D&D (2024) Size = Strength-Constitution?

Yaarel

He Mage
How do you feel about Size having nothing to do with species, and depending entirely on Strength and Constitution?

MINIMUM SCORE FOR BOTH STR AND CON: SIZE − TYPICAL HEIGHT

25:
Gargantuan – about 32 feet tall
21:
Huge – about 16 feet tall
17:
Large – about 8 feet tall
13:
Medium (Powerful Build) – about 6 feet tall
9:
Medium − about 4 feet tall
5:
Small – about 2 feet tall
1:
Tiny

So.

In order to be Medium Size, one must have at least a score 9 in both Strength and Constitution.

An 8 in either, means the character is Small.

The Size determines how much space one occupies. However the height is "typical", and a player can choose the height and bodytype for their character.

Some Dwarf concepts will gain Powerful Build, but player can still choose to be 4 feet albeit broad and weighty.

A larger Halfling might imply Dwarf or Human ancestry.

It is possible for a Human with a score 17 in Strength and Constitution, to be Large.

Huge is possible at Epic Tier.

Size has no mechanics in itself, but other mechanics can refer to it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So let me see if I have this straight. In one thread you make a joke about how there is no good reason for there to be halflings in the game, and in another to make it so they literally CAN'T have a combo of a higher strength and con and be a halfling but they must have dwarven or human genetics in them?

Man, I do not want to hear from you anymore about how there can't be racism in D&D. Not when you've decided to go on your own racist bender.

Yaarel

He Mage
So let me see if I have this straight. In one thread you make a joke about how there is no good reason for there to be halflings in the game, and in another to make it so they literally CAN'T have a combo of a higher strength and con?
A Halfling can have higher Strength and Constitution, but that means the Halfling isnt Small. The Halfling can still be about 4 feet or so.

The reason for not needing a Halfling is, they seem like a member of the Human species who is shorter. A Small Human who takes the Lucky Feat.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
All I've got is... 'Why'?

Like what is this meant to achieve?
Some people complain about the inconsistency between Size and Strength. Such as Halfling who is Strong. So, walla.

It also is for the Human, who invests in both abilities, to be a Large Size character.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A Halfling can have higher Strength and Constitution, but that means the Halfling isnt Small. The Halfling can still be about 4 feet or so.
Which is a racist sterotype. Little people can be very strong and healthy. There is no sound biological argument behind what you're stating, it's just a racist trope. You're advocating to codify a racist sterotype about little people, since you think halflings are an analogy for little people (though they are not).

The reason for not needing a Halfling is, they seem like a member of the Human species who is shorter. A Small Human who takes the Lucky Feat.
Which, in fantasy terms, is another racist sterotype. Members of that race in D&D would call someone else saying that a racist, right?

What has gotten into you today?

Remove ads