• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple Mass Combat System

Saagael

First Post
Warning: Lots of text incoming.

So my players have a chance to train and lead a small group of troops to defend some ruins against a massive army of undead. For this scenario, I'm trying to create a mass combat system that feels more like a tabletop wargame (Like Warhammer and the like) than tactical 4e combat, and will capture the epic feel (they're level 22, so being epic is a must) of mass combat while still being relatively easy to learn and play. I'm requesting some input from the lovely enWorld community.

So the players have 10 squads of 15 units, with the option of recruiting 2 more squads from the surrounding area with skill checks. The enemy has 100 squads of 50 units. That's 180 vs 5000 (remember what I said about epic?). For this system, each squad is assigned a level ranging from 1 to 7, which is set based on how well the players do when training the troops, foraging for food, and crafting/repairing/enchanting weapons and armor. The same goes for the enemy squads, though 90% of enemy squads are level 3 or lower.

Defense structures (barricades, pit traps, magical defenses) can be built, and have a level ranging from 1 - 3. Same goes for siege engines.

During the battle, there will be several goals that can really help the players. Destroying enemy siege weapons, identifying the enemy spy and killing/capturing them, and defeating enemy commanders (I'm open for more of these). These goals would culminate in a normal battle of players vs monsters.

However, the mechanics of combat resolution on a mass scale are what's eluding me. What happens when an enemy troop and allied troop go toe to toe? With only a "level" stat to differentiate skill, it has to be simple. So far my best idea is that each sides rolls Xd12, where X is the squad level. Whoever rolls highest out of all their rolls wins and kills the enemy. If the player is fighting behind a defensive structure and loses the combat, they roll a d6, on a 5 or 6 the troop survives.

Then there's the defenses and siege engines. I'm thinking that enemy siege engines can attack a defense per turn. They roll a d6, and if they roll 5 or 6, they score a hit. The players then roll a d6 for each level of the defense. On a 5 or 6, the defense remains, but loses a level (level 0 defenses are destroyed on a hit no matter what). Any other result and the defense is destroyed. Siege engines are automatically destroyed on hit by other siege engines.

Player siege engines (which have levels 1-3) can attack enemy siege engines, and large enemies. Rolling is the same for players as enemies: 1d6/level, and a roll of 5 or 6 is a hit and destroys the siege engine or large enemy.

That's about all I've got right now. I have yet to crunch numbers to see what the percentages for this system are, but will get around to it. Does this sound like a decent system to use? Is it overly complicated or redundant? Would you change anything? And thanks for reading if you got this far, I know it was a mighty wall of text.

superpriest

First Post
I used the rules from Conquest of Nerath, which has a system kind of like what you describe. I ran one multi-round battle between each extended rest, and I let the PCs roll 1d12, or if they spend 2 daily attack powers and 4 surges, 1d20.

Saagael

First Post
I used the rules from Conquest of Nerath, which has a system kind of like what you describe. I ran one multi-round battle between each extended rest, and I let the PCs roll 1d12, or if they spend 2 daily attack powers and 4 surges, 1d20.

I was actually taking inspiration from that game when trying to come up with this setup. Though the time-frame is different with my situation: players are going into this with dimished resources, and will more directly participate in set-piece battles during the overall fight. That, and this is one localized fight, rather than an extended war. Though if it worked for you, I might try using Conquest of Nerath for large-scale wars.

Do your players want a warhammeresque battle, or do they want to be in the fight?

I would recommend using skill challenges all around, with the training and prepare defenses counting towards the 'beat the enemy' skill challenge.

Then, as part of the final skill challenge have set piece skirmishes the pcs can take on themselves. Maybe a 'destroy enemy siege engines' or 'take out enemy cave troll'.
This way they get the strategic piece of commanding the army while still getting their hands bloody. Use lots of minions and the battle can be both epic and fast paced.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Saagael

First Post
Do your players want a warhammeresque battle, or do they want to be in the fight?

I would recommend using skill challenges all around, with the training and prepare defenses counting towards the 'beat the enemy' skill challenge.

Then, as part of the final skill challenge have set piece skirmishes the pcs can take on themselves. Maybe a 'destroy enemy siege engines' or 'take out enemy cave troll'.
This way they get the strategic piece of commanding the army while still getting their hands bloody. Use lots of minions and the battle can be both epic and fast paced.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Well, I've run other mass combats using different styles, including both a meta skill challenge with smaller skill challenges in there, and one using lots of minions and swarms. Neither of them seemed to do it for the group, so I'm trying this to see if it'll be received better. I know that several of the players are familiar with wargames like Warhammer, and after 22 levels of play the monotony of combat has begun to grate on me, and no doubt the players.

Your comment about set piece battles though is spot-on. I do plan on adding skill checks during the actual battle (that's why this is a first pass at rules), and depending on how well that works for the players, they'll have several normal battles to fight.

i.e. If they fail to "defend the wall" with both skill checks and the "wargame", then there'll have to be a set-piece fight with the players fending off swarms, minions, and maybe a commander.

These individual fights are meant to wear down the players if they don't play smart, so that when they fight the leader of this army, he'll be that much tougher. If they're smart, and a little lucky, they can get to the final fight relatively fresh.

Unwise

Adventurer
Personally I use units as swarms. If you are looking at epic level characters, then entire towns worth of guardsman are easily just represented as one swarm. NPCs and enemies both just form into swarms and you play the combat as per normal.

A PC could single handedly hold of the 9th Royal Infantry unit, while the warlord inspires two entire units to get a free surprise charge. Meanwhile the magician is summons storms and illusions to move entire units out of position to be more easily dealt with. Clerics are getting 20 guys back into the fight with a single prayer.

This is where epic play really comes into its own. Just makes sure to describe the horrors happening on both sides. The PCs should never view their friendly swarms as expendable or replenish-able. Remember, if the enemy does 30 damage to them, it is a wound. If the enemy does 30 damage to a militia swarm, an entire family just got wiped out. By the same token, the PC warrior is carving a swath of bodies through the enemy unit, the archer is wiping out enemy leaders the second they show their heads.

Maybe this is a sidetrek from your main point, but what makes the combat monotonous?

I am asking because my current game is at 25th level and is war-focused, WoBS, and I have been altering my expectations to better handle the epic level combat in a way that isn't long and drawn out, and has the opportunity to be 'EPIC' in feel and play. I have been using 'Lethal Obsidian' skill challenge to replace minor skirmishes that are really only there for attrition and still have to push very hard to endanger the PCs.
I have uses squads and platoons to pretty good effect, basically up-leveling Soldiers to be a creditable threat at 25th level. I have also put in some nasty terrain features and intelligent bad guys.

But I know I still need to change things up. This Friday I have a session where I am trying a new approach.. well, sort-of new. So if you have some ideas on how to make my epic game better, I am all ears!

On topic: If your players really like Warhammer, perhaps you could translate your 'levels' to a point-buy for Warhammer armies and use those rules, interspersed with the set peice DnD battles.
{Note: I have not played Warhammer, so I don't know how well that works out}

Rhenny

Adventurer
I run mass battle as skill challenges. Check out my last Sand's End Campaign session in story hour to see the narrative of one we ran. It was awesome. Players really enjoyed it and it moved fast...fast...fast.

I've attached the rules I made to give me guidelines.

Attachments

• Mass Combat in 4e.doc
    77 KB · Views: 150

Silly me.. I just remembered that the subscriber content includes a 'Warfare for Beginners' by [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] that talks about using victory points and other aspects. He stated that he has an advanced version coming out soon, but I haven't seen mention of it yet.

Remove ads