• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skillmonkey fighter?

6pakofdwarves

First Post
I did just this thing one time. Human single class fighter with high Int and Able Learner feat. It was actually quite a bit of fun and my fighter was that much more useful. I played him as a tactical type. Always had to have a plan before fighting if possible and then would have 3 different "basic" plans for surprise encounters. I had him take quite a few knowledge skills and then some extra in spot and listen. He hated surprises....

eGuru

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
Just be patient a little while longer, until the editing on Vikings D20 is done, then play a Viking. ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm a shameless plugger... :heh:

Ohh, Vikings, eh?

(Guess it worked...)

Driddle

First Post
... Aaaaaaand that's about it. The responses so far have hit all the high points: fighter/rogue, UA variants on each, Able Learner feat et al. Beyond that, you're getting into pretty esoteric, homebrewed arrangements.

Thurbane

First Post
blargney the second said:
What is it you're hoping to accomplish in the end, Thurbane? If we know your goal, we might be able to point you down a path that will help you out.
I guess I'm wanting a character with good BAB, who gets the fighter bonus feats, and has a good skill array.

I think the Thug option, coupled with the feats I mentioned, is looking like the best so far... :)

Thurbane

First Post
So at first level, I'd be looking at something like this:

Human, Thug, 1st level

STR 15
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 8

Feats: Able Learner, Open Minded

Skill Points: 33 (max ranks 4, 2 crossclass)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
A couple more questions to refine the search.:)
1) What level do your games usually end around?
2) What effects do you want to use the fighter feats to accomplish?
3) Do you want completely full BAB by the time you anticipate the campaign ending, or are you okay with one point less?
-blarg

rgard

Adventurer
Personally I'd do the Martial Rogue 2 / Thug 18.

You'll lose one on the BAB, but you'll gain:

1. 1 feat. You'll get 2 (from the martial rogue) to offset the loss of the last fighter feat.
2. Boat load of skill points, especially with 2 levels of rogue at the front end.
3. Evasion...you already dropped the heavy armor proficiency with the thug, so you might as well be in light armor to get the benefits of evasion, not to mention tumble and the like.

Able Learner is my default human 1st level feat.

Edit: Duh, take a look at Swashbuckler for 3 levels max. I should have thought of that before I initially posted.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
blargney the second said:
A couple more questions to refine the search.:)
1) What level do your games usually end around?
2) What effects do you want to use the fighter feats to accomplish?
3) Do you want completely full BAB by the time you anticipate the campaign ending, or are you okay with one point less?
-blarg
1. Not entirely sure if this will be an NPC in my current game (around 10th level) or my next PC when someone else DMs, starting at first level.
2. Hadn't really though that far in advance, but probably looking at either an archer fighter, or technical fighter (trip, disarm etc.)
3. Full BAB would be ideal

Nifft

Penguin Herder
rgard said:
Personally I'd do the Martial Rogue 2 / Thug 18.

Thug 16 / Feat Rogue 4 seems better IMHO. Uncanny Dodge is nice, and two more levels of skill points are nice.

- - -

For multiclass combinations, consider: Rogue 4 / Swashbuckler 3 / Halfling Paragon 3 / Fighter 10. Take Weapon Focus and Specialization (Daggers), and then Melee Weapon Mastery and Ranged Weapon Mastery.

For massive Martial multiclass madness, consider: Rogue 4 / Swordsage 4 / Swashbuckler 3 / Halfling or Human Paragon 3 / Thug 4 / Ranger 2. You'll need a DM who hates XP penalties, of course. Else, drop the Rogue levels to 3 and raise the Ranger level to 3 (and be careful with the order you level up).

There's some fun to be had with Cloistered Cleric + Persistent divine power, too. ;)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads