• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Signature Spell

Damage scaling with tier - okay.
Attack bonus scaling with level - not okay.

I think one of the two bonuses might be enough. (Preferably the damage bonus, I think).

Khaalis

Adventurer
So... I'd do it like this:

Signature Spell [Wizard]
Prerequisites: Wizard
Benefit: Pick one of your at-will spells to gain a +1 feat bonus to hit and damage. At 11th level, this damage bonus increases to +2. At 21st level, the damage bonus increases to +3.
The only problem I have is that, after getting into the research in the last post I made (rather than the 1st off-the-cuff response), I think this feat is too strong as written.

The Tiefling Racial feat only grants a flat +1 bonus to Attack and Damage to Fire/Fear keyword powers. The feat is by definition rare (only tieflings can take it).

However, Signature Spell is open to any Wizard and usable on an At-Will of your choice (I'd say thats balanced with say all Fire/Fear keyword). I would say that a flat +1 bonus to Attack and Damage is balanced. Adding the Weapon Focus' scaling damage tips it over the balance edge.

The only other PC that can come close to this is a PC using a Light Blade with a DEX 15 and has to have combat advantage. It takes them 2 feats to get a +1 Attack Bonus and a scaling damage bonus (Nimble Blade and Weapon Focus).

Kzach

Banned
Banned
The bonus to hit is for one spell and one spell only.

The Tiefling racial feat is actually far more powerful considering it applies to every spell with a fire or fear keyword. That amounts to a lot of spells over the entire career of the wizard/warlock.

Action Surge is, again, to any power used with an action point. In comparison, again, it's far more powerful.

Restricting it to just one spell takes away a lot of the punch of the bonus to hit. All it really means is that with that one spell, the wizard has a really good chance of hitting with it. And that's kinda the point. It's a signature spell.

generalhenry

First Post
hmm I'd do it like this

Jim Darkmagic's
Signature Spell <Wizard>
Prerequisites: Must be one of the New Hampshire Darkmagics.
Benefit: Pick one of your at-will spells to gain a +1 feat bonus to hit and damage. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +2. At 21st level, it
increases to +3.

Khaalis

Adventurer
The bonus to hit is for one spell and one spell only.

The Tiefling racial feat is actually far more powerful considering it applies to every spell with a fire or fear keyword. That amounts to a lot of spells over the entire career of the wizard/warlock.

Action Surge is, again, to any power used with an action point. In comparison, again, it's far more powerful.

Restricting it to just one spell takes away a lot of the punch of the bonus to hit. All it really means is that with that one spell, the wizard has a really good chance of hitting with it. And that's kinda the point. It's a signature spell.
I don't think that restricting it to one spell is in-and-of-itself is enough to balance a +3 bonus to attack rolls. An at-will ability is that for a reason, its the bread and butter of the class and will be the attack that gets most often. Nothing else in the game gives that kind of advantage. Attack bonuses break the balance of the math. Every +1 is an automatic gain of +10% above any equal level creature's defenses. A +3 to attacks automatically places you at a 30% higher chance of hitting equal level creatures.

This is why Weapon Focus is no longer an Attack Bonus, but replaces Weapon Specialization's damage bonus.

The only argument I could see even coming close to offering this kind of attack bonus is that Weapon Proficiency grants an inherent attack bonus with the weapon in question. Then again, even Implement Mastery, a Class Feature for the wizard doesn't grant a flat attack bonus. it grants a +2 to attack 1/encounter only.

Add to this that Wizards already get all kings of bonuses that Warlocks don't and this brings them even another step more powerful than the warlock.

The closes thing I can I think of that is balanced to the existing system would be to grant some form of Proficiency bonus to Implements via feats. However, spells already do a lot more than most melee attacks can do (i.e. all their special abilities) which makes up for lagging behind in attack bonus by the weapon user's Proficiency bonus.

I'm not saying I don't like the idea. I just am saying that the scaling Attack bonus is too much, and I also think a scaling damage bonus combined with an attack bonus is too much.

I think there could be a Feat that allows you a flat one-time +1 bonus to attack rolls with your Specialized Spell. I also think its ok to have the equivalent of Weapon Focus as a separate feat (e.g. Spell Focus).

