• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Tricks and Experts

mosaic

Explorer
Complete Scoundrel says skill tricks aren't meant for everyone, just folks with enough skill points to spend a few on flavor. They seem to be refering mostly to Rogues and Bards, but what about the other skillful class - Experts!

Does anybody have any ideas on how the concept of skill tricks could be applied to Experts? How could they be used improve/expand on the item creation system and Craft/Profession checks?

I've got this 3rd party book - Experts 3.5 by Skirmisher Publishing - that tries to make Experts better than adventurers at crafting things by positing that the manufacture of some complex items like weapons and armor require skills in several areas. For example, to make a suit of Scale Mail, a person would need 4 ranks in Craft (Armorsmithing) plus 4 ranks in Craft (Blacksmithing) and 3 ranks in Craft (Leatherworking). It makes creating armor the providence of expert craftsmen who invest all their energy in their profession, not just some adventurer with a few skill points to burn.

Anyway, doesn't this sound kind of like a proto-skill trick system? Could Experts have their own group of skill tricks - "Creation" or "Making" or something like that - that help them be better than other classes at making things? Like maybe there would be a skill trick called "Crossbow Maker" with prereqs of Craft (Weaponsmith) 5 and Craft (Bowmaker) 2 that would allow them to make crossbow faster/cheaper/better than someone without that trick?

I don't know. Skill tricks just seem like they have some potential for making Experts really good at what they do. I'd love to hear other thoughts on this.

Thanks

Remove ads