelling about how he pays a lot to live here, how they should go protest in their own neighborhoods, and he doesn't appreciate Shouty yelling into his living room every morning. Never mind that the neighbor was almost as loud and obnoxious as the guy he was yelling at, and probably a bit more vulgar than necessary (although the vulgarity did amazingly clean up a bit when the police arrived.) In addition to all of that, drivers passing through the intersection are often irritated enough to honk, shout at the group, and then squeal their tires as they peel off. Criminy, I just wanna SLEEP on Saturday mornings!

Anyway, had to get that off my chest. I intentionally stayed vague on the particulars of the protest, since I don't want to stir up forbidden topics - just a little venting about the disturbance of my beauty sleep!

Tewligan

First Post
It's outside a women's health clinic, and they're protesting a certain procedure ofttimes found at such places.

Heckler

First Post
I'll suggest talking to them like reasonable people. Explain how oppose their views, you (and the rest of the neighborhood) just want to sleep in. Maybe they could take the afternoon shift instead?

Also, I can't imagine the clinic being very busy on Saturday morning. They'd probably be more effective later in the day.

If that doesn't work, invest in a Super Soaker. :]

Tewligan

First Post
Heckler said:
I'll suggest talking to them like reasonable people. Explain how oppose their views, you (and the rest of the neighborhood) just want to sleep in. Maybe they could take the afternoon shift instead?

Also, I can't imagine the clinic being very busy on Saturday morning. They'd probably be more effective later in the day.

If that doesn't work, invest in a Super Soaker. :]
Oh, if only they were that reasonable. I've seen/heard people trying that over the past couple of weeks. When that happens, Shouty just stares straight ahead and continues to bellow at the top of his lungs. Grr!

Check the City (and neighborhood) Ordinances (Surprised the Police didn't make some sort of Fuss).

A lot of Places have Noise Ordinances (Both Total Volume & when Noisy stuff can begin).

Also, depending on how many people show up to protest, they might need a city permit for their Protest.

Otherwise...

Get with everyone that's also fed up, crank up your sound systems as high as the will go, and put on Micheal Bolton's Greatest Hits.

Then, leave for a few hours.

That oughta drive em off.

Dude, you should ALWAYS take note of your surroundings when selecting an apartment. I think you dropped the ball on this one.

I had a friend in Japan who found a really cheap apartment next to the Korean embassey in Osaka. Little did he know that the Japanese right wing militants show up there on almost a daily basis with sound trucks. He dropped the ball, too.

Next time take stock of everything, not just the price.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
megamania said:
ah.....the 1st admendment....... they forgot to enter ...unless it causes one to lose sleep..... :D
There's quite a lot of exceptions to the 1st amendment. But listing them would be political, wouldn't it?

To the OP - Sadly, if the cops come by but nothing changes it sounds like you don't have great noise ordinances in your area. :( Consider your rant received and sympathiesed with - I had catty cornered "neighbors" with a wanna be rock band practicing out back one summer. If you are not directly adjacent to me, and my windows are closed and the AC on and it's still drowning out what I'm trying to listen to, its too loud! :mad:

(hint to would be rock stars, you don't actually need the amps at full when you are practicing.)

Imruphel

First Post
Tewligan said:
It's outside a women's health clinic, and they're protesting a certain procedure ofttimes found at such places.

Congratulations to the protesters for making a stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads