Six from Gate Pass - Chapter 4: The Mad King's Banquet (War of the Burning Sky)

Bannock

First Post
"What kind of a man is King Steppengard? What temper has he got? A man who keeps eight other would-be kings in line by talking instead of fighting," demurres Bannock, "must have some kind of golden tongue!"

"I can't believe that the others on this Council in Dassen all cow to this idea of a Ragesian army marching into the country, especially the Lords whose ground the bastards' route will cover. What kind of steward o' the people would you be to let 40,000 outsider troops through your holdings, making camp in your fields and holdfasts while they leech your food and rape your women? If I was one of 'em, I'd be rallying my people and my allies to fight! If that's not already happening, then Dassen's a country of cowards, or else somethin's fishy on their Council."

Last edited:

The Bashar

First Post
"I can't believe that the others on this Council in Dassen all cow to this idea of a Ragesian army marching into the country, especially the Lords whose ground the bastards' route will cover. What kind of steward o' the people would you be to let 40,000 outsider troops through your holdings, making camp in your fields and holdfasts while they leech your food and rape your women? If I was one of 'em, I'd be rallying my people and my allies to fight! If that's not already happening, then Dassen's a country of cowards, or else somethin's fishy on their Council."

Artorias looks at little perturbed at Bannock's statements.

"Our civil war ended only 15 years ago. I don't know what you've seen, but as a young acolyte I saw what the people of Dassen did to each other in the name of their lords. That wound has not yet fully healed. Some people don't want to see more years of blood shed and more of their children lost to it.

But you do have the right of it. There are likely a number of Lords who do not agree with this non aggression pact. But there is also likely some bad blood between the Lords in council as well and that could be influencing their decisions. We won't know for sure until we get there."

Gregor

First Post
"Well said Artorias," says Balan, "the motives of the King are unclear, and as you say, he is likely not eager to plunge his nation into another bloody war. The political situation is likely a tad fragmented following the decision to agree to non-aggression with Ragesia: some lords are likely in favor, others opposed and still others eager to see Ragesia crush the Seaquen in response for the blight of refugees that fled across their lands in search of the Lyceum."

Kiernan, the head of the war department, fills a tankard of ale and stands up to begin pointing at the map. "I think we've heard enough of politics. The heroes know what we are asking of them and we can only hope that they succeed. If you will all now turn your attention to the map, we can discuss some other matters." He takes a drink and smooths out the large map:

"As you are aware, Seaquen and the Lyceum lay to the south of Idemmer Wood and the marshes which follow. Bresk lays on the banks of the Nasham River which cuts right through the Kingdom of Dassen. While Seaquen was being struck by a bizarre winter hurricane, weather in Dassen and further north has been terribly and unusually cold. If you'll recall from our war council meeting, we believe this to be connected to the damaged Torch of the Burning Sky. The temperature here already taking a downward turn in Seaquen, and it looks like it will snow within a week, even though winter should be coming to an end soon. The Nasham River that runs north through
most of Dassen has frozen, whereas the King’s Road, while normally an easy highway, is currently buried under snow and would be difficult passage. You with me so far?"
He takes another sip.

"By horse or drawn wagon, you should be able to make it to the edge of the Idemmer Wood within 2 days. After that, any small village along the shores of the Nasham should be able to sell you shoes for your horses which will allow them to run along the frozen river which is used in times of winter when the road snows over. It should be about 120 miles from that point which you should easily cover in another 3 days. That should put you at the gates of Bresk."

"While I have the map in front of you, this is probably a good opportunity to bring you up to speed on the war intelligence I've gathered via sendings from my contacts in the resistance."
He begins to point to different places as he explains.

"Gate Pass is still a battleground, with the Second Ragesian Army now controlling several districts, and interestingly, Shahalesti forces working to aid the city’s defense from the other side. Shahalesti and Ragesia are also battling in the northern reaches of Shahalesti, as the Fourth Ragesian Army heads for Nacaan, capital of the northern Shahalesti state ... its to the East of what is represented here on the map. The Ragesians apparently plan to join up their two armies after conquering Gate Pass, in order to drive for Calanis, the Shahalesti capital." He takes a sip to wet his mouth. "Simeon, anything else you want to mention?"

"We have been studying the remains of Lee Sidoneth's Orb of Storms and have come to some interesting conclusions. We have sent a group of agents to the Monastery of Two Winds, on the border of Ostalin and Sindaire, following clues that suggest the monastery might have been involved in the hurricane plot. We are not sure what they will learn, but I'll keep you informed. We have also employed another group, recruited by General Xavious, and sent them to find any evidence about the fate of the Torch of the Burning Sky. As you will recall, our ambassador from Sindaire believed he knew where the Torch was and that Leska is in desperate search for it. Our agents are following his leads." Simeon pauses before continuing. "I tell you these things because you are key agents in this war for resistance against the Empire. We need your help more desperately than anyone elses and I have every faith that you'll be able to convince King Steppengard that alliance with Ragesia is a fool's errand and that by allying with Seaquen and the arcane might of the Lyceum, we all stand a greater chance of coming out of this alive."

"The Lyceum will pay for your horses and we will ensure that your house is kept secure and under guard while you are away. It is imperative that you leave in the morning and I leave the decision as to whether you bring Balan along, with you."

GM: The map of the Kingdom of Dassen has been shared via Google Documents.

Last edited:

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio stands and nods to Simeon and Balan "Well... I think we know enough. We will ensure we have all we need to leave early tomorrow. I think we can forgo your services friend Balan; as I said I am well versed in diplomacy and we should be able to arrive at the desired outcome, namely ensuring Dassen is between us and 40,000 Ragesian troops." He turns to Artorias "I pleased to have you join us, unless one of my companions objects, a local and a cleric would be indispensable I would say. As we will be leaving early you are welcome to spend the night at our residence..."

funkmamagoat

First Post
After ensuring all the preparations are underway, Kirio goes out that evening for one last performance in Seaquen before they head of towards Bresk...

Bannock

First Post
As the meeting breaks up, Bannock takes Kiernan by the arm and leads him to the side of the room to speak quietly. They exchange a few words before filing out behind the others.

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
GM: Hey adventurers, I think we may need to put the game on hiatus for a while. I'll be heading to South America for most of the month of May and for a lot of it, my internet connectivity will be spotty or non-existent. Also, our fair Arnir is packing up his life and driving across this great continent on his way back to Toronto so he'll be out of commission for at least a couple of weeks himself. Lets pick it back up in late May / early June.

Remove ads