• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Site idea - Gamers in the Military

Dr Awkward

First Post
So, I've got this idea that's nagging me, and I'm hoping someone will be willing to brainstorm it with me.

I've got this lil' ol' website, all about RPGs and getting more people involved and what not - I won't pimp it here, but check out the sig if you want to know more.

Anyway, the idea that's nagging me is to add something to the site for the benefit of gamers who are serving in the armed forces - maybe a listing of various game groups at bases, on ships, and so on - or a collection of articles on getting your game on while serving your country - or a section for servicemen and servicewomen who are looking for donations of gaming items, and/or a listing of places where gamers can donate their stuff.

Or maybe all of the above. I'm not sure yet. That's why I'd like to discuss the matter with gamers who are serving or have served in the military - what would you like to see from such a project? What can I do to help you? And just as important - who would be willing to volunteer to help out?

Post ideas & suggestions here, or email me at
email.png
And thanks in advance!

- DocAwk

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
There is a pretty popular site - www.militarybyowner.com - that helps folks in the military search for housing options when they PCS and/or rent/sell their own properties. It is organized geographically and is useful. You may be able to garner some ideas from it. I think the idea has merit...but getting the word out and keeping in updated could be problematic.

~ OO

mac1504

Explorer
I would respond to a site that perhaps took requests from soldiers overseas for gaming items.

Of course I would only send items to those in the combat arms, we all know how good those poges have it on deployments :D

Poor bloody infantry...

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
When I was in the Army I was fortunate and had two guys in my squad who played. One moved off post and had a roommate who played and things grew from there into a full-fledged group. We eventually were able to add an Air Farce guy (I was at Ft Carson and we had Peterson AFB nearby) and a few civilians.

What would probably be useful would be a place to post a "gamers looking for gamers" messages listed by post/unit so you could search it and filter by your post or unit. It would be tougher for the guys that are deployed.

My neighbor just got back from Iraq and it didn't sound like he would have had time or energy for gaming...12-16 hour days, 7 days a week. He's a Ceebee (is that how you spell it?) and when he wasn't overseeing a building project, he was pulling convoy security. When I was on training deployments in the Army, time for gaming was extremely limited so I didn't bother (not sure how well my PHB would have survived a trip to the National Training Center or Pinion Canyon anyway)...I just took my gameboy and played a lot of Legend of Zelda.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
One of my close friends who I've been roleplaying with since I started is joining the marines. I'm sure he'd appreciate something like this if he has free time (which he doubts that he will). In any case I hope that we can send him a shadowrun 4th edition book when it comes out.

Troll Wizard

First Post
Having a board to find local gamers would be useful. Listing it by military bases IMO would be the best way to organize it, as most bases have multiple units and from several branches. Lots of links to mail order and online shops would also be helpful.

While in the Marines (1983-1989) I ran a D&D campaign while stationed at Camp Lejune NC, a few marines were from Camp Johnson units and we had a couple of squids from the medical support staff.

Kerrick

First Post
Those not in the military would likely be surprised at how many military gamers there are. I got hooked up with a big group in the Army at Ft. Hood, till everyone PCSed or ETSed (myself included). When I got deployed with the Guard to Iraq, I found another group, but my shifts were such that I could only play the first few hours or the last few of any given session, so I had to drop out. I think it'd be a great idea - if you know where you're going, you can look up the post and find a group or some other gamers to hook up with.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads