• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Skeleton behavior

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Skeletons are animated with the command to "attack anyone who comes within 10ft of them". How does that work as long as nobody comes near 10ft of them? Are they just a pile of bones? Are they skeletons that don't move at all? What happens if someone attacks them from farther away? They just let themselves being killed?

"As you come in view of the macabre skeletons, they move with an unsettling rattle. Each draws a rusty shortsword and scrapes it on the stone floor as if to draw a line in the sand before stepping back a few feet. They silently watch your every move. What do you do?"

The skeletons attack if the PCs cross that line or attack them.

They may be commanded to ATTACK if anyone comes within 10', but that doesn't stop them GUARDING or PATROLLING or WASHING LAUNDRY until that point.

If I was a necromancer and went to all the trouble of animating a bunch of skellies I'd make sure they were useful to me even when I don't have a bunch of adventurers come knocking.

I'd have them:
Keep lookout: ring a warning bell or send a messenger to me if someone approaches and attack if they keep coming to within 10', but they can still report on other comings and goings.

Clean the place.

Fetch water from the well.

Entertain me by playing one another's ribcages like a xylophone while I eat.

Tend the garden where I grow my deadly nightshade.

Act as messengers and carry notes to people for me.

Man the windmill or operate the drilling equipment.

Build.

Wash my robes.

Play bridge with me.

Search the ruined temple I've moved into for traps for me.

Stand very still and be a coat hanger.

Dig a latrine and deal with my nightsoil.

All sorts of stuff.

The fact they only ATTACK when intruders get to within a certain distance doesn't preclude then from doing their day job until that point.

delericho

Legend
I generally take the view that the negative energies that animate undead are inherently inimical to life, and that as such undead will naturally attempt to destroy any living creature they see/hear/sense, unless they have been specifically ordered not to.

Which, conveniently, matches exactly with the MM: "When skeletons encounter living creatures, the necromantic energy that drives them compels them to kill unless they are commanded by their masters to refrain from doing so."

If the order is "attack anything that comes within 10ft", that doesn't say they shouldn't attack other creatures that don't.

DeathMutant

First Post
Personally, I like piles of bones that rise-up to form a (nearly) complete skeleton before attacking and, when they are destroyed, fall back into a pile of bones. The same with an apparent corpse -- or parts of a corpse -- that stumble and lurch after whatever disturbed them. This makes the players a little paranoid whenever they see a pile of bones or strewn body parts and encourages the use of Holy Water or clerical blessings to pro-actively neutralize the *potential* threat before they get too close to "activate" them.

Wuzzard

First Post
Just don't bother with anything written in an adventure module. The writer can't have anticipated what happens at your table. Have the skeletons do what you want them to do. That way the scene matches your play group and style, and nothing is force fit and ridiculous.

Just remember: you are not a video game.

I think it depends on the goals of the necromancer who placed them where they are. If you think he's a good-hearted sort who would have ordered them to spare the lives of anyone who didn't approach, then they'll keep doing their skeleton thing (playing cards, dancing, whatever) until the enemy crosses that line or attacks them. If you think he was just trying to make sure they didn't get decoyed out of position, then they'll do their skeleton thing (murderously engage with crossbow fire) while giving top priority to anyone who crosses that line.

If it's been more than 24 hours since the necromancer last renewed his control of them, they'll do their skeleton thing (put down their cards and kill the intruders) regardless of what their last orders were.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Personally, given what the module states, I'd have them attack only if a creature closes within 10 ft., or if they are attack (since I think it's chintzy that PCs could just sit back out of range and fire at them without reprisal).

As far as having the skeletons stand around motionless until activated or having them arise from a pile of bones when activated... I'd so personally have them arise from a pile of bones as that's so cinematic and awesome. :)

Ultimately, do what you feel is right to further the enjoyment of your players and yourself.

redrick

First Post
I have played multiple adventures where skeletons line walls, but don't animate until some trigger happens. In some of these cases, I have allowed sufficiently paranoid characters to snipe the skeletons until the trigger condition is met.

Sometimes, the PCs will attack a skeleton, realize that it's not attacking back, and then decide the skeleton is not a threat. Shooting arrows at a skeleton is less effective than bashing it to pieces with a mace, so they'll get bored of sniping it with a bow.

Attacking the skeletons might draw wandering monsters, another disincentive for spending a good deal of time destroying every non-threat the PCs see. This is especially true if the dungeon contains skeletons which are just plain old dead bodies.

Another option is to have only the attacked skeleton respond. The PCs will finish off that skeleton, but might decide not to engage the remaining skeletons, thinking, "if I don't attack it, it won't attack me." Then, when they walk past, enter trigger.

Sometimes the PCs will kill all the skeletons before they have a chance to respond. Nothing wrong with that. They have a right to hit the win button every once in a while. The only problem here is if the "win button" is just a long, tedious series of the one archer character pew-pewing at skeletons for 10-15 rounds. This would be a good place to bring some of those wandering monsters in. Wandering monsters should always be employed when players spend too much time being boring.

Remove ads