• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sigh] Retiring from RPGs. Here's why.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
When I GM 3.5 I don't use most of the rules, such as skills. Skills only come into play in truly difficult situations. I also still "wing it" by just creating a dungeon's shell and making up the monsters abilities on the fly.

Now I can't wait to get my copy of CnC and Lejendary Adventures. They are coming in this week.

This is burnout, plain and simple. Didn't Eric Noah himself do this recently? But he's still around after all. (And we're better for it as well.) I agree, don't dump all your stuff onto the market just yet.

mmadsen

First Post
Biohazard said:
I usually DM. And it's so much work that it just isn't worth the time involved.
It sounds like you should be using a lighter rules system, like Savage Worlds, True20, or even a "free" Kriegsspiel, where the GM simply makes judgment calls and rolls a die.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Varianor Abroad said:
This is burnout, plain and simple. Didn't Eric Noah himself do this recently? But he's still around after all. (And we're better for it as well.) I agree, don't dump all your stuff onto the market just yet.

Almost exactly a year ago. Different reasons, same effect.

However, about 6 months later I did start to feel the itch again, but for a different style of game. I now run mini-campaigns, using almost exclusively published materials. Cuts down on my prep time, and I'm having fun, though it is a different kind of fun than when I was a the top of my game, crafting it all myself. The pressure isn't there, which is good, but the sense of accomplishment is lacking, too. I guess you can't have it all! :)

buzz

Adventurer
I would also recommend looking at some systems that are truly low- and zero-prep and not wholly dependent on the GM's ability: InSpectres, Dogs in the Vineyard, Donjon, Polaris, Mortal Coil, Universails, Primetime Adventures, etc. IMO, True20, C&C, and similar RPGs are, IMO, too close to the basic D&D model (and even more dependent on the GM) to alleviate some of the problems you've expressed.

That said, it's okay to focus on hobbies that are providing you the fun you want. Life is change, and you're tired of the way you've been playing your RPGs. Take a break, but hold on to some of your books. You may very well get the itch again.

fusangite

First Post
To echo others on the thread, it seems to me that you have decided that RPGs=D&D. That's a shame. For the 26 years I have been playing RPGs, I have played D&D for 9 of them.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Reading Buzz's posts after some time away from EN World is like being in a book club. Now I need to add iInSpectres and Mortal Coil to my reading list.

Anywho: by all means, take a break from RPGs! But before you give it up for good, try something indie and weird.

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Well, as a 33 year old father of two, I understand, but...

I've finally figured out how to run a good game without spending a lot of time in preparation. The trick comes from being able to select the right modules and being able to tie them together. I'm using a pre-packaged campaign setting (The Wilderlands), pre-packaged gods (The FR pantheon, with minor changes), two main modules (Tomb of Abysthor and Rod of Seven Parts (2e)), and a few other minor supplements (Artificer's Handbook for magic item creation, WoTC splat books as needed by the players), and really not much else.

I spend approximately ZERO hours each week preparing for the game. If I have spare time at work, I might tinker with the treasure in a given room to make it more unique or interesting, or stat out some beasties to fight, should the players choose to fight them, or work up a few plot hooks and ways to tie in player backgrounds, etc. Those things don't take much time.

I run monsters as they are from the book - I don't spend an hour statting out a bad-guy for him to die in 5 minutes. I don't spend two days drawing up a map that the party will ignore, or bypass, or run through in 4 hours. It's not worth it. It's all about ROI - return on investment.

For me, it makes the most sense to use pre-packaged stuff, tweak it ever so slightly, and just adlib the rest. The game is about killing stuff, and advancing the story. For me, pace is everything. My players love it, and they're clamboring to play week after week.

BroccoliRage

First Post
Take a break from rpg's. Play a board game. MY group has been playing HeroScape and we've been having a blast. Sure, it's a very simplistic "wargame", but it's a blast. There's no DM.

Also, The World of Warcraft boardgame is interesting. The rules are a little esoteric at first and i think they are based on the rules of the video game and oprate on the knowledge that you've played it (i haven't), but it's entertaining. Also, there is no DM.

Risk 2050 (right number?) is a game my friend owns that's pretty fun, you may want to look into that.

OR just take a break to read some books and re-gather your strength and replenish your idea-pool. :D

It's easy to get burnt out on RPG's, especially when you're a DM all the time. I'm caught in this same cycle myself, as i run an AD&D game for folks mostly into 3E.

Remove ads