• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Single class party?

Allow single class parties?

• Yes

Votes: 79 98.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.3%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes, our current online game began with 3 monks. We played just the 3 monks until level 5 and have added a ranger and cleric since then and are currently at 8th level.

But it was a blast with just the 3 monks and we could have kept playing that way. :)

IMO, you could play the game well with 4-5 PCs of any class (all the same) but feel nice differences due to subclass choices.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I could be talked into it as a player, especially with a small enough party, depending on the class--some classes, it's easier to do without stepping on each other's toes than others. I don't think I'd be likely to suggest it as a DM; figuring out what the party could and couldn't handle would take some extra calibration, I think.

Oofta

Legend
I voted no in part to be contrarian in part because I've tried it and it was a total, complete disaster. Admittedly this was in a previous edition and it would probably work better now, but a party of mages was a walking disaster destined to crash. I don't get TPKs in my home game all that often after I've been DMing the edition for a while and get the hang of encounter balance, but this was the exception.

Basically I couldn't throw much at the party other that the easiest of encounters and eventually their luck ran out. It might be different in 5E, but my one experiment was an unmitigated failure. :)

So ... maybe? Depends? Anything but an all wizard party? I mean, a party of dual rapier wielding gnomish paladins would be the height of awesome but that's probably a bit much of a niche for some people.

aco175

Legend
Have not tried it with 5e, but in the past it was ok to a point. We have discussed it in 5e and seems that most people in my group started talking about taking different 3rd level paths that make the classes more diverse. It would seem that by 5th level your cleric party would have a more fighter type cleric and a more mage type, and a more healing type. etc...

I ran an all-paladin game in Pathfinder called SMITE EVIL. It was one of my favorite campaigns ever.

1. Ifrit paladin of the god of righteous retribution, hot-headed and edging toward 'ends justify the means,' having grown up a slave and test subject of an evil wizard.
2. Human paladin of the god of art and romantic love, focused on defending and healing his allies, compassionate yet tortured because he once showed mercy to a bandit who came back and murdered his husband.
3. Aasimar paladin of the god of law and civilization, assailing his enemies with attacks from flashing sword and metallic angelic wings, overwhelmed by a sense of obligation to get involved in politics to make long-lasting change, whereas slaying evil is far simpler but a never-ending ordeal.
4. Half-elf paladin of the god of hunt, hearth, and home, with kids and a wife back home, who is the sole member of the party not dealing with emotional turmoil, because he's just focused on putting arrows in people who threaten innocents.

(And along the way they met NPC paladins of the god of doors, the god of lawyers, the god of sports, the god of taxi drivers, the god of the sun, the god of tactical warfare, the god of diluvian farming, and the [dead] god of human supremacy.)

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Would you ever play in or run a game with all the PCs being of a single class?

I am just curious as in the way back when times when I payed D&D this didn't seem to be a big deal, whereas nowadays it does.

Please feel free to tell me to get bent!
Get bent!

but yeah, would totally do it!

rogues? Cool.
Clerics? Cooler!

in a heartbeat.

warlocks?! Insanity!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads