• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Skeletal Whirlwind Monster?

koesherbacon

First Post
I'm trying to remember the name and source of a monster that I either read somewhere or thought up on my own. If this monster is the later, then disregard this reference question.. Otherwise, let me describe the monster and you can tell me what it's call and which book it's in (including the Tome of Horrors books).

The monster is Undead and basically an amalgam of many different skeletons and/or miscellaneous bones. It lays on the ground surrounded by other skeletons/bones and blends in as a pile thereof.

When it detects living creatures the skeletons/bones animate into a whirlwind of flying bone shards. If it kills any living target, it strips the flesh from their bones and adds their bones to its collective.

I'm pretty sure it's Huge or greater in size but also has the ability to condense itself into a smaller area should it need to travel through an area that a normal Huge creature could not.

I also think this creature is considered a Swarm for the purposes of automatic damage, resistances and vulnerabilities.

Finally, when it condenses itself into a smaller area, it can stop functioning as a Swarm and attack specific creatures and loses the resistances and vulnerabilities it had when it was a Swarm.

Does this monster actually exist or did I make it up? If it does, where can I look up it's stats? If it doesn't exist, I'll make it in HeroLab and share my creation with you all.

Thank you very much!

Ramaster

Adventurer
Man, that is one cool skeleton!

I am no expert on pathfinder monsters (I do have all the Bestiaties, but I don't posses the tome of horrors) but I can't recall that thing existing. Homebrew your guy and share it here for input!

koesherbacon

First Post
This probably won't format properly, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm also linking you to a PDF of the statblock just in case it doesn't show up right here. Here's the pdf link: http://goo.gl/GXITNI

Let me know your thoughts about this bad boy who is going to end up being the boss for a Level 5 party.

Bone Shard Whirlwind CR 8
XP 4,800
Bone shard whirlwind
NE Huge undead (air, elemental, megaswarm)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., lifesense; Perception +0
Aura gale-force winds
hp 96 (12d8)
Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +8; +0 bonus vs. channeled energy
Defensive Abilities half damage from pierceing weapons, limited gaseus form; Immune critical hits, flanking, precision damage, staggered, megaswarm traits, undead traits
Weakness cold susceptibility, vulnerability to area effects, vulnerable to channeled energy
Melee 6 claws +15 (1d3+8 plus 1d4 bleed), 6 slams +15 (1d3+8)
Huge Swarm Melee —No Attack Roll— 1d6+6 B/P/S plus 1d3 bleed
Gargantuan Swarm Melee —No Attack Roll— 1d4+4 B/P/S plus 1 bleed
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks bleed, cloud of razors, shard spray, swarm attack, claws & slam (2@Large, 4@Medium, 6@Small)
Base Atk +9; CMB +19; CMD 32 (can't be bull rushed, can't be grappled, can't be tripped)
Skills Fly +0, Stealth -5 (+15 Stealth When laying still)
SQ expand, shrink, size alteration detail
Cloud of Razors (Huge or larger) – 1d6 Rounds
Shard Spray (Large or Smaller) – 1d4 Rounds
• Burrowing (15 feet) You have a Burrow speed.
• Cold Susceptibility (Ex) A cold-based effect or attack freezes the vapor creature's form causing it to function as if affected by a slow spell. The effects last for 3 rounds. This only affects a vapor creature in vapor form.
• Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
• Expand (At will) (Ex) The Bone Shard Whirlwind may spend a Move Action to grow by one size catagory to Gargantuan. While in the form, the Bone Shard Whirlwind deals only 1d4+4 plus 1 bleed Sarm damage to any target inside it's squares. In its normal Huge form, it deals 1d6+6 plus 1d3 bleed Swarm damage
• Flight (30 feet, Poor) You can fly!
• Gale-Force Winds (Ex) Every 1d6 rounds, while the Bone Shard Whirlwind is size Large or larger, it can increase the amount of wind it is emits to that of a hurricane. Every creature within 20-ft must make a CMD roll against a DMB +23 or be pushed back 10-feet and knocked prone. Flying creatures must also make a Fly DC 25 check or fall to the ground.
• Half Damage from Pierceing Weapons Half damage from piercing weapons.

• Immunity to Ability Drain, Bleeds, Critical Hits, Death Effects, Disease, Energy Drain, Exhausted, Fatigue, Flanking, Mind-Affecting, Non-Lethal Damage, Paralysis, Physical Ability Damage, Poison, Precision Damage, Sleep, Staggered, Stunning lots of immunities
• Lifesense (60 feet) (Ex) Sense things and creatures without seeing them.
• Limited Gaseus Form (Ex) Because the Bone Shard Whirlwind is comprised on an collection of bones, it has an Limited Gaseuls Form, depending on its current size.
o Gargantuan = 30% Miss Chance
o Huge: 25% Miss Chance
o Large: 20% Miss Chance
o Medium: 15% Miss Chance
o Small: 10% Miss Chance
• Megaswarm Traits Immune to effects targeting number of creatures (unless mind affecting vs hive mind).
• Cloud of Razors (DC 19) (Ex)
o While either Huge or Gargatuan in size, every 1d6 rounds the Bone Shard Whirlwind can spend a Full-Round action to create a vortex comprised of its jagged shards.
o Any creature caught within the Bone Shard Whirlwind takes 2d8 B/P/S damage as well as 1d4 bleed.
o This high-speed attack also creates the effect of Fog Cloud spell which is centered at the Bone Shard Whirlwind's center but unlike the spell, this only lasts for 2d4 rounds.
o During this attack, it loses its Swarm Attack for the next round as it gathers its bones back into its body. Additionally, after this attack is resolved, the Bone Shard Whirlwind reverts back to Huge size.
• Shard Spray (DC 19) (Ex)
o As a Standard Acition every 1d4 rounds,, the Bone Shard Whirlwind can spray a collection of its Bone Shards in either a 30-ft cone of 60-ft line. These attacks are treateed as a Magical Attack fur purposes of overcoming DR.
o When used as a Cone, these shards cause 2d8 B/P/S damage and an additional 1d6 bleed damage to anyone caught in the blast.
o When using this as a Line, it deals 4d8 B/P/S damage and an additional 1d6 bleed damage to the closest target, 2d8 damage and 1d4 bleed to the next-closest target, and 1d8 damage plus 1d3 bleed to any targets further away.
o In both the Cone and Line, a successful Reflex DC 19 save halves the damage and negates the bleed.
o The Bone Shard Whirlwind can only use this ability when shrunk to Large or smaller since it needs coalesce into a smaller area to gather it's Bone Shards for the attack
• Shrink (At will) (Ex) The Bone Shard Whirlwind may spend a Move Action in order to shrink itself by 1 size category. It may do this as many times per day as it likes, however it cannot become smaller than Small in size. When it shriks to sizse Large or smaller, it loses it's Swarm abilities, however it gains 2 slam and 2 claw attacks per Size category it has shrunk to.
• Size Alteration Detail (Ex) Due to the Bone Shard Whirlwind's ability to resize itself as well as its partial gaseus form, it does gain either the benefits nor penalties for changing sizes. It's AC, CMB, CMD, etc all stay the same as its natural size of Huge.
Swarm Attack (1d6+6 plus 1d3 bleed) Foes in the same space as a megaswarm takes automatic damage.
Undead Traits Undead have many immunities and use Cha in place of a Con for all effects.
Vulnerability to Area Effects You are vulnerable (+50% damage) to spells and effects that damage an area.
Vulnerable to Channeled Energy (Ex) You are vulnerable (+50% damage) to channeled energy.

Remove ads