• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Skinwalker class

aco175

Legend
There is a new TV show called Skinwalker Ranch which may have some info, on Discovery channel. I started to watch the first show last week and they were talking about shapeshifting.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Funny thing, just this week my brother showed me a horror themed podcast and I happened to watch the skinwalker episode just the day before yesterday

[QUOTE="Shadowcortax, post: 7956060, member: 7020761]
1. I'm not going for the always evil approach.
[/QUOTE]

If you want to be true to the myths, I think they have to be always evil. What you want is closer to a nahual which is more morally neutral. Maybe you coudl take the Lycatrope class from Ensider and modiffy it/refluff it to taste?

Last edited:

You can see the SRD about the shipter class by Pathfinder.

My suggestion is to use the name "Nagual".

My own idea to have got a different style is a mixture of vestige pact magic and incarnum soulmelds. How to explain it? The nagual summon a totem spirit, like the vestiges. The totem gives a list of special powers, practically monster traits (for example natural weapons as claws), and locking points of essence in chakras (body slots) this powers can be "upgraded", like the spells with metamagic feats. The goal is have powers to be chosen the gameplay has to be fast and simple, even naguals as nPCs controlled by the DM.

Shadowcortax

Dragon fanatic
You can see the SRD about the shipter class by Pathfinder.

My suggestion is to use the name "Nagual".

My own idea to have got a different style is a mixture of vestige pact magic and incarnum soulmelds. How to explain it? The nagual summon a totem spirit, like the vestiges. The totem gives a list of special powers, practically monster traits (for example natural weapons as claws), and locking points of essence in chakras (body slots) this powers can be "upgraded", like the spells with metamagic feats. The goal is have powers to be chosen the gameplay has to be fast and simple, even naguals as nPCs controlled by the DM.
I was kinda looking at this as part of my inspiration.
Sorta a mix between a nagual and a skinwalker/medicine man.
The class is supposed to represent a medicine man/shaman with skinwalker/nagual abilities as part of it. I'm going off the inspiration from books like the Mercy Thompson and Jane Yellowrock books

Shadowcortax

Dragon fanatic
seems more like a druid subclass of some sort. Maybe with subclass abilities that lean into martial ranger themes?
That's the problem I'm running into most.
Most people see it as just a druid reflavor, but that's not what I'm lookin for. Also I tried to rework the druid into it and it doesn't quite work.

Shadowcortax

Dragon fanatic
Can you be specific about how the Druid doesn't apply?
The wild shape is ok, just needs to be altered a bit.
But the rest of the class doesn't really fit. The druid is about plants and animals, the class I'm working on is more about medicine, spirits, and the connection between all things.
The closest I've come so far is a druid/monk/cleric hybrid with a little thrown in from ranger and bard.

But the rest of the class doesn't really fit. The druid is about plants and animals, the class I'm working on is more about medicine, spirits, and the connection between all things.
Just refluff the healing spells as involving herbs, Conjure Animals RAW already summons spirits, not real animals, and it's up to the DM what philosophies druids believe in in their setting.

As for skinwalkers, from what I know of the myths, these are monsters, not player characters.

I'm always wary if a player wants a non-rules class. It seems to smack at either special-snowflakeism, experience that 3rd part classes tend to be overpowered, or a failure of imagination. Usually, I just say "no, but you can refluff an existing class".

Remove ads