• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silly rules thoughts

Greenfield

Adventurer
I was thinking about Energy Resistances and what they mean.

There are several powers/spells/attacks/items that can set someone and/or their clothes on fire. Alchemical Fire comes to mind, as does the attack of a Fire Elemental.

Presume a ring of Fire Resistance, 20 points or higher. You won't take any damage from that Alchemist's Fire. Will you or your clothing catch fire anyway?

If so, what happens? The Ring protects you and your attended gear from the fire damage, but doesn't exempt you from catching fire as far as I can see. So if you catch fire, can you just let it burn forever?

Does that mean that torch or lantern you light up will never burn out, since it can't actually be damaged by the flames?

Or does it mean that you can't catch fire? In which case no item you attend can catch fire. In which case you can't light a torch or lantern? Do lit ones go out as soon as you pick them up?

Yeah, I know, it's silly. The real power of Magic is that it works they way it's "supposed to", and isn't bound by the laws of physics, nor the rules of hard logic.

Gantros

Explorer
I don't think this is silly at all. Dealing with magic in a game like D&D can get pretty messy if you don't attempt to apply some logic and internal consistency to it.

The rules for catching on fire state that once a character fails their Reflex Save, not only do they start taking fire damage each round, but their clothes and equipment may take damage as well (in fact a Reflex Save must be made for each item to avoid this). The rules for Fire Resistance don't say anything about the effect applying to worn or carried items, so the implication is that they can still burn and take damage even if the character does not.

Thrandir

Old style gamer
Good answer, this how my group play fire resistance and items catching alight. Admittedly there are a number of additional saves to make for carried items when the character fails their save, but it is logical. We also look at if the items are inside a leather pouch etc.. and it makes it's save then all items carried inside are protected. One of the reason we as group are pretty strict with equipment lists and how/where items are carried. Over the years we have not met too many problems with this style of ruling.

I don't think this is silly at all. Dealing with magic in a game like D&D can get pretty messy if you don't attempt to apply some logic and internal consistency to it.

The rules for catching on fire state that once a character fails their Reflex Save, not only do they start taking fire damage each round, but their clothes and equipment may take damage as well (in fact a Reflex Save must be made for each item to avoid this). The rules for Fire Resistance don't say anything about the effect applying to worn or carried items, so the implication is that they can still burn and take damage even if the character does not.

delericho

Legend
In general, if Damage Reduction or Energy Resistance reduces the damage from an attack to 0 points or lower, it also negates any secondary effect of the attack. So I'd rule that in this case the character (and his equipment) can't catch fire unless at least 1 point of damage gets through the ER.

In general, if Damage Reduction or Energy Resistance reduces the damage from an attack to 0 points or lower, it also negates any secondary effect of the attack. So I'd rule that in this case the character (and his equipment) can't catch fire unless at least 1 point of damage gets through the ER.

That's how I see it, also. Even if the initial attack lit stuff on fire I would look at the damage from the fire, if it's fully suppressed then so is the fire.

Celebrim

Legend

Agree. To assume otherwise gets really messy and creates unintended consequences. For example, does the ring of fire resistance melt when exposed to heat?

As a metarule, this is a 'superman's cape' rule. Anything the hero wears is roughly as durable as the hero. This protection generally doesn't extend to merely held objects of a mundane nature.

As far as how the ring works, I am a big fan of giving every major magic item I give out some minor quirk. For a Ring of Fire Resistance, "Lit mundane torches you pick up, go out." or "You can't start a fire on anything you are touching." might be a great quirk.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Yeah, I know, it's silly. The real power of Magic is that it works they way it's "supposed to", and isn't bound by the laws of physics, nor the rules of hard logic.
I don't have anything to add, but this reminds me of a show I watched as a kid called Lois & Clark: the New Adventures of Superman. One of the few things I remember about it was someone asking Superman why his costume never got damaged, to which he replied something like "My aura protects everything within a millimeter of my skin." This seemed reasonable at the moment, but then later I thought "Wait, there's quite a bit of cape and...let's say 'whitey-tighty' material out of contact with his skin."

So, at the very least, a few fire survivors who Superman saved should know his religion. ;)

Celebrim

Legend
I don't have anything to add, but this reminds me of a show I watched as a kid called Lois & Clark: the New Adventures of Superman.

I think the official answer on the cape is in two parts:

a) Superman's costume was sewn from his baby blankets using his diaper pin. Since they are all from Kryton, they are all as durable as Superman.
c) Don't ask too many questions, kid. It's just a story. :)

Remove ads