• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sins of Our Fathers - 2/10 - Final Update

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
handforged said:
Would it be possible to have a meta-story post about some of the details of the fight against Ippizi... I mean the demon.

I echo frostrune's response - the party completely annihilated the poor demon. It was a very good lesson for me, as DM, to realize just how much of a difference it can make when the characters know when and where combat is going to occur.

I know some of you probably didn't like the way I ended the one update with a climatic "HE'S COMING!" and then started the next update post-battle. I struggled finding a way to tell the anti-climatic story while making it at least somewhat interesting for the readers. Putting the words in John's mouth - which did not truly occur in the campaign - was the method I chose. Hopefully it worked for you.

Originally posted by Lazybones
... a lot of similies, some better than others (dragging entrails like a wedding dress?), and it can get a bit overwhelming when everything is compared to something else, but overall I really like the style.

Glad to have you aboard, Lazybones. Would you be surprised if I told you I used to be much, much worse? I seem to want to drop a simile into every sentence. Maladrac (John of Pell's player) offered the same criticism regarding a novel I had written a couple years ago. It's feedback like yours that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for with respect to this story.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to getting caught up with everyone else in the coming days.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you get to where we are now. I actually went back and found a second 'wedding gown' simile. Embarassing, it is. I removed it.

The Valusian group meets in little less than a week for another Thursday-Sunday marathon session. Just reinforces my belief that I'll never truly catch up to the campaign in this story hour thread. Ugh!

Here's hoping all of you have great weekends,
D

pogre

Legend
Forgive me Destan.
The Valusian group meets in little less than a week for another Thursday-Sunday marathon session. Just reinforces my belief that I'll never truly catch up to the campaign in this story hour thread. Ugh!

Yay!!!:D [Jumps around like JHS cheerleader.]

Edit: Hey while I'm at it a quick request:
I would like to know if your group plays any differently next weekend due to your Story Hour. I think mine does in very subtle ways.

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Okay, just got caught up to where the story is.

Overall, the story and style are very strong. The descriptive text is quite good; the description of Ciddry, for instance, was evocative and gave me a good mental picture of the town. In hindsight I could better recognize the "in between sessions" postings, as the amount of character interaction dropped off significantly, but they still contributed to the overall story. I also appreciated the flexible approach to the narrative structure; i.e. telling parts of the story through flashback, switching perspective with each chapter, etc. I'm not sure if I personally would have done this with such a major plot event as the battle with the demon, but having heard the meta comments on it (that the session took place so long ago that the details were fuzzy), I understand your approach.

I empathized totally with the discussion about posting at ENWorld spoiling the writer. I've been posting fiction here for quite some time now, utterly neglecting my "serious" writing in part because I get addicted to the positive feedback (as opposed to the silence and/or ambivalence one gets from agents and editors).

As to the earlier "controversy" over the material (the one "negative" post wasn't really that harsh, as we saw in LYS's follow-up post), I wouldn't worry about it. As someone else noted, we've seen some pretty stark stuff in PirateCat's and Wulf's story hours, and those two are the most popular on the boards. Heck, I had a demon rip out a character's internal organs and hang the carcass up on a wall for his friends to find.

I look forward to future updates.

Lazy

Maladrac

First Post
54 hours of gaming madness

*yawn* *stretch* *blink,blink*

What day is it?
I just came out of a sleep-deprivation induced coma myself, so it may be some time until Destan makes it back. Plus, I heard him saying something about being "creatively tapped".

But be patient, he'll be back. And if you stick around long enough to hear him tell the tale of what happened this weekend, you won't be disappointed. We're accustomed to Destan 'dropping a bomb' during a weekend session, but this time was more like 'carpet bombing'.

Keep reading.

Maruvan,
Maladrac (aka. John of Pell)

Lela

First Post
Destan, Destan, wherefor art thou Destan? Deny thy eyelids and refuse thy yawns.

Come back to us. We can't live without you.

Remove ads