• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simon Logan's "Industrial" Horror Fiction

Merlion

First Post
I generally tend to read your usual fantasy/science fiction/horror stuff, Tolkien, Stephen King, Ray Bradbury etc. Medieveal Fantasy, contempory supernatural horror, futuristic science fiction.

But I have also become increasingly interested in the "cyberpunk" style, mainly via movies like Blade Runner, the Matrix series, Johnny Mnemonic etc.

I've also become fond of an artist named Ursula Vernon, especially her "Gearworld" paintings like this http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/u/r/ursula/orgconcrane.jpg.html

I ended up writting a story loosely inspired by the artwork, among other things.

This led me to do a web search for "industrial decay", and through that I stumbled upon the website of a Brittish author named Simon Logan. He said he started off writting mainstream horror, but felt limited by it, and inspired by several things including Clive Barker, started writting what he dubbed "Industrial" and "fetishcore" stories. I'm not linking the website because some of it might not be deemed fitting for here, but a Google search on Simon Logan will get you there.

Anyway I read the excerpts on the website, and recently bought and read his first collection, I-O.

The stuff is interesting, mostly pretty dark. Usualy set in either the future, or other worlds, some times with hints of the supernatural and more often a feel of science and technology gone wrong. Very descriptive style, similiar to how I write. It seems to be sort of like a more extreme, almost apocaplyptic take on the ideas of Cyberpunk and SteamPunk.

Anyway I recomend checking it out to anyone who is looking for something different, dark and strange, although I will warn you his stuff is pretty graphic and very frank in dealing with grotesque and what some might consider perverse things.
Also, if anyone has read some of his stuff I'd like to discuss it, or if anyone has recomendations for similiar "Bizzario" or "Industrial" genre horror/fantasy/sci fi.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads