• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skin Scribe PrC

sircaren

Explorer
OK, just to clear it up right away this PrC isn't mine. One of my players wrote it, I'm looking for feedback. It strikes me as a bit too powerful, but I can't put my finger on why.

Feedback appreciated. :D

SKIN SCRIBE (Rev 3/30/02)
The skin scribe is an arcane spellcaster who specializes in creating arcane tattoos – magical tattoos that can produce spell effects on those adorned by the artist’s work. Having mastered the Scribe Arcane Tattoo feat, the skin scribe can create arcane tattoos that store high-level spells, and can even create permanent works of art – essentially transforming the recipient’s skin into a permanent magical item.
All skin scribes need sufficient space, time and lighting to do their work. They also require masterwork artisan’s tools costing at least 100 gp.
HIT DIE: d4

REQUIREMENTS: To qualify to become a skin scribe, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
SKILLS: Craft (drawing or calligraphy) and Craft (tattoo), 8 ranks
FEATS: Scribe Arcane Tattoo
SPELLCASTING: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells

CLASS SKILLS:
The skin scribe’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Int), Craft (calligraphy, drawing, tattoo) (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int) and Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Table 3-X: The Skin Scribe
Level BAB Fort Ref Wil Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Body Art, Scribe 2/day
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Scribe Arcane Tattoo (4th)
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Improved Arcane Tattoos
4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Free Action Tapping 1/day
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Magical Artisan (arcane tattoo)
6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Scribe Arcane Tattoo (5th)
7 +3 +2 +2 +5 Free Action Tapping 2/day
8 +4 +2 +2 +6 Maximize Tattoo, Scribe 3/day
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 Free Action Tapping 3/day
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Scribe Arcane Tattoo (6th)

CLASS FEATURES:
All the following are class features of the skin scribe prestige class.
WEAPON AND ARMOR PROFICIENCY: Skin scribes gain no proficiency in any weapon or armor. In fact, even the rare bard skin scribes tend to disdain armor, as it gets in the way of the scribe showing off (and tapping) his own tattoos.
SPELLS PER DAY: A skin scribe’s training focuses on arcane magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of skin scribe, he casts spells and gains spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (metamagic or item creation feats, for example). If the character has more than one arcane spellcasting class, he must decide to which class he adds each level of skin scribe for purposes of determining spells per day when he adds the new level.
BODY ART: The skin scribe gradually transforms his own body into a magical item. The skin scribe can scribe magical tattoos on his own skin that do not take up a magic item space, without applying the typical “no space limitation” modifier to the cost of the tattoo. At any given time, the skin scribe can have a number of such tattoos no greater than 1+skin scribe level. Note that the skin scribe can have more arcane tattoos than this number, but any beyond this number either take up a magic item space or cost the normal amount for a magical item that does not take up a space.
SCRIBE X/DAY: The skin scribe has perfected the art of arcane tattooing and can now scribe two arcane tattoos totaling no more than 1000 gp base value within one 8-hour period, rather than one. At 8th level this rate improves to 3/day. Regardless of market value, it never takes a skin scribe more than one day to scribe an arcane tattoo.
SCRIBE ARCANE TATTOO: Beginning at 3rd level, the skin scribe’s advanced skill allows him to scribe arcane tattoos holding higher-level spells. The skin scribe can scribe tattoos with 4th level spells at 2nd level; the maximum spell level the skin scribe can use in making a tattoo increases with the skin scribe’s level, as shown in Table 3-X: The Body Artist, to a maximum of 6th-level spells. The market price of such tattoos is equal to 50 gp per spell level times the level of the caster. Each tattoo costs materials equal to ½ this cost, plus the cost of any exceptional components needed to cast the stored spell. The body artist must also pay XP equal to 1/25 the market value of the tattoo.
IMPROVED TATTOOS: Beginning at 3rd level, the skin scribe can start scribing arcane tattoos that function more than once, or which function as permanent magical items, as detailed below. These tattoos are much more costly in terms of base price, cost to create (1/2 base price) and XP cost (1/25 base price). The caster level can be set at any level sufficient to cast the spell, up to the skin scribe’s effective caster level.

# of Uses Base price Skin Scribe Level
Charges* Spell level x caster level x charges x 50 gp 3
Charges per day* Spell level x caster level x charges x 400 gp 5
Constant Effect** Spell level x caster level x 2000gp 5

*If the spell has a component or XP cost, add that cost times the number of charges to the base price of the tattoo. The skin scribe can create tattoos with a maximum number of charges equal to 5 times his skin scribe level. Thus, a 3rd level skin scribe can create a tattoo with up to 15 charges. The skin scribe can create a tattoo with a number of charges per day equal to no greater than 1/2 his body artist level. Thus, a 6th level skin scribe can create tattoos that can be tapped three times a day.
**Constant Effect tattoos do not have to be tapped – they have a constant effect on the wearer. If the spell has a component or XP cost, add 100 times that cost to the base cost of the tattoo. The highest level of spell a skin scribe can inscribe into a permanent tattoo is no greater than 1/5 his skin scribe level. Thus, an 5th level skin scribe can inscribe a permanent tattoo holding a spell of levels 0 or 1, while a 10th level skin scribe can create a permanent tattoo of a 2nd level spell. Spells which have a duration of one round or “until discharged”, or which last only until some specific action or condition occurs, cannot be scribed into constant effect tattoos. If the spell has a component or XP cost, add 100 times that cost to the base price of the tattoo.
FREE ACTION TAPPING: The skin scribe eventually becomes so attuned to his own creations that he can tap his own tattoos as a free action, acting so quickly that he does not provoke an attack of opportunity and can take a full round of other actions. He can do this once a day starting at 3rd level, twice a day at 7th level, and 3 a day at 9th level. The skin scribe must still be able to tap the tattoo in order to use this ability, meaning he cannot be held, grappled or otherwise unable to touch the tattoo.
MAGICAL ARTISAN: At 5th level, the skin scribe receives the Magical Artisan feat as a bonus feat. He has become so skilled at scribing magical tattoos that he can do so at 75% the usual material and XP cost.
MAXIMIZE TATTOO: Starting at 8th level, the skin scribe can scribe arcane tattoos that are maximized, as if under the effects of a Maximize Spell feat, without altering the level of the spell being used to create the tattoo. Maximizing a tattoo adds +5 to the DC of the Craft check required to scribe the tattoo.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
THis is a bit much. I'd add prequite of Skill Focus Craft tattoo

I'd limit thew spellcasting to at least every even level. And then tone down on the abilities.

sircaren

Explorer
Hmm the skil focus tattoo idea is a good one. I would think limiting the increase in spells to every other level would weaken the class quite a bit though.

MonkeyBoy

First Post
its a bit strong, specifically:

Maximise Tattoo is cheap, the DC should raise a lot more than 5. In fact i'd be inclined to say that the SS could use maximise, on tattoos only, even if they didn't have the feat, or if they had the feat then lower the cost by 1 or 2 levels for tattoos only.

The Scribe Arcane Tatto Xth are too good; you can get into the class at 5th level - this means you can scribe 4th level spells as soon as you can cast them - too good IMO.

Some of those "no space restriction" concepts are a bit wrong; you couldn't have a tattoo available to use on your hands AND wear gauntlets of ogre power, now could you? It also lets the character gain a LOT of extra magic items on their person very cheaply.

I'd advise _reducing_ the cost of not using an item location, rather than giving it away free.

The free-action tapping seems an odd mechanic. I'd be inclined to say "either you can do this as a free action, or you cannot" I see no logic to doing it only x times a day. I'd give that ability once, say at 5th or 6th level and then leave it at that.

I'm not familiar with the underlying tattoo feat; is there a limit to the number of tattoos a character can have? if not then there should be!

sircaren

Explorer
We've had the argument about tattoo locations many times, its already pared down from what it was. I must have an older copy of the class, as of right now he can't have tattoo's where he has other equipment at all. As for the free action, its simply to limit the power. Invariably when there is a big battle, the first action is a 'free action on haste tatoo' followed by massive spell casting, usually leading off with fly. It's quite annoying to be quite honest - I'm beginning to wish I hadn't allowed him to try it in my campaign. The only recourse I've had so far is to pummel him when he casts too many spells against semi-intelligent NPCs. I almost got him with a disintigrate spell too heh, damn saves.

Perhaps a +10 to DC for maximize then? As for the scribing, I was thinking that it shoudl maybe max at 5th level spells. I wouldn't think that would hurt the class all that much.

Good thoughts so far, thanks. :D

MonkeyBoy

First Post
That was the impression I got :)

Played one of those once. Sucked.

Mainly due to Rifts - somehow having me running around with throwing knives and some tattoos that spawned gibbons, and another player in glitter-boy armor, didn't seem quite right to me.

But then, I hate lasers and mechs anyway :)

Crothian

First Post
MonkeyBoy said:
That was the impression I got :)

Played one of those once. Sucked.

Mainly due to Rifts - somehow having me running around with throwing knives and some tattoos that spawned gibbons, and another player in glitter-boy armor, didn't seem quite right to me.

But then, I hate lasers and mechs anyway :)

Like all games, it isn't for everyone. :D

I still have fun with it, though.

Remove ads