• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple Question: Can I Display 4e-like Material on my Personal Website?

Deltran

First Post
After seeing the GSL, I feel inclined to have clarification on something.

If i where to create a 4e magic item, class, monster, add-on or whatever and put the items on my personal website, am I doing anything legally wrong? I am not selling access to my website or access to see this material.

In the same ballpark, is ENWorld doing anything wrong by displaying stats for a homebrew Druid class on their site?

catsclaw

First Post
Deltran said:
If i where to create a 4e magic item, class, monster, add-on or whatever and put the items on my personal website, am I doing anything legally wrong? I am not selling access to my website or access to see this material.
Whether you are doing anything legally wrong depends on copyright law and, in the US at least, the interpretation of the "fair use" doctrine.

What it does not depend on is the GSL. Websites are explicitly excluded from the GSL. Wizards mentioned a "fan site" license to be released, but there's no telling what that will actually look like.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads