• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simultaneous actions?

Hey eveyone.

I was thinking a bit about actions in 3.5 and Pathfinder. Normal combat is seperated by initative scores. A does his actions, then B, then C etc. The only exception is Ready actions, interrupts, and AoOs. And the occasional DM that likes to have his minions act at the same time to speed up combat (and even then it is assumed they act one at a time on individual initative counts (10.1, 10.2, 10.3 etc.).

But sometimes this abstraction just doesn't make sense. For example, if a group of people are running down a dungeon corridor, at the end of which is a huge pit trap, a layer of grease, or maybe a tripwire.

Now in "narrative time" the DM could simply describe them running into it, and give appropriate saves or balance checks etc. to stop from running into it, maybe giving the ones further back an easier check.

But in combat they move one at a time and the first one only will trigger it, the rest will know about it and avoid it automatically preventing any chain collision.

So how about a general change that can prevent this? Well here is finally my suggestion that may help:

Acts declared before actions:

Initative is rolled as normal. The first player states his action, but instead of having it completely resolved the rest of the players (and possible the DM) states actions after initative.

Now given the teamwork of an adventurer party the other players will generally know and understand what their teammates are up to, and thus can adjust their actions somewhat, but they cannot know beforehand the result of such actions, meaning they could risk focusing attacks too much on single targets.

As for NPCs the PCs will get a general idea of what they are up to (running a certain direction with weapon ready, hoisting a greatsword, get ready to cast spells), but will of course not know the exact action.

Example:

4 PCs (A, B, C, D) runs into a room after kicking down a door. Inside is 4 goblins (1, 2, 3, 4) and neither side is suprised. Initiative is rolled and A, B acts first, follow by 1, then C, 2, 3, D and 4 at the last.

A says he will charge goblin 1. B says he will charge goblin 2. They don't know what 1 will do but the DM says it hefts his spear and looks scared at A who seems to be charging towards it.

C says he will cast a spell at Goblins 3 and 4. Goblins 2 and 3 fears the magic user and wants to throw javelins him, hoping they survive whatever spell comes up.

D wants to charge Goblin 3, and Goblin 4 wants to attack D in melee.

Resolve actions: A and B charges, Goblin 2 is down. Goblin 1 attacks and misses. C cast his spell (Color Spray) and Goblin 3 falls unconscious. Goblin 2 is bleeding on the floor, Goblin 3 is in dreamland. D is was gonna charge but as he sees G3 on the floor he has a change of heart, so he stops by the uncscious goblin and uses his remaining Standard action to attack goblin 3.

To be continued!

Continued: Goblin 4 then attack D in melee. Round over and actions are declared again.

So what do you think? Too complicated? The general idea is that combat is uncertain, and 2 PCs might both try to attack the same individual and found out it's overkill. Only the first action is spent though, leaving a standard action that can be assigned to something not originally intended.

Last edited:

Kuritaki

First Post
Wasn't the combat in 1st or 2nd edition played like that? I've played D&D some 20 years ago and recently I have taken up playing a Pathfinder home brew with my children. I seem to remember something like that. It sure is the way I'm going to play it from now on! :)

Wasn't the combat in 1st or 2nd edition played like that? I've played D&D some 20 years ago and recently I have taken up playing a Pathfinder home brew with my children. I seem to remember something like that. It sure is the way I'm going to play it from now on! :)

Hey ty I didn't expect such a positive reaction but thank you anyway.

That said I'm still a bit worried about pitfalls, possibility for abuse (but not more than already exists with the ready action), and that it may or may not slow down combat.

So I'd like some more responses before even attempting this in my own game, my players are used to the normal D&D initative order.

Kuritaki

First Post
So I'd like some more responses before even attempting this in my own game, my players are used to the normal D&D initative order.

We are still mostly picking it up as we go along so that's not going to be a problem. My children find it hard to have to wait so long before it is their turn again. This will solve that problem nicely (I hope...;)). (B.t.w. they are 9 year old twins, a boy and a girl, and they LOVE playing their characters.)

We are still mostly picking it up as we go along so that's not going to be a problem. My children find it hard to have to wait so long before it is their turn again. This will solve that problem nicely (I hope...;)). (B.t.w. they are 9 year old twins, a boy and a girl, and they LOVE playing their characters.)

That sounds awesome. While I've wanted to play with children before (wait that came out wrong!) I've yet to try it with my nephews and niece. I'm used to playing with adults and use graphic descriptions and adult themes (again, not what you think!).

It must be challenging to play such a game with so much detail with children, do they have enough attention span to get through it all? Also in my case the children are not that old yet and don't speak English so that adds to the difficulty... And I'm guessing you'd want to avoid too graphic descriptions in combat anyway. However I know from my experience that fairy tales such as H.C. Andersen's The Tinderbox are well received by small children, and after asking almost 5 year old girl what her favorite part was she replied "when the soldier chops off the witch's head."

What kind of adventures works best? What do they prefer, combat , dialogue or descriptions?

Kuritaki

First Post
It must be challenging to play such a game with so much detail with children, do they have enough attention span to get through it all? Also in my case the children are not that old yet and don't speak English so that adds to the difficulty...

What kind of adventures works best? What do they prefer, combat , dialogue or descriptions?

We usually play 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hours. They don't speak English either, so I have to translate it all.
They are in NO WAY interested in sex but all other themes are OK, as long as they get to be the good ones... Also it doesn't matter that bits get chopped off of the bad guys. They enjoy killing the evil monsters but when they have to get past some animals they try their best not to hurt them.
They like High Fantasy adventures with an even mix of combat , dialogue and descriptions.
Try it out with your niece and nephews, don't put any restrictions on them, let them set the pace, and have fun! :D

SlyDoubt

First Post
It sounds a lot like how I always ran combat when I first started DMing. It makes sense and really the only problems would arise with more complex fights. In general though my players already kind of do this. We generally frown upon changing out attitude/decisions entirely when something doesn't go exactly as planned, especially when it would be nearly impossible due to the situation.

I think this kind of playing goes more hand in hand when not using minis/maps. Which is how I always used to run things. Good post, thanks for reminding me on the eve of a new campaign.

We usually play 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hours. They don't speak English either, so I have to translate it all.
They are in NO WAY interested in sex but all other themes are OK, as long as they get to be the good ones... Also it doesn't matter that bits get chopped off of the bad guys. They enjoy killing the evil monsters but when they have to get past some animals they try their best not to hurt them.
They like High Fantasy adventures with an even mix of combat , dialogue and descriptions.
Try it out with your niece and nephews, don't put any restrictions on them, let them set the pace, and have fun! :D

Not any restrictions? In D&D? That sounds like freeform. Maybe fun, but I can't really do it as GM.

Oh and by adult I did not mean sex but rather ethical dilemmas etc. BTW are the rules hard to understand and learn for them? Even if they come from you. And any tips of what to run if you just want to introduce some fantasy rp-stuff to them? Myself in my day got inspired by reading LotR when 12 but I just played some book-adventures before then (if x, go to page 75). I suppose they would need some basic addition and subtraction skills just to use the character sheet in D&D? Or did you make your own?

Kuritaki

First Post
Not any restrictions?
By not restricting them I mean: Let them choose any Character and Class they like, and also play any ethical dilemma's you encounter, abuse, slavery whatever. Take your time explaining whatever they don't understand.

They already knew a lot about fantasy. We have watched Willow, LotR, Harry Potter and lots of other movies for years.

I fill in their Sheets on DnD Sheets, but they make all the decisions. I just point out the available choices. They are really good at thinking up nasty surprises for the baddies.

The first game I let them re-roll some dice, to "let them get the hang of it", but by the second game session they didn't even want to let me do that because it was cheating. (Which it was, of course ;))

Last edited:

Remove ads