• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Silly question regarding Opportunity Attacks and Movement

Wolfskin

Explorer
I'm getting ready to run LMoP this Sunday and I have this doubt regarding how these two rules interact with one another:
If the reaction interrupts another creature’s turn, that creature can continue its turn right after the reaction.
The attack interrupts the provoking creature’s movement, occurring right before the creature leaves your reach.

If a creature takes a move action to leave a PC's reach and the OA hits, does this mean it cannot continue its movement? I'm not sure about the intent of "interrupts"- it could mean either "it happens between the move action" or "it stops the move action".

Can anybody help? :confused:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
It goes like this.

• Enough movement happens to provoke an attack.
  • The attack happens.
  • The character whose turn it is now continues movement.

Thaumaturge.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm not sure about the intent of "interrupts"- it could mean either "it happens between the move action" or "it stops the move action".

The second one. You begin your move, the interrupting attack is resolved, you continue your move. In 5e, you can do other actions in the midst of your move action, anyway, so it's consistent.

(Aside: In 4e the Fighter had a class feature called Combat Superiority that allowed it to stop an enemy's move action if it's OA hit. Something like that - a combat style or feat, perhaps - might be in 5e, eventually.)

jadrax

Adventurer
I'm getting ready to run LMoP this Sunday and I have this doubt regarding how these two rules interact with one another:

If a creature takes a move action to leave a PC's reach and the OA hits, does this mean it cannot continue its movement? I'm not sure about the intent of "interrupts"- it could mean either "it happens between the move action" or "it stops the move action".

I believe it just means it happens before the target finishes moving away.

However, I also believe you can use Grapple and Shove as an Opportunity Attack as they are both described as a 'special melee attack'. These would alter the way the creature could move after the attack had hit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads