Skills using different ability scores

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
These are all great ideas. The Constitution (Athletics) seems obvious to me now that I see it written down, until now I don't think I had considered it.

The Intelligence (Thieves' tools) reminds me of the Acquisitions Inc. episode where they used Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) to piece back a badly burnt and broken piece of parchment.

I should just match up every Ability to every Skill proficiency in a matrix and see if can come up with a reason why it might be justified.

Intelligence (Stealth) to camouflage something. I'd also possibly allow Intelligence (Deception).

Intelligence (Animal Handling) to research something about a beast.

Intelligence (Medicine) to diagnose an injury or disease when you can't examine the patient (for example, from reading a journal or history book).

Intelligence (Persuasion) for arguing a legal case.

The various tool proficiencies could be applied to different ability scores. Intelligence (Gaming Set) to play the game. Dexterity (Gaming Set) to cheat. Wisdom (Gaming Set) to notice cheating. Charisma (Gaming Set) to use common knowledge of the game to start a dialogue with someone.

Here is a conversation I once had regarding this exact topic but then we got carried away...and this was the result:
DM: "My view on these things is, generally, "More than one way to skin a cat"

Player 1
Skinning a cat is definitely survival. Knowing how many ways is survival modified by int. ;)

Player1
or Nature to acknowledge skinning hairless cats is an act in futility

Player 2
You can also use charisma to convince a nearby mook to do it for you

Player 1
Animal handling to get it to skin itself

Player 2
History to remember where another such skin is located so that you can just go get that one instead of wasting time skinning a new one.

Player 1
Arcana to learn the ‘Skin’ spell or to conjure one up

Player 2
Deception to convince everyone you have a skin you don't have.

Player 1
Stealth and slight of hand to steal one

Player 2
Investigation to find a second, already skinned and cured, skin in some nearby rubbish.

Player 1
Athletics to wrestle one out of someone’s hands

Player 2
Stealth to hide and wait for someone else to come and skin it for you.

Player 1
Acrobatics to juggle a cat and some skinning knives

Player 2
Religion to talk a god into skinning it for you.
Without being smited for it.

Player 1
Medicine to know which jar holds the pickled cat skin

Player 2
Insight to see if the dead animal feels okay about being skinned.

Player 1
Intimidate to blackmail someone into giving you the skin before the druids find out

Player 2
Perception to realize that skinning was never necessary to solve the problem, and all this discussion only allowed the party to be ambushed and murdered as the DM always planned.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Intelligence or Wisdom works with almost any skill when trying to analyse or detect someone else's use of it. For instance, a Wisdom (Athletics) check to realise that a competitor in a race is deliberately holding back, or an Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) check to determine how best to secure the party's valuables against pickpockets before entering a bustling city.

We've been using Charisma (animal handling) for any acts of seduction - both to and from men and women. It's been a blast. Makes the entire table crack up all the time. One girl now calls her PC the "Man Handler."

Remove ads