After seeing all the arguments and looking deeper at the existing power level of feats, I would do it as follows:

SIGNATURE SPELL
Prerequisite: Arcane power source
Benefit: Choose a specific At-Will Level 1 Attack spell. You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls with your chosen spell.

SPELL FOCUS
Prerequisite: Arcane power source
Benefit: Choose a specific At-Will Level 1 Attack spell. You gain a +1 feat bonus to damage rolls with your chosen spell. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +2. At 21st level, it increases to +3.

Note: I list Arcane as the prerequisite because the feats do say "spells" and all arcane power source classes use spells. This makes it more balanced for warlocks as well.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
This is why Weapon Focus is no longer an Attack Bonus, but replaces Weapon Specialization's damage bonus.
Again, you're comparing apples to oranges.

The only argument I could see even coming close to offering this kind of attack bonus is that Weapon Proficiency grants an inherent attack bonus with the weapon in question. Then again, even Implement Mastery, a Class Feature for the wizard doesn't grant a flat attack bonus. it grants a +2 to attack 1/encounter only.
Apple does not equal orange.

Also, it's not +2. Might want to actually read the Wand of Accuracy entry instead of quoting off the pregens.

Add to this that Wizards already get all kings of bonuses that Warlocks don't and this brings them even another step more powerful than the warlock.
Huh?

Getting a significant bonus to hit at 21st-level for one at-will spell from a feat you can only take at 1st-level (and therefore can't retrain for) just isn't a big deal.

You keep making the mistake of comparing it to everything that is totally unlike it. Not only that, but the comparisons are actually in FAVOUR of the feat as written, because on balance, all those options are far more powerful.

If anything, the feat as written is UNDER powered because it only applies to one at-will power. You have to also remember that at-will powers become less and less useful as you go up in levels because their damage is the bottom of the barrel compared to the multitude of other powers you gain access to.

Every player worth their salt will use every encounter power they have, every encounter. If it's an encounter that is difficult enough that it requires the use of daily powers, then they use them. In which instance, a measly +3 bonus to hit and damage on spells that will average far less damage than all the encounter and daily powers being used just doesn't have that big an impact.

The only time it really has a significant impact is on encounters that are weak for the party, in which case spamming their at-will and hitting far more often will actually influence the outcome in any significant manner. But then, it was an easy encounter anyway.

Cpt_Micha

First Post
I'd make Signature spell applicable to warlocks as well, other than that I think it's okay. Maybe a touch much on the + to hit part or the + to damage but it seems fine in concept.

redrover

First Post
The OP configuration is not what I’m looking for in a feat of this type.

First, I support the player’s ability to select a signature spell at any time during an adventuring career. {Players are not always ready to choose a signature effect at 1st level -- especially new players -- and I would be reluctant to take this option off the table for them by making signature spell a 1st-level-only feat.}

A signature spell might be theme-driven, but it might also be the result of character development; and such a signature spell would become an important developmental milestone for the character. IMO a signature spell feat should support either approach.

Second, a signature spell should be unique to the character. For me that means player-selected fluff text.

My approach would be to create a signature template the player could use to create a unique personal spell.

Signature Spell
Prerequisites: Arcane powers, Signature Spell ritual.
Benefit: Choose for your signature spell one bonus from the Signature Bonus list and one effect per tier from the Signature Effects list. If your signature spell deals damage, you may choose its damage keyword. You may take this feat only once.
Special: Once per tier, you may replace your signature spell with a new signature spell (see Rituals). If you choose to do this, you can no longer use the signature form of your old spell; you have outgrown it, and you default to the standard spell. You may replace your signature spell when you achieve your Epic Destiny (see Rituals).

Signature Bonus List

• *The signature spell has a +1 attack bonus.
  • *A single-target encounter spell has a damage bonus of +2/Heroic, +7/Paragon, +12/Epic.
  • *A single-target at-will spell has a damage bonus of +1/Heroic, +3/Paragon, +5/Epic.
  • *An area spell has a damage bonus of +1/Heroic, +2/Paragon, +3/Epic.
  • *Casting your signature spell triggers one of your personal healing surges if you choose.
  • *Choose a Defense other than AC. When you cast your signature spell, you gain a +1 power bonus to this Defense until the beginning of your next turn.
  • *Add the “Fear” keyword to your spell, giving a -1 fear penalty to target attacks and a -1 fear penalty to all target defenses (save ends) to all enemies hit by your spell.
  • *You may teleport up to 4 squares at the instant you cast the spell.
  • *Allies are excluded from your signature spell’s effect
  • *Your spell has a special secondary effect (choose one only; you may take an effect from a lower tier if you choose).
Heroic: Dazed or push 1, or
Paragon: Prone or immobilized, or
Epic: Stunned or blinded.
If your signature spell already has your signature effect, they combine (push 2 or save twice and take the worst result).
*(Paragon+ only) An area spell’s area is controllable at the instant of casting, up to +/-2 squares.

Signature Effect List (these create flavor and have no game effect)

• Your spell creates a distinctive visual effect (your choice).
  • Your spell creates a distinctive auditory effect (your choice).
  • Your spell creates a distinctive olfactory effect (your choice).
  • Your spell creates a special signature effect approved by your DM. This cannot damage or hinder another creature, nor duplicate the effect of any other power.

SUPPORTING RITUALS

Rituals, Signature Spell: These rituals enable you to empower a spell you know as signature spell (see the feat Signature Spell). Each ritual must be independently acquired if you want its benefit.

Code:
[B]Signature Spell[/B]
[I]
You unlock the secrets of your most prized magic, creating a unique manifestation.[/I]
[B]
Level: [/B]1                                    [B]Component Cost:[/B] 10 gp
[B] Category: [/B]Creation                         [B]Market Price: [/B]50 gp
[B]Time:  [/B]1 hour                               [B]Key Skill: [/B]Arcana (no check)
[B] Duration: [/B]Permanent         

You create a unique form of a spell you know, as detailed by the Signature Spell feat. You may have only one signature spell at a time. Other rituals exist to replace your signature spell at each tier and when you achieve your Epic Destiny. 

[B]Signature Spell, Heroic[/B]
[I]
As your understanding of magic grows, you replace your old signature magic.[/I]
[B]
Level: [/B]5                                    [B]Component Cost:[/B] 50 gp
[B]Category:[/B] Creation                        [B]  Market Price:[/B] 250 gp
[B] Time:  [/B]2 hours                             [B]Key Skill: [/B]Arcana (no check)
[B] Duration:[/B] Permanent         

You replace your signature spell with another that reflects your deepening understanding of magic, as detailed by the Signature Spell feat.You may have only one signature spell at a time. Other rituals exist to replace your signature spell at each tier and when you achieve your Epic Destiny.

[B]Signature Spell, Paragon[/B]
[I]
As your understanding of magic grows, you replace your old signature magic.[/I]

[B]Level:[/B] 10                                  [B]Component Cost:[/B] 400 gp
[B]Category:[/B] Creation                        [B] Market Price:[/B] 2,000 gp[B]
Time:[/B]  4 hours                             [B]Key Skill:[/B] Arcana (no check)
[B] Duration:[/B] Permanent         

You replace your signature spell with another that reflects your deepening understanding of magic, as detailed by the Signature Spell feat. You may have only one signature spell at a time. Other rituals exist to replace your signature spell at each tier and when you achieve your Epic Destiny.

[B]Signature Spell, Epic[/B]

[I]As your understanding of magic grows, you replace your old signature magic.[/I]

[B]Level:[/B] 20                                  [B]Component Cost:[/B] 5,000 gp
[B]Category:[/B] Creation                         [B]Market Price: [/B]25,000 gp
[B]Time:[/B]  8 hours                             [B]Key [/B][B]Skill:[/B] Arcana (no check)
[B]Duration:[/B] Permanent         

You replace your signature spell with another that reflects your deepening understanding of magic, as detailed by the Signature Spell feat. You may have only one signature spell at a time. A ritual exists to replace your signature spell when you achieve your Epic Destiny.

[B]Signature Spell, Legendary[/B]

[I]As your understanding of magic grows, you replace your old signature magic.[/I]

[B]Level:[/B] 30                                  [B]Component Cost:[/B] 60,000 gp
[B]Category:[/B] Creation                         [B]Market Price:[/B] 300,000 gp
[B]Time:[/B]  24 hours                            [B]Key Skill:[/B] Arcana (no check)
[B]Duration:[/B] Permanent         

You replace your signature spell with another that reflects your deepening understanding of magic, as detailed by the Signature Spell feat. You may have only one signature spell at a time.
<end>

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads