• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simplified NPC Class Features

Paul Strack

First Post
Now that I've been playing around with NPCs for a while, I've noticed that several class features are tedious to keep track of for NPCs, especially for strikers. I am toying with the idea of simplifying certain class features to reduce in-combat bookkeeping while retaining the flavor of the original feature.

NPC Hunter’s Quarry: If the NPC attacks an enemy that is closer to the NPC than any other enemy, the NPC can inflict extra damage on that enemy: +1d6 for levels 1-10, +2d6 at levels 11-20 and +3d6 at levels 21-30. If the attack hits several equally close enemies, the NPC may only add the extra damage against one of these enemies.

Notes: Trades off the ability to track a more distant quarry for the ability to decide the quarry after seeing who is hit.

NPC Sneak Attack: If the NPC has combat advantage against an enemy, the NPC can inflict extra damage on that enemy: +1d6 for levels 1-10, +2d6 at levels 11-20 and +3d6 at levels 21-30.

Notes: Reduces the damage in exchange for being able to Sneak Attack multiple times in a round.

NPC Warlock’s Curse: If the NPC attacks an enemy that is closer to the NPC than any other enemy, the NPC can inflict extra damage on that enemy: +1d6 for levels 1-10, +2d6 at levels 11-20 and +3d6 at levels 21-30. If the attack hits several equally close enemies, the NPC may one add the extra damage against one of these enemies. If any of the warlock's attack (regardless of distance) reduces an enemy to 0 hit points or less, it activates the NPC's pact boon.

Notes: This combines the same restrictions as the rangers quarry with the fact that the Warlock can curse multiple targets.

NPC Wizard’s Spellbook: The NPC has 2 daily attack spells of the NPC's level or less. The NPC can only use one of these spells in a given day.

Notes: This gives the flavor of Wizard flexibility without the bookkeeping of tracking which spells are prepared.

Do these seem reasonable?

[Edit] Updates to the Warlock's Curse based on CapnZapp's suggestion.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I think you're on the right track.

As this is a NPC, why not simplify even more:

NPC Quarry: Ranger does extra damage to the first enemy hit by his or her first attack each round. Ranger can only deal this extra damage to a single enemy each turn.

...and not worry about the fiddly bits at all (the workings of the PC Quarry ability, how close the enemy is, how you can select to give the second enemy the extra damage instead of the first when making each strike out of a Twin Strike to different enemies etc)... the main result would be the same - NPC Rangers deal extra damage :)

As for NPC Warlocks, perhaps the easiest approximation is 1) he deals damage the same as the ranger 2) his pact boon triggers whenever he himself drops an enemy. The crucial piece of fiddliness you'd want to get rid of, is who's cursed and who's not.

And btw, if 2) feels too weak, why not simply 2b) his pact boon triggers whenever an enemy falls. How about it? In the case of the NPC being an enemy, chances are, this feature will not be triggered at all, or just once, at best. If the NPC is an ally to the player's, chances are you'd need to tweak the NPC stats anyway as the DM.

As for the NPC Rogue, just let him deal normal sneak attack damage whenever he has combat advantage. Lots of "roguish" monsters do this already.

NPC Wizards: I guess I need to go brush up on how PC Wizard spellbooks work... if you defeat this NPC Wizard, are you supposed to gain his spellbook as loot...?

I would think not, just as you don't (normally) gain any loot just because a monster's being described as having a sword. That is, just as the party Fighter can't expect to find lots of interesting Longswords among his human fallen enemies, the party Wizard shouldn't expect anything interesting from a fallen Wizard's spellbook.

Thus:
NPC Wizard's Spellbook (alt 1): The NPC did not bring his spellbook.
NPC Wizard's Spellbook (alt 2): The spellbook only contains spells you already know.
NPC Wizard's Spellbook (alt 3): You can't read his spellbook, just as you can't sell his fighter buddy's platemail.

Thanks for thinking about these things! Could we even hope for a "Book of Simplified NPCs"...? :)

Paul Strack

First Post
NPC Quarry: Ranger does extra damage to the first enemy hit by his or her first attack each round. Ranger can only deal this extra damage to a single enemy each turn.

...and not worry about the fiddly bits at all (the workings of the PC Quarry ability, how close the enemy is, how you can select to give the second enemy the extra damage instead of the first when making each strike out of a Twin Strike to different enemies etc)... the main result would be the same - NPC Rangers deal extra damage.

PC rangers can't easily do extra damage to enemies in the backfield because they can only make the closest enemy their quarry. I want to retain the flavor of that. That's the reason for the "extra damage against enemies who are closer than any other" qualifier.

As for NPC Warlocks, perhaps the easiest approximation is 1) he deals damage the same as the ranger 2) his pact boon triggers whenever he himself drops an enemy. The crucial piece of fiddliness you'd want to get rid of, is who's cursed and who's not.

I prefer to keep the "closer enemies" rule for warlocks as well, for reasons similar to the rangers. I like #2, though and will adopt it. It's a lot easier to keep track of. The RAW rules for Warlock Curse encourage some nice teamwork, but that shouldn't be a factor for NPCs.

As for the NPC Rogue, just let him deal normal sneak attack damage whenever he has combat advantage. Lots of "roguish" monsters do this already.

Lot's of roguish monsters do extra damage with a CA, but it is less than what full PC rogues do. For example, the Human Bandit does an extra 1d6 with a CA instead of 2d6. That was what I was trying to model.

NPC Wizards: I guess I need to go brush up on how PC Wizard spellbooks work... if you defeat this NPC Wizard, are you supposed to gain his spellbook as loot...?

No, you can't take spells from an NPC spellbook. You only get new spells when you advance a level or take a new feat like Extended Spellbook.

Thanks for thinking about these things! Could we even hope for a "Book of Simplified NPCs"...? :)

I am thinking about it. More than likely I will put the house-ruled NPC Class Features into the existing Book of NPCs, since it is easy enough to switch back to the RAW rules for anyone who doesn't like the house rules. I want to put the house rules through some play-testing first, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads