• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silly druids

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Druids are proficient with the
following weapons: club, dagger, dart, halfspear, longspear,
quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, and sling. Their
spiritual oaths prohibit them from using weapons other than
these. They are proficient with light and medium armors but are
prohibited from wearing metal armor (thus, they may wear only
padded, leather, or hide armor). They are skilled with shields
but must use only wooden ones.
A druid can hurl stones from a sling without penalty. But if he throws one using his hand, he loses all his druidic abilities for a day?

He can swing a club just fine, and can swing it in two hands just fine; but he can't use a great club without breaking his vows (profficiency penalties aside). He is profficient with a shield, but can he swing bash someone with one without getting in trouble?

What if he throws a tankard of ale across a tavern room? Or even a dart at a dart board? Are the Druid Nazi's going to report him?

Does it even say somewhere that a druid is allowed to attack unarmed?!

Morose

First Post
The designers have said that the restrictions on a Druid aren't there for balance... they are there for flavor. As such, you could rule 0 the lot and give them the same proficiencies as Clerics if you wanted. Wouldn't make much difference overall. If I Druid with a Greatclub makes sense to you, ask your DM and go for it. *shrug*

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Nobody said being a druid was easy. Although, I'd bet you can still play darts--you're not really using them as weapons.

Sorry, no throwing rocks or swinging greatclubs. You'll just have to make do with throwing balls of fire with Produce Flame or Wild Shaping into a hooded cobra or black bear or dire wolf.

Also, the PHB only says what weapons the druid may use, not that they must use weapons. An unarmed attack would be allowed.

Crothian

First Post
WEll, rocks and Ale Mugs aren't listed as weapons in the PHB and that is the only list the Druids weapons are selceted from. Pretty much, Druids can use anything without metal. Greatclubs have metal, that is why they can't be used.

maddman75

First Post
I've Rule0'ed druids as the following

- Start proficient in the listed druid weapons. They are as free as any other character to get proficiny in other weapons by multiclassing or spending feats.

- Metal armor inturrepts their natural rythyms, so no druid spells or abilities will function in metal armor.

Our group has a ranger/druid who regularly uses longsword and shortsword. It doesn't stop him from feeling druidic, what with his nature spells, animal companions, wild shape, etc.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well in my opinion if you are still using weapons as a druid after 5th lvl your not very well mentally... Druids are good spellcasters not fighters.

I do agree the weapons restriction is kind of silly.... give them local weapons as well as maybe simple weapons.

twjensen

First Post
Elven Druids

To add to all that, I think elven druids should be able to use longbows. To deny a druid character a racial feature just to be more friendly with the flowers seems a bit harsh. Although the Druid Nazi's may take exception. :D

Rixshaw

First Post
this is a bit off subject but not by much. Looking at the weapons that druids are allowed to use, would most dm allow the use of a scythe it is a larger version of a sickle used mainly as a farm emplement. which I think would still fit the flavor of the class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads