Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 2: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

Gregor

First Post
Chapter 2: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

The last of your horses trot off towards Gate Pass, saddlebags filled with mundane gear too heavy or cumbersome to come along on your journey into the inferno. The sounds of their heavy hooves soon fade to nothing and you're left alone with your thoughts and the constant crackling of flames.

You walk across the old bridge, each step bringing you closer and closer to the edge of Innenotdar forest. The clouds above you are heavy with signs of snowfall, but that will likely not be any of your concern given the intense heat that even now threatens to scald you.

Following Torrent's lead, you drink the first of your stand the heat potions and inch closer to the fire. The heat fades noticeably and Torrent speaks a prayer to Istishia as she creeps up to the edge. Without protection her clothing would have burst into flame and her skin would sizzle like bacon in a pan. However, the potions appear to work and like a child jumping into a cold pool, she plunges into the flames. Looking hesitantly at eachother, you follow even though every rational part of you is screaming for you to run away. One by one you cross the curtain of fire and stand on the Old Elf Road.

Though magic protects your skin against burn, you can still feel the intense, withering heat carried in terrible blasts from the trees, and you smell the acrid smoke as you enter and it envelops you, arms of black and orange embracing your party. The thick banks of smoke mean that you can’t often see more than an arm’s length in front of you, but the fierce, dry wind often blows these banks away. Powered by backdrafts and dramatic valley winds, the gusts snatch at loose pieces of clothing. During the lulls in the wind, as the massive lungs of the forest take breath, fingers of flame reach out from the smoldering undergrowth, pawing and caressing the hems of clothing and the ropes and backpacks, always threatening to grab hold and ignite an inescapable inferno. In front of you, the only thing that distinguishes the Elf Road from the surrounding territory is its relative lack of undergrowth, exposing the blackened char-rock where once the elves of Innenotdar carried their families.

Your eyes tear, your nostrils burn, your hands draw back instinctively, as if touching a boiling pot. As if diving into a dragon’s fiery maw, you have entered the Fire Forest of Innenotdar.

"Let us not stray from the roads," Torrent says nervously, "for as I told you, these potions protect us only from the heat, not the flames."

Adjuntive

First Post
Alric stays silent and keeps his eyes on the feet of the man in front. He brings up the rear as usual, though this time stays back so the rest of his party will not see written on his face what he struggles with in his mind.

Though indeed the burning forest must be a breathtaking spectacle, every fiber of his body urges him to speak nothing and divert his eyes from it, lest he go mad from fear and doubt.

Finally, after countless hours of studying Kirio's boots, Alric convinces himself that he will go mad anyways and forces himself to look up at the hellish woods. For a moment he catches himself nearly straying from the path as the flames mesmerize him. For that moment he holds his breath and his heart misses a few beats. Never before has he dreamed such a thing and now more than every he fears the answer to the riddle: what caused such a horrid thing as this burning forest?

Feeling more confident that he has mastered some small part of his fear, he trudges forward, determined to leave this forest behind and ne'er again traverse it.

Bannock

First Post
Wearing 50 lbs of armor, with another 60 lbs of equipment loaded onto his back, Bannock trundles on, feeling like a pack mule, and glad he has his glaive to lean on with each step. Walking through a forest fire while wearing a suit of metal armor would be like being pan fried if it wasn't for Torrent's potions, and with them it's only barely tolerable. He sweats profusely, and takes swigs of water from his party members' canteens and leatherskins whenever there is an opportunity to ask for some. The heat makes Bannock imagine that he's inside a forge. He can't help but wonder if this forest with its ever burning fire was placed here for them by the divine power of capricious gods who were in a metaphorical mood.

fromage67

First Post
Lars gulps the bitter liquid in Torrent's vial, and plunges grimly ahead following her lead.

The first few hundred feet feel like 10 miles. The waves of pulsating heat feel awful and his whole body soon becomes soaked in sweat. The ash kicked up by everybody's boots gest into his face and nostrils, and the wet cloth of his shirt starts to chafe under the straps of his heavy backpack.

He keeps his waterskin handy and eventually shouts to Torrent, in an effort to be heard over the crackling flames, "Will we be able to fill our waterskins? I suppose we must be careful to not all drink it at once."

The sense of unreality, compounded by his sever lack of sleep lend a dream-like air to the whole episode. Lars feels light-headed and slightly giddy despite his discomfort. When he sees Kirio's colourful clothing all bedraggled and soot-stained he chokes out a laugh, "I am afraid this weather is bad for you, Kirio. Tough to be elegant around here."

Lars nevertheless carries his crossbow under one arm as he walks, wondering if any creatures can exist in this inferno.

Gregor

First Post
Turning back after taking a gulp of water, Torrent replies to Lars: "Drink your fill Lars, my faith allows me to summon clean, cool and fresh water at will. I'm happy to fill our skins all day." She turns back to the ash-covered road and wipes her brow. "In Istishia's name, its so damned hot!"

After a mile or so of walking, smaller paths split off from the main road leading into the forest fire. However, these paths are too narrow to safely traverse: fire from the trees on either side fills the narrow trails, and a thick layer of ash makes for difficult footing. None of the trails look particularly interesting, but you can spy what looks like elven houses built out of the living boughs of trees, engulfed in fire like everything else. Their inhabitants are no doubt long dead, and the intense flames make exploration all but impossible.

You walk around a bend in the road and stumble across a trio of bodies that appear as smoldering piles of burnt flesh and blackened bones. Glints of metal and material poke out from under the corpses and thick ash-covered ground.

[sblock="For Lars"]Lars, a sudden premonition strikes your mind. You see a pair of flickering draconic eyes in the flames, looking sharply down at you. The eyes appear constant, never wavering, immune to all that surrounds them. You begin to sway as more pairs of eyes appear, thousands of them, all around, until
finally they vanish all at once. Your mind reels and you collapse for a few moments before coming to as the party looks down on you with concern.[/sblock]

Lars stands about, staring off into the fires. He ignores any of your questions or exclamations about the bodies on the road. Suddenly, after starting off into fiery space, he passes out and collapses in a heap, kicking up a cloud of ash. He lays for only a few moments, before waking and looking up at you in confusion.

Last edited:

funkmamagoat

First Post
"I am afraid this weather is bad for you, Kirio. Tough to be elegant around here."

Kirio looks down at his soot stained clothes and sighs heavily, then shrugs and laughs a little looking back at the intriguing young rogue "Indeed, it is good I will not have to play for our supper tonight..."

he passes out and collapses in a heap, kicking up a cloud of ash. He lays for only a few moments, before waking and looking up at you in confusion.

Kirio frowns and runs over the Lars, kneels and helps him sit up "Al right, that is quite enough of that Lars. Exactly what just happened to you? Once and I am willing to look it over in the interest of respecting your privacy. But we are all dependent on each other at the moment, and that did NOT look like mere exhaustion... I insist upon an answer; Torrent, I, or Hrmir may be able to assist you, and if you are being influenced by something we need to know."

OOC: Kirio thinks on Lars's collapses to see if anything "arcane" may be at work, Knowledge Arcana

Last edited:

fromage67

First Post
Kirio frowns and runs over the Lars, kneels and helps him sit up "Al right, that is quite enough of that Lars. Exactly what just happened to you? Once and I am willing to look it over in the interest of respecting your privacy. But we are all dependent on each other at the moment, and that did NOT look like mere exhaustion... I insist upon an answer; Torrent, I, or Hrmir may be able to assist you, and if you are being influenced by something we need to know."

Lars accepts Kirio's hand up, and he looks around him nervously, intently scanning the flames, looking in all directions. Satisfied, he takes out his waterskin and, his hands shaking a little, his legs feeling like they were made of cloth, takes a long gulp while he thinks over his answer.
"I had a... I think I..."

Visibly shaken, Lars takes another long gulp and pours some water on his face and neck. "I've had dreams all my life. Not normal dreams. Really vivid, strong dreams. But lately, they have become worse. More intense. I just had a ... vision I'd guess you'd call it. I saw eyes. Many, many eyes staring at us from behind, or maybe from inside the flames. Dragon eyes. It felt quite real."

Lars shrugs and grins, "I know I sound like some crazy man."

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr is really uncomfortable in this forest. Moreso from the unnaturalness of the place than the actual heat. The power of the magic that causes these flames must be immense. Everything is burning but nothing has been completely consumed.

"I can make pure water as well."

When Hrimr sees the corpses he has a good look at them trying to figure who they were and what they may have been doing in the woods.

"Visions Lars? There is nothing I can do about that Kirio. He's been touched by one of his gods, for good or for ill."

Gregor

First Post
Hrimr, you step a bit closer and take a look at the charred bodies. You notice that one body is actually still aflame. While you're not sure what race the corpses were, you can see about 50 pieces of gold, three daggers, the clasp and metal bindings of a now-obliterated book, and a spiked chain among the ash.

"Touched by his God? I would not be so quick to diagnose our friend Lars. I do not get visions from Istishia, and I doubt you do from Moradin. Lars has not been sleeping well for the past few nights and he wakes up drenched in sweat." She turns to Lars, "I don't mean to pry into your business Lars, but try to let me know what you see and how you're feeling when your visions or dreams come on. Perhaps there is a pattern to your affliction and maybe it can give us clues on how to treat you."

Last edited:

funkmamagoat

First Post
"I know I sound like some crazy man."

Kirio frowns at the description of the vision "You do not sound crazy Lars, far from it. It is obvious you possess a ... "talent" for certain arcane feats, much as my music grants me access to certain powers. I think you are sensitive to your surroundings, which grants you insights the rest of us do not have. We would be fools to ignore this talent." Looking over at Hrmir "just as we were foolish to ignore your warnings of the crow following us, no?" Back to Lars "You must tell us immediately whenever you have another vision, and in as much detail as you can remember."

Kirio readies his bow as he also starts scanning their surroundings for threats. He frowns trying to remember anything that could be of use
Dragon eyes spying on us from the flames... ?? Why Dragons? The Ragesians had a red dragon for their assault on the city... where have I heard of this before... What did Crystin say she had dreamed again "The Scourge comes, and the skulls of the dragon pursue you."

Remove ads