• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Silly/Senseless Rules You Have Found

Spookykid

First Post
A single proficiency bonus is used for every freekin thing in the game. Really couldnt have broken it up a bit? So a fighter has the same chance to hit as a wizard at 20th level?

The attribute cap of 20 doesnt take into account racial bonus. Yea yea bounded accuracy and all but that brings me to my 3rd rule issue.

Why that bounded? Couldnt have expanded it a little more to make the game a bit more interesting?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
A single proficiency bonus is used for every freekin thing in the game. Really couldnt have broken it up a bit? So a fighter has the same chance to hit as a wizard at 20th level?
I think you are being a little short-sighted on that one.

Two characters of the same level, with the same ability score rating, are equally good at whatever it is they are good at - the fighter is as good at attacking with a weapon as the wizard is at attacking with a spell. For example, a fighter might have +11 to attack with a longsword, and a wizard +11 to attack with spells.

But a 20th level fighter and a 20th level wizard will have different skill levels at doing the same thing - whether it is because the fighter has higher strength, proficiency with that particular weapon, and makes 4 attacks per attack action while the wizard has lower strength, a less effective weapon or lack of proficiency, and a single attack per attack action, or it is because the wizard has higher intelligence, a wider array of spells, more potent spell levels, and more class features that directly influence spellcasting prowess when compared to an eldritch knight. So a fighter attacks four times at +11 with a greatsword for 2d6+5 damage each, and a wizard attacks once at +6 with a quarterstaff for 1d8 damage, or a wizard casts a 9th level spell and an eldritch knight casts a 4th level spell.

As to the complaints you have about where the bounds are set, that's entirely a preference issue. A bounded game has to be bounded somewhere, and no matter where that bound is set someone is going to wonder why it wasn't set somewhere else (like how I wonder why the ability score boundary was set at 20, rather than 18 to match BECM or 25 to match AD&D).

designbot

Explorer
5E's Impenetrable Darkness syndrome all over again! This happened during 4E early days during first PHB release for those who remember and still happen here. As written, when you are in darkness, you are blinded and cannot see any remote lit area and people within, which is a problem RAW. Also any obscured area by darkness block vision which makes you not see through them. That is okay for magical darkness, but natural darkness should not act that way.

Not many will surly run it that way, but it should probably be updated at some point like 4E did, for consistency reasons.

BR65 Heavily Obscured: A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see the appendix).

This has already been addressed in the latest printings, errata, and basic rules.

The new text reads:

BR65 Heavily Obscured: A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A) when trying to see something in that area.

Spookykid

First Post
[MENTION=6701872]AaronOfBarbaria[/MENTION]
no reason to go into a long rant about who does more damage with weapons and all, pretty sure we all understand that. Chance to hit is the same, the 17th level 18 dex wizard has the same chance to hit with a rapier as a 20th level str 18 fighter with the same weapon. Just seemed very silly. and barbarians only get 2 attacks so it looks even worse for them.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
[MENTION=6800861]SPOOKYKID[/MENTION]
I didn't "rant", I just "spoke."

And if we all understand "who does more damage with weapons and all", we wouldn't think same dex + same level + same proficiency = same bonus to the d20 roll seems silly.

I feel, however, that I should point out that you've left out a detail in your specific example about this 17th level 18 dex wizard that is pretty important: wizards aren't normally proficient with rapiers, so the wizard's bonus with the rapier actually would be lower than the fighter's - and once you add in taking a special option (i.e. a feat) you are paying limited resources to get a benefit and getting a benefit for doing so, which I doubt anyone would find to be silly.

Remove ads