• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SKR's problem with certain high level encounters

Numion

First Post
From Sean's Rant:
(And I have to mention that as an incorporeal creature it shouldn't have any natural armor, and naming a new creature after a one-word common term is a no-no, and to kick the monster out of your body you're making an opposed Wisdom check instead of a Will save which means that 17th-level characters are not much better than 5th-level characters, and I'm not sure why it needs Balance and Tumble when it's incorporeal and can fly, but those are issues with this specific monster rather than with high-level play).

Hope they're still working on the book, a lot has to be done ;)

My beef with CRs is this:

My players encountered a Night Hag / level 16 Sorcerer, which makes it CR 22. they were 19th level, and it was an overkill. They slaughtered it in 1.5 rounds. Now, had that been a 22nd level human Sorcerer (also CR 22), I would've slaughtered half the group easily! (The sick puppy DM that I am :D)

So, multiclassing and CR don't mix in regards to spellcasting classes. (Here the other part of multi"class" was the Night Hag "levels".)

So UK, does that system of yours address this? (Balance multiclass casters vs. caster level = char level characters, that is)

Hope I made my point clear.

EDIT: Me not posting correct

Last edited:

Fenes 2

First Post
IMC, we do not bother with cr/xp. XP is not used at all, we just level up from time to time, when the group thinks it fits. As a DM, I use CRm as a criteria when selecting a monster - which I use rarely, I prefer NPCs as adversaries - but I normally tailor it for my group.

What is wrong with adjusting monster stats on the fly anyway? I'd rather have an interesting battle as a player than a walkover or TPK, and I could not care less if the monster was used straight out of the book, or winged by the DM. If your DM has not that much time to prepare any and all mosnters, why not let him adjust it during combat? Or do you consider that cheating? (As if a DM could cheat - his word is law in game...)

As a caveat, we do not have many fights during our sessions, normally one fight, and almost nil "random encounter slaughterfests", so I do not have to resort to monsters and CR that often at all, but still... why the fuss about CRs? I'd rather worry about save or die spells at higher level ruining the combats and battles.

Hi there! :)

Numion said:
Hope they're still working on the book, a lot has to be done ;)

My players encountered a Night Hag / level 16 Sorcerer, which makes it CR 22. they were 19th level, and it was an overkill. They slaughtered it in 1.5 rounds. Now, had that been a 22nd level human Sorcerer (also CR 22), I would've slaughtered half the group easily! (The sick puppy DM that I am :D)

So, multiclassing and CR don't mix in regards to spellcasting classes. (Here the other part of multi"class" was the Night Hag "levels".)

So UK, does that system of yours address this? (Balance multiclass casters vs. caster level = char level characters, that is)

Hope I made my point clear.

Looking at the character you mentioned on paper it seems ECL 25/CR22. However did you give it the NPC wealth of a 25th-level character?

Malik Doom

First Post
Well I agree with SKR mostly.

IMO an encounter can and will negate a few abilities of the PC's, as encounters are variable. But you should not always out your PC's up against things that negate most if not all of their cool abilities, as they will lose interest.

Now in encounters where some of the PC's are at reduced effectiveness they must find ways to become effective, ie a Cleric goes to power up mode for other pc's, or the Wizard does the same, or the Rogue goes to sniper mode. Things like this make everyone useful, but not as much as they would normally be.

In otherwords, you are as effective as you make yourself, just don't take away the abilities of the PC's all the time or you might be looking for more people to play in your game.

Have fun.

Junkheap

First Post
I think he is talking about the hag in bastion of broken souls. in our party my cleric beat it in iniative and destructioned it. It didnt even MOVE. An example of really insane monsters - Monte's demon gods fane. Fiendish fire giants. Now that is min maxing LARGE. The party got WIPED out so fast from the amount of damage that it wasn't even funny. Major weakenss nullified by the fiendish template while adding SR and smiting. Now if that doesn't end up ripping many a party to smitherines i don't know what will.

Numion

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi there! :)

Looking at the character you mentioned on paper it seems ECL 25/CR22. However did you give it the NPC wealth of a 25th-level character?

It was from the Bastion of Broken Souls. Shouldn't a CR 22 creature have an EL treasure? Actually the creature would've died sooner but they spent time dispelling it's spells.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Numion said:

I agree. While adding fighter-type levels to creatures makes them tougher in an easy to understand way, bolstering their strengths, spell casting levels are only tangentially effective. The NightHag/16th Sorcerer was probably LESS effective than a Nighthag fighting alongside a 16th Sorcerer! Half the output, half the number of targets, no support... As someone else has mentioned, one bad init roll and a single monster that has everyone gunning for it tends not to last long!

When adding caster level to monsters (or monster level to casters) I'm normally use the EL chart in the DMG and figure out what it would be if the two levels were working in conjunction. It is always much less than simply adding the levels together.

The Serge

First Post
CR isn't the end all, be all.

In some ways, this argument reminds me of a thread at the WotC site on Demiliches.

When I read SKR's "rant" yesterday, I was of two minds on the issue. On one hand, I agreed that the CR may have been off by a bit and that the Effigy, as printed, would cosume more than 20% of a four party group of 20-whatevers facing it. Almost.

It struck me that CR is at its best only a guideline for the DM. A DM looking at the Effigy needs to decide two things. Does he want this to be a "regular run-of-the-mill" monster, or does she intend on doing something special with this entity? Secondly, are we talking about a 20% expenditure for all involved characters across the board or a total expenditure for the entire party. A Wizard casting a whole-bunch of spells, half of which make it through, may well spend more than 20%. But an epic level Fighter, with all of the armor benefits and bonuses she should have may not suffer an excessive amount of damage.

The reason this reminds me of the Demilich is because I wonder if most DMs will use an Effigy as a standard monster. The Demilich presented in the ELH is a CR 29... which means it casts as a 21st level Wizard. Thus, the Wizard in a party attacking it should be 29th level, effectively eight levels higher than the entity. But, I've never seen a party of equivelent encounter levels fighting a Demilich because I don't see such a contest as being inherently a fair fight. By itself, the EL will be off the roof if the PCs, after fighting their way through all manner of traps and guardians, reach the prepared Demilich who will have more traps and guardians. Further, a Demilich is a campaign boss/mastermind, IMO. It's not meant to be an average challenge in the first place. Is the Effigy in the same boat? Should it be expected to be an average challenge or is it something greater, and is its CR only a general guideline similar to that of Dragons?

What this boils down to is how you see your monster and how you use CR. CR is a guideline and a very effective one at lower levels. I'd dare say effective until 20th level at the least. However, any DM of any significant degree of creativity and imagination will not allow CR to limit his/her campaign and may well put four 13th level PCs facing a CR 13 Iron Golem in a small room with an copper piping that will conduct any electricity across the room, harming everyone. The CR may be accurate, but the EL will challenge the PCs beyond 20%.

mkletch

First Post
Up the ante...

Plane Sailing said:
It would be interesting to break down CR in the same way that AC is broken down... AC 19 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural, +5 chainmail). Of course it isn't that simple, since CR is a multi-variant thing, but taking an example that gets mentioned a lot:

Remorhaz. CR 7 (base 6*, +1 damage, +1 ambush, -1 no ranged).

This would be a beautiful addition to the game, either in future products, future errata and/or as an addition to the SRD.

My problem with high-level encounters is with the ELH. Whether throwing a low-level epic monster against a high level non-epic party, or playing in an epic campaign, the monster attacks and defenses are just outrageous.

There are so many creatures with multi-die and multi-ability ability drain, who cares if your character has 300 hit points? You have 25 Dex, and are taking 2d4 Dex damage per (touch usually) attack, twice a round. It's simply like you have 4th level, 25 hit points and bad armor all over again and are facing a creature with a falchion. Except now, your combat ability decreases as you take damage. You almost need a ring that casts restoration on you every round or something.

The thing that really ruined the ELH for me was DR. There are only like 15 creatures with damage reduction that you can bypass with a non-epic weapon out of more than 60 monsters. Considering that a simple +6 weapon is worth half of the total wealth of a 22nd level character (per the table), it is safe to assume that this commodity is fairly rare until 30th level; and well beyond the resources of NPCs under 35th-40th level, per their table. Epic items, especially weapons, have been reduced to a 'must have' commodity, just as +4 and +5 weapons are simple commodities in non-epic high level play. How disappointing. The Penetrate Damage Reduction feat mitigates this, but is reduced to a 'must have' feat for anybody that ever considers using a weapon - so much for lots of feat choices.

A single epic monster of any sort is just too much for most parties to handle, up to even low level epic play. And considering that these things are wandering all over the place, and epic level characters and epic weapons are rare at best, how did they not wipe out all life ages ago. And don't tell me the gods could do a thing, since they only can hit +4 or +5 DR creatures and hardly do 5-20 points of damage per attack after the DR, except for Thor or on critical hits. Good thing deities are immune to ability loss....

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love the 'feel' of the epic book, but the implementation requires just silly-stupid power levels, both in magic items and character abilities. How one makes the transition from non-epic to epic level play is a mystery to me. It would be like skipping seven grades in school, and going right from 3rd grade to 11th grade - completely blown away unless your party is dripping with artifacts. I bought it as a DM resource, to make custom high-level opponents, but the utility is limited even for that. And you thought the CR system broke down at 10th-15th level. Try 25th.

Fletch!

The Serge

First Post
Re: Up the ante...

mkletch said:

There are so many creatures with multi-die and multi-ability ability drain, who cares if your character has 300 hit points? You have 25 Dex, and are taking 2d4 Dex damage per (touch usually) attack, twice a round. It's simply like you have 4th level, 25 hit points and bad armor all over again and are facing a creature with a falchion. Except now, your combat ability decreases as you take damage. You almost need a ring that casts restoration on you every round or something.
I see what you're saying here, but I wonder if that's part of the point. I don't think the goal was for epic level monsters to be treated in the same vein as "traditional" monsters. I think that even when epic-level characters face these things, they are supposed to be worried.

At this point (and the more I think about it, the more I think I may be a little off in my initial post), perhaps CRs need to be changed a little to reflect the fact that epic monsters are never expected to be base challenges. Or, perhaps CRs for epic monsters better reflect them being a reasonable campaign threat for epic PCs... you know, a reasonable adversary/archvillain/boss encounter...

mkletch said:
The thing that really ruined the ELH for me was DR. There are only like 15 creatures with damage reduction that you can bypass with a non-epic weapon out of more than 60 monsters. Considering that a simple +6 weapon is worth half of the total wealth of a 22nd level character (per the table), it is safe to assume that this commodity is fairly rare until 30th level; and well beyond the resources of NPCs under 35th-40th level, per their table. Epic items, especially weapons, have been reduced to a 'must have' commodity, just as +4 and +5 weapons are simple commodities in non-epic high level play. How disappointing. The Penetrate Damage Reduction feat mitigates this, but is reduced to a 'must have' feat for anybody that ever considers using a weapon - so much for lots of feat choices.
I don't think that most epic characters are going to be fighting a lot of epic monsters. I think an epic monster encounter ideally occurs rarely for characters in the early levels of epic play. Ideally, epic PCs should be facing high CR traditional monsters and NPCs as they make their way to those first few epic encounters.

And even for epic PCs, I think an epic monster should be a big deal that requires that they put out all of their energy and resources. Yes, a +6 weapon is expensive, but I don't see why it should be expected that an epic PC automatically expect to have it to use against an epic monster with a */+6. Frankly, I think that at the lower end of epic play, PCs should expect to really be challenged and have to fight to beat lower level epic monsters. They should also be required to get involved in some real role-playing research when preparing to deal with such beings.

mkletch said:
A single epic monster of any sort is just too much for most parties to handle, up to even low level epic play. And considering that these things are wandering all over the place, and epic level characters and epic weapons are rare at best, how did they not wipe out all life ages ago. And don't tell me the gods could do a thing, since they only can hit +4 or +5 DR creatures and hardly do 5-20 points of damage per attack after the DR, except for Thor or on critical hits. Good thing deities are immune to ability loss....
I think this (and it could be argued that everything I've said is) a campaign driven issue. IMC, there are epic level monsters. Most, if not all of them, are either trapped somewhere, dead, or not interested in conflict. When my PCs get to the point when they can confront the lowest level ones, they will never deal with more than two within a four to five game period... and that's if they really spend time getting ready for such encounters.

Again, I don't think that epic encounters are intended to be similar to non-epic, so it doesn't bother me that one low-level epic encounter may prove difficult. I do think, though, that perhaps the use of CR should be reevaluated for epic levels as either ideal levels for "boss-type" monsters or increased by four or five.

mkletch said:

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love the 'feel' of the epic book, but the implementation requires just silly-stupid power levels, both in magic items and character abilities. How one makes the transition from non-epic to epic level play is a mystery to me. It would be like skipping seven grades in school, and going right from 3rd grade to 11th grade - completely blown away unless your party is dripping with artifacts. I bought it as a