• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silencing Strike (RoS)

foxwick

First Post
"... The effect of this field of silence is identical to that of the spell [silence] of the same name, except that there is no saving throw to resist this effect. ..."

This feat came under scrutiny this weekend at a session. Because the above wording excerpt does not also explicitly say that the feat also ignores the spell's normal SR, we granted the enemy SR. It does seem strange however that the effect would grant SR when a Whisper Gnome's spell-like abilities have a caster level of 1st level. Obviously this feat is best used against a spell-caster, yet if it grants SR, such use would mostly be unsuccessful.

Do you think the feat author intended for SR to be ignored as well?
Do you think granting SR balances the feat? (i.e. Making it only for non-SR foes)

hong

WotC's bitch
Feats are usually extraordinary abilities, although IIRC there are a rare few that are supernatural. I don't know of any feat that grants spell-like abilities. Thus no SR.

fafhrd

First Post
hong said:
Feats are usually extraordinary abilities, although IIRC there are a rare few that are supernatural. I don't know of any feat that grants spell-like abilities. Thus no SR.

Complete Arcane and Complete Mage both contain feats that grant SLAs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It says a field of supernatural silence, though it is using a spell-like ability to do it.

Last edited:

foxwick

First Post
javcs said:
Then no SR if it's (Su).

Thanks!

hong said:

It's a racial feat, transferring the racial spell-like ability of a Whisper Gnome into an attack.

Remove ads