• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skeleton and mark

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

can someone explain to me what the mark ability of a skeleton does?

Skeleton: MM p. 234

First of all I thought it has the same properties as the ability from the fighter. But then I thought that this is called combat challenge. And that the paladin can also mark and there is some difference between these two marks.

Furthermore there is no explanation in the description or in the MM alltogether. :uhoh:

Cheers, Evil DM.

ac_noj

First Post
PHB page 227:

MARKED

You take a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack
that doesn’t target the creature that marked you.

glass

(he, him)
First of all I thought it has the same properties as the ability from the fighter. But then I thought that this is called combat challenge. And that the paladin can also mark and there is some difference between these two marks.
The paladin has extra bad stuff layered on top of the basic mark, but even the paladins mark does the standard -2.

Evil DM

First Post
The paladin has extra bad stuff layered on top of the basic mark, but even the paladins mark does the standard -2.

If you call it like that you have to agree that the fighter also has extra stuff.

If I get this right the basic for beeing marked (as a condition) is a -2 to attack rolls if you attack another enemy than the one which has marked you.

But the fighter gets the extra stuff that he can also attack the marked enemy if it leaves an adjacent square (except for forced movement, teleporting, etc....)

And the Paladin gets the extra stuff that the marked monster receives extra damage for attacking another one than the paladin.

Cheers, Evil DM.

fba827

Adventurer
As already said, I'm just saying it in different words ...

Mark in of itself is a condition (see phb 277).

And, any defender class (fighter, paladin, swordmage, etc) gets a class feature that does mark and extra stuff.

You have to refer to the class features itself to see what the extra stuff is, though more often than not, it mentions the benefits of the mark condition right in there with the extra stuff ... which is why so any people don't realize mark is a separate condition. :)

But if anything (like monster abilities) just says "mark," then it's talking about the condition and only the condition in the phb (p277).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads