Simple Game Systems

rounser

First Post
If only Dungeon Squad! had character levels...although adding them would probably kill the elegance of simplicity thing it has going on.

Risus and Fudge struck me as too open-ended, as if "nailing whispers to the wall", as someone put it. They seem less actual games than game design kits for tinkerers.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I love, love LUV Savage Worlds. But it is not in the same ballpark of simplicity as some of these other systems are.

Korgoth

First Post
Well, OD&D is pretty simple. Since you can't get the PDF any more, Swords & Wizardry: White Box, while a lot more verbose, is close to it.

1st edition Gamma World is quite simple, and succinct. Each later edition moved it away from its initial simplicity, though.

Classic Traveller (still in print!) is also quite simple, and excellent, but I admit that I've never figured out how to prep it easily. For me, a civilized high tech settings just have a lot of contingencies that I feel the need to plan for. I've played it less than other games, though, so maybe I just haven't hit upon the golden mean.

Having played Savage Worlds, I do not find it to be simple. It has some fun elements, but simple it ain't. "Simplicity" does have a relative component, though... MERP will seem simple after RoleMaster and Savage Worlds will seem simple after GURPS. Neither will be that simple to a non-gamer, I think.

Ariosto

First Post
I'm not keen on the probability spreads in Risus, but apparently a lot of folks make 'em work. Maybe there's more complexity in actual play than in the "rules as written" -- something that could be said of OD&D as well. Preference might depend on which kind of complexity and set of rules (for text is never the sum of rules in an RPG) one finds easier to employ.

Remove ads