Sigil NPC list, Venues list and Map downloads

Oryan77

Adventurer
Ambrus, I gotta say, that map is amazing. I'm an artist myself and it's rare that I see a D&D fan create something visual that I actually like & can use...especially for PS. This map has a great visual feel to it. It's also very easy to read.

I only have one suggestion :heh:

I would LOVE to print this sucker off at Kinkos in a poster size map (or close to poster size) and hang it on my gaming room wall. The only thing that would make it better is if there was a venue key on the side of the map so I could easily look up where a building is.

Would it be a problem to include that on this map? Maybe have the Lady's, Market, & Guild Hall wards listed on the left side and the Lower, Hive, & Clerk's wards listed on the right side?

I also really like how you showed the dimensions of everything. Having this on my wall would really give the player's an idea of what the city really is like. :)

Clueless

Webmonkey
There is a venue key here if you want to print it out and hang it with the map. I suspect the reason such a thing is not actually on the map is because Ambrus has identified over 200 venues, it might have been a bit difficult to fit.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Clueless said:
There is a venue key here if you want to print it out and hang it with the map. I suspect the reason such a thing is not actually on the map is because Ambrus has identified over 200 venues, it might have been a bit difficult to fit.
Oh no, I mean just a list of the buildings and the ID # of them so I can look at the name and cross reference the map with the ID # and easily find the building.

Ambrus

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
Ambrus, I gotta say, that map is amazing.
Thanks Oryan. I was hoping you'd stop by this thread. After talking about this map for months it'd seem like a shame if those who expressed an interest in it never got to see what it was that I'd been pimping.
Oryan77 said:
Would it be a problem to include that on this map? Maybe have the Lady's, Market, & Guild Hall wards listed on the left side and the Lower, Hive, & Clerk's wards listed on the right side?
Clueless pretty much got it right; with over 250 venues it'd be hard to list them all by name on the map. Looking at the map, there really isn't any room on the sides to add in twin columns of text. I could make the file wider but then I'd have to stretch the background and tweak the borders, along with its lines of poetry and map scale to accommodate the new size; all before dropping-in and formatting the new text. All in all, it'd be fairly time consuming modification; the map file is already nearly a gig-and-a-half as is and is pushing the processing limits of my poor Mac.

I also fear that adding in that much text (250 venue names, each of which can be two to five words in length) would clutter up the map and detract from its aesthetics without adding much functionality. As I discovered while compiling the venues list, names alone wouldn't be of much help without a qualifier noun (inn, tavern, library, etc) and book and page numbers to indicate where one could find pertinent information about the venues in question.

If it's really important to you then I'd suggest you download the Venues List, format the information you want into a small rectangle of the appropriate size and shape and glue it as a patch in the upper right corner of the map to cover up the Lady of Pain and Dabus images neatly.

Oryan77 said:
I also really like how you showed the dimensions of everything. Having this on my wall would really give the player's an idea of what the city really is like. :)
Just remember to tell them that it's a figurative depiction of the city and that the buildings on it are not drawn to scale or in sufficient numbers to fill a space comprising nearly fifty square miles. As is, most faction headquarters appear to be around a mile in width each; which is erroneous and misleading.
TarionzCousin said:
Yes, and it is truly stunning. Fantastic job. I salute you.
Thank you. But please keep in mind that much of the credit for the piece lies with the original cartographers and artists who's work I co-opted. The parts that I created myself count for only a fraction of the overall map. Hopefully my posting of the end result won't upset them.

Remove ads