• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skipping unturnable undead

Tharkon

First Post
Quick question but I can't find the answer anywhere in the book.

Let's assume an ecounter with three undead.
Undead 1 is 2HD and standing at 10 feet distance.
Undead 2 is 5HD and standing at 10 feet distance.
Undead 3 is 2HD and standing at 20 feet distance.

The party cleric is level 1 with Cha 12 and rolls 12 on his D20, resulting in 13 meaning he can turn undead of HD 2 or lower.

Now he rolls bad on his turning damage and gets two 1's resulting in a total turn damage of 4.

Now the question is which undead are affected.
Undead 1 is easy, it is turned and uses up half the turning damage.
Undead 2 can't be affected, but does it use up turning damage?
If no, Undead 3 can be turned, if yes it can't.
The book says turned undead can be skipped, but does not say any other undead can be.

Anyone ever had this situation before, and if so what was the result?

I'm pretty sure you skip any undead you are not capable of turning when determining which you do turn.

I'm looking for rules support now, though, and haven't found anything conclusive.

akbearfoot

First Post
It wouldn't make sense to count undead you couldn't turn.

If you have a 30 hit dice zombie next to you in melee, and 10 wimpy ones behind it, the big one shouldn't make the others immune. In this instance I think calling it turn 'damage' confuses the issue a little.

Kinda like a sleep spell...if its centered on a troll and a few goblins, the goblins aren't immune to the sleep because the troll has too many HD.

Tharkon

First Post
Kinda like a sleep spell...if its centered on a troll and a few goblins, the goblins aren't immune to the sleep because the troll has too many HD.

The sleep spell specifically says creatures are affected from lowest to highest HD and only when HD is tied the closest is affected.
Turning says creatures are affected from closest to furthest, and when tied for range the lowest HD is affected.
Turning also specifies that turned creatures can be skipped, I would assume they would add unturnable creatures to that.

My opinion is they are skipped, but I'm trying to find and compare evidence for and against it.

EDIT:
The variant presented on page 66 of Unearthed Arcana is weak evidence in favor of skipping unturnables.
This variant calls for a level check on each undead, closest to furthers, success means its affected, failure means its skipped.

This variant is presented specifically to get rid of unturnables altogether though, so it's only weak support.

EDIT 2:
Supporting the opposite of it is this change to the example:
The party cleric is level 1 with Cha 14 and rolls 20 on his D20, resulting in 22 meaning he can turn undead of HD 5 or lower.
Now 2HD are used up on Undead 1, and the other 2 are wasted on Undead 2.
Unless we assume it's also skipped in this situation, which makes the explicit mention of distance before hitdice in the book less important, this would result in a high roll punishing the cleric.

Last edited:

Remove ads