• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sins of Our Fathers - 2/10 - Final Update

Lela

First Post
Hay, Karris, I didn't realize it until you said it. If you edit the post quickly there probably won't be a problem.

xenoflare

First Post
erm

-clears throat in attempt to be diplomatic and rolls his d20-

mayhap Destan was referring to our doughty and valiant elf friend Amelyssan's role just then, in those moments of the past as written and recorded in the story thus far?

don't make this foreshadowing so ominous, oy!

yours,
shao

WizarDru

Adventurer
More simply astounding stuff, Destan. I mean, really, what a great update. Such wonderful presentations of things like an entangle spell, a ranger's use of the Wilderness Lore (now Survival) skill and a Paladin's mount are what truly make this a joy to read.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: your writing is a constant reminder to me of everything that made me fall in love with D&D in the first place.

Only criticism from this most recent entry: The -I'm Sorry, Baden. statement is difficult to decipher in context. Is this meant to be the child in Baden's mind, speaking? It's not clear, and potentially interupts the flow while the reader needs to decode it. If it's someone else speaking, it needs to be called out...if it is the child-voice, it should be made more clear. Perhaps a quick mental reply by Baden to make it clear? If it is the girl, it should be more significant or not present, as it potentially brings the reader out of the situation...and if it is the girl, her noted silence elsewhere becomes a question, as well. Just food for thought.

As for the high-level stuff, I definitely feel your pain. Like you, I didn't originally know if our game would go more than a few sessions. We started with Sunless Citadel, since that seemed to be the place to start, having been away from D&D for so long (we skipped 2e). I struggled long and hard with how to deal with the higher-levels, and the differing power-levels that it presents. Piratecat certainly gave some guidance, there, as did the patience of my players. 11th level was a turning point, I think. Now we're in the Epic levels, and the process has repeated. It's hard to believe that that simple band who set out to retrieve a magical fruit from some goblins is the same group who is now trying to defeat the Githyanki queen in her own palace on the Astral. I look forward to seeing how the Brothers of Olgotha develop, as well.

As for your story concerns, I think you've gotten plenty of advice, and should stay the course. Sometimes it's very difficult to emphasize all of the characters throughout a story hour, and you'll sometimes need to decide whether or not to emphasize one aspect (the story) over another (the record). Zad struggles with this constantly, as even as big as our story hour is, there is still plenty of content that isn't captured there, such as anything to do with the mage guild, lucid dreaming or shadowdancers.

And don't worry about the Story Hour having to take a back-seat to the supplement work: your readers will still be here. Sep and PC's readers have gone months without updates, on occasion. Your readers have just been spoiled, that's all. :)

JDragon

Explorer
Well new reader here, just wanted to drop in say hi and throw in my 2 cents on a few of the old disscusions.

I have just chewed thru the entire thread over the last 3 days at work due to the slow down with the looming holiday.

First - I actually look for SH's that are beyond 4 or 5 pages. To me this means its mor than just a passing fancy thats not going to make it past update 3. Plus it also means I'm going to have multiple sittings of reading before I'm caught up.

Second - Don't change how your righting for anyone but you. (end of story on that one)

Well, I'm going to subscribe now so I can continue to watch this develope and look forward to the next post, and the chance to check out your game world in print at some point.

grodog

Hero
Only criticism from this most recent entry: The -I'm Sorry, Baden. statement is difficult to decipher in context. Is this meant to be the child in Baden's mind, speaking?

I definitely thought that this was the child speaking, FWIW, WizarDru.

Branok

First Post
Alas, I was due for a de-lurking right about now.

Following Pillars of Hercules's example I must say:
Damn. Wow. Caramba. Note that this last word will become the new trend for new updates, just wait and see, it's all part of a huge secret plot to control the congratulatory part of replies and Bumps.

Dammit Destan, now I'm going to have hack D20's files to get the first hands-on of your supplement, or else I'll have to break into their vault to get it. :D

Congratulations are in order, since it is well earned and fitting. I was wondering when those lazy bums would show their faces and start reading your SH to hire you, although at the same time I hate them for doing so. As Lela once said in an earlier post, I find myself facing a paradox of some sort.

I must say that, as one of your younger readers (so far as any have identified themselves), I sometimes find myself overwhelmed by the fact that most people here on EN World are in the mid-twenty to mid-thirty year-old range, but those times are rare and far between, and in the mean time, I like to ponder the moral dilemmas that PC's must face in your SH, because even if I'm younger, it doesn't mean that I can't understand what the Pc's are going through, like when they have to commit a lesser evil to defeat a greater evil,and be haunted by those actions afterwards,like what happened when the PC's had to kill the convicts to summon Ippizicus (is that spelled right?) and destroy him. I find it very refreshing indeed.

And now, as you all have probably figured out, underneath all this flowery praise lies a hardly disguised BUMP!!!! ;) .

Keep up the good work Destan.

Branok

P.S.: Another tidbit of proof of my age: I never even knew there were any D&D cartoons in the 80's.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
P.S.: Another tidbit of proof of my age: I never even knew there were any D&D cartoons in the 80's.
Well, I'm not much older than you but I think they replayed them for few months. At least in Utah. They were fun. I especially liked the short Dungeon Master guy.

Edit: It was a few year's ago. Hmmm, maybe around when 3E game out. Let me check with someone. . .Nope, she doesn't remember either. Sorry.

Last edited:

Maladrac

First Post
Lela said:
I especially liked the short Dungeon Master guy.

Oddly enough, he looks exactly like my favorite Dungeon Master, Destan.

And just to let you all know; don't expect an update anytime soon. Destan will be hunting for the next two weeks somewhere in the vast, uncharted wilderness of central Pennsylvania. What can I say? The guy just likes to kill things. I guess that's why people become DMs in the first place, right?

John of Pell

grodog

Hero
Maladrac said:
And just to let you all know; don't expect an update anytime soon. Destan will be hunting for the next two weeks somewhere in the vast, uncharted wilderness of central Pennsylvania. What can I say? The guy just likes to kill things. I guess that's why people become DMs in the first place, right?

Thanks for the update, Maladrac, I hadn't realized that Destan was going to be out-of-town for so long (alas, poor us ;) ).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads