• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Size to Hit Bonus and Grapple

dema

First Post
My halfling gets a +1 to all attacks due to this size, does this also apply to the grapple attack? or is the grapple attack strickly base attack bonus, +str mod + size mod + ( can misc mod be my small size?)

You replace your size bonus to hit with the special grappling size bonuses.

So, a halfling is at +1 on the melee touch attack to start a grapple, but is at -4 on his grapple checks once he hits.

frankthedm

First Post
dema said:
My halfling gets a +1 to all attacks due to this size, does this also apply to the grapple attack? or is the grapple attack strickly base attack bonus, +str mod + size mod + ( can misc mod be my small size?)
Trust me, you are not done dying.

The size bonus applies to the touch attack to initiate the grapple. After that succeeds you roll an opposed grapple check. A check that represents how well you can get a hold of and control the foe using strength and mass. Your +1 to hit becomes a whopping -4 to the grapple check.

Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + special size modifier

Special Size Modifier: The special size modifier for a grapple check is as follows: Colossal +16, Gargantuan +12, Huge +8, Large +4, Medium +0, Small –4, Tiny –8, Diminutive –12, Fine –16. Use this number in place of the normal size modifier you use when making an attack roll.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple

the Jester

Legend
dema said:
But what about the misc modifier? No way to apply my +1 halfling bonus???

No, the size bonus in a grapple changes to -4. It isn't a different bonus, it simply changes.

You're out of luck on that one- sorry! But there are a couple of feats in Complete Warrior that will help you out in a grapple- Close-Quarters Fighting and, hmm, can't recall the other one's name off the top of my head.

drdevoid

Explorer
the Jester said:
No, the size bonus in a grapple changes to -4. It isn't a different bonus, it simply changes.

You're out of luck on that one- sorry! But there are a couple of feats in Complete Warrior that will help you out in a grapple- Close-Quarters Fighting and, hmm, can't recall the other one's name off the top of my head.

Clever Wrestling is what I think you are thinking of. It essentially halves the size bonus of the larger creature.

arscott

First Post
Hmm.

That doesn't sound like it would do a lot of good in the case of a small creature (+4) being grappled by a medium creature (+0)

Remove ads