• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sid Meier's Pirates!

evildmguy

Explorer
I preordered the DVD version because it has the original version on it! I spent hours playing this on my Commodore 64. I even got pretty good at the ship combat. (Turn guns towards them, kinda aim, shoot, get out of their return fire, close to take the ship.)

I am looking forward to this as I did hear it is an updated version of the old game. I hope so! :)

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

Wycen

Explorer
TheAuldGrump said:
Heh Pirates was a game I played on three different computers... Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga (the best version), and a Tandy IBM clone.

Pirates Gold had a little problem with the Straits of Gibralter, which were about 1 pixel wide...

The Auld Grump, yeah, I want this.

I was in OfficeMax or the other version a few years ago and saw a box of Pirates Gold! and grabbed it up. I ended up having to turn off hardware acceleration in order to play it, but wow it brought back memories. Too bad I was never very good at the game, especially attacking a castle via the sea.

Agamon

Adventurer
The original is still one of the funnest games I've ever played. Wow, if the DVD version comes with the original, I'm defnitely getting that.

I hope this game lives up to the fun level of it's predecessor, and isn't not fun, like, say, oh, Sea Dogs...

Pirate Hunter is basically the old Pirates game. There are very few differences; one being no land combat and the other being that you're a pirate hunter rather than a pirate (although you can become a pirate if you don't acquire letters of marque).

Port Royale 2 is sort of like Pirates (and uses the same engine as Pirate Hunter) but much more economically focused.

If you've got the itch for Pirates, then Pirate Hunter will scratch that itch.

CapNorge

Explorer
Actually, with alot of my friends waiting for World of Warcraft, when I found out about the re-release of Pirates, this was the game that I've been really waiting for!

Brandigan

Explorer
I picked this game up today and highly recommend it. The graphics might not measure up to some of the big titles right now but it is a blast to play. I never played the original but I did play a lot of games on the commie 64 in the mid 80's and it has that same kind of gameplay. It should run smooth even on low end systems.
You could pretty much do what you want from being a peaceful merchant to ransacking towns. Ballroom dancing to hunting for buried treasure. One of those games that makes you want to call in sick. Hehe.

Goodsport

Explorer
I've just finished watching The Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl on DVD (Widescreen version, of course ;) ). Is that good preparation for this game?
pirateface.gif

-G

Ranger REG

Explorer
Goodsport said:
I've just finished watching The Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl on DVD (Widescreen version, of course ;) ). Is that good preparation for this game?
pirateface.gif
Sorry, not enough credit. To be fully certified, you must spend 2 grueling hours watching Cutthroat Island with Geena Davis.

:]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads