• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skirmisher--new base class

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Okay, I've watched enough players go the Ftr/Rog route now (or their variants with Rgr, Bbn, or any combination of the 4) to feel like dropping a new class on my players. Before I give them the option, though, I'd like to run it by you folks.

Please check over this for balance issues and the like. The idea here is that the skirmisher is a much more rogue-ish fighter than a plain fighter, and a much better combat-ish rogue than a plain rogue, but that this class doesn't have access to the trap-based stuff that rogues or the great BAB that the fighter has.

SKIRMISHER
The skirmisher is a combatant who utilizes the fighting prowess of the fighter and rogue. The skirmisher doesn’t gain quite as much combat proficiency as the fighter or the trap-based skills of the rogue. Instead, the skirmisher attempts to maximize his ability to engage in combat.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The skirmisher’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

BAB = Rogue, Good saves = Fort, Ref
Level Special
1st Sneak attack +1d6
2nd Bonus feat
3rd Evasion
4th Sneak attack +2d6
5th Bonus feat
6th Uncanny dodge
7th Sneak attack +3d6
8th Bonus feat
9th Improved uncanny dodge
10th Sneak attack +4d6
11th Bonus feat
12th Improved evasion
13th Sneak attack +5d6
14th Bonus feat
15th Special ability
16th Sneak attack +6d6
17th Bonus feat
18th Special ability
19th Sneak attack +7d6
20th Bonus feat

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the skirmisher.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A skirmisher is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with medium and light armor and shields (excluding tower shields).

Sneak Attack: If a skirmisher can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The skirmisher’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the skirmisher flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every three skirmisher levels thereafter. Should the skirmisher score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
A skirmisher can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The skirmisher must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A skirmisher cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level, a skirmisher gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The skirmisher gains an additional bonus feat at 5th level and every three skirmisher levels thereafter (8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A skirmisher must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.
These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A skirmisher is not limited to the list of fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a skirmisher can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the skirmisher is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless skirmisher does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a skirmisher can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If a skirmisher already has uncanny dodge from a different class she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A skirmisher of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.
This defense denies another skirmisher the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more skirmisher levels than the target does.
If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum skirmisher level required to flank the character.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the skirmisher still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless skirmisher does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Special Abilities: On attaining 15th level, and again at 18th level, a skirmisher gains a special ability of her choice from among the following options.

Crippling Strike (Ex): A skirmisher with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.

Defensive Roll (Ex): The skirmisher can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the skirmisher can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the skirmisher must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll—if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the skirmisher’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Opportunist (Ex): Once per round, the skirmisher can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the skirmisher’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even a skirmisher with the Combat Reflexes feat can’t use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

A Fighter 10 / Rogue 10 will have the following abilities:
- a BAB of +17
- a base will save of +6
- a base reflex save of +6
- a base fortitude save of +12
- 6 fighter feats
- +5d6 sneak attack damage
- evasion
- uncanny dodge (bonus to AC, no flank)
- 1 special rogue ability
- ~124 skills points (if you start with rogue)
- ~87 hp (if you start with rogue)

A Skirmisher 20 will have the following abilities:
- a BAB of +15
- a base will save of +6
- a base reflex save of +12
- a base fortitude save of +12
- 7 fighter feats
- +7d6 sneak attack damage
- evasion
- uncanny dodge (bonus to AC, no flank)
- the equivalent of 3 special rogue abilities (counting improved evasion)
- 92 skills points
- ~94 hp

ergo, your skirmisher seems indeed overpowered.

AR

Last edited:

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I noticed that the class was overpowered too--after I posted it. I made a toned-down copy, and I think it's better. I've taken out all the descriptions of the special abilities that are in the previous post.

SKIRMISHER (Skm)
The skirmisher is a combatant who utilizes the fighting prowess of both the fighter and rogue. The skirmisher doesn’t gain quite as much combat proficiency as the fighter or the trap-based skills of the rogue. Instead, the skirmisher attempts to maximize his ability to engage in combat.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The skirmisher’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

BAB progression = rogue; Good saves = Fort and Ref

Level Special
1st Combat readiness
2nd Sneak attack +1d6
3rd Bonus feat
4th Evasion
5th Improved combat readiness
6th Sneak attack +2d6
7th Bonus feat
8th Uncanny dodge
9th
10th Sneak attack +3d6
11th Bonus feat
12th Improved uncanny dodge
13th
14th Sneak attack +4d6
15th Bonus feat
16th Improved evasion
17th
18th Sneak attack +5d6
19th Bonus feat
20th Special ability

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the skirmisher.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A skirmisher is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with medium and light armor and shields (excluding tower shields).

Combat Readiness: A skirmisher can qualify for some feats more quickly than usual. If there is a BAB prerequisite for a feat, then if the skirmisher’s class level is higher than his BAB, treat his class level as his BAB for the purposes of determining if he qualifies for that feat. (For example, a 1st level skirmisher qualifies for Weapon Focus, and a 4th level skirmisher may qualify for Spring Attack.)

Bonus Feats: At 3rd level and every four levels thereafter, a skirmisher gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A skirmisher must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Improved Combat Readiness: A skirmisher fights nearly as well as a fighter. He may select feats that have fighter levels as a prerequisite, and may qualify to do so sooner than would otherwise be the case. For any feat with a fighter-level prerequisite (such as Greater Weapon Focus), add the BAB from the skirmisher’s class levels to any fighter levels he has for the purposes of determining if he qualifies for that feat. (For example, an 11th level skirmisher has a +8 BAB and so qualifies for Greater Weapon Focus; similarly a Skm10/Ftr1 would also qualify for Greater Weapon Focus. Further, a 6th level skirmisher could take Weapon Specialization with his 6th level feat, or could use his 7th level skirmisher bonus feat to do so.)

index

First Post
The Skirmisher looks like a good niche for it's role, but I have ask why?

(IMO, the extreme proliferation of PrCs and even base classes in d20 is pushed by the multi-classing penalties.)

What's wrong with filling this role with a Fighter/Rogue multi-class?

I'm probably the wrong person to review this, because I've recently become a rabid fan of the Generic Classes in WotC's Unearthed Arcana, where everything is done with multi-classing (if necessary) between only three base classes (four if you count Spellcaster (arcane) and Spellcaster (divine) seperately), feats, and bonus feats.

--index

JimAde

First Post
index said:
The Skirmisher looks like a good niche for it's role, but I have ask why?

(IMO, the extreme proliferation of PrCs and even base classes in d20 is pushed by the multi-classing penalties.)

What's wrong with filling this role with a Fighter/Rogue multi-class?

I'm probably the wrong person to review this, because I've recently become a rabid fan of the Generic Classes in WotC's Unearthed Arcana, where everything is done with multi-classing (if necessary) between only three base classes (four if you count Spellcaster (arcane) and Spellcaster (divine) seperately), feats, and bonus feats.

--index
Generic Classes aside, I think this class has a definite purpose. Sometimes Ftr/Rog just isn't appropriate. If you want a precision/sneak attack fighter, but don't want to be able to disarm traps and decipher script, taking rogue levels wouldn't fit your concept. Looks cool.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
To index, JimAde pretty much summed up my reason for the skirmisher. It's easy to make a character who is good at close-quarters fighting. A high Dex, combat reflexes, maxed out tumble, mobility, weapon finesse probably, etc. But, there's no need for this individual to also be good at opening locks, disabling things, being able to use magic items, etc. Sure, if you want this, a rogue/fighter does the trick. But, I was after someone who takes advantage of the rogue's combat advantages and mixes that with the fighter's combat skill, all the while not having any proficiency with traps.

Dave

Turanil

First Post
Something just stroke me: what you are trying to do has been done by Monte Cook in his Arcana Unearthed book: it's the Unfettered class. It gets d8 hit-die, fighter bab, Sneak Attack ability (up to 5d6 at 20th level), bonus feats plus special abilities, a Defense bonus, and 4 skill points per level. I think it's really worth the look. Maybe a friend of yours has the book; or you could buy the pdf dealing with the AU warrior classes (I think it's maybe 8$ or so).

Just my 2 cents of course.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Turanil,

Thanks for the info. I don't have the AU book (and wasn't planning on getting it). But, maybe I'll take a peek when I'm next at my FLGS, and see if there's enough in there that I might want to make it a good buy for me.

Dave

Turanil

First Post
The game mechanics of AU are OGC. If you are interested in them, I can send the game mechanics of the Unfettered to you via email (or on this board if it doesn't look anti-ethical / moderator opinion welcome).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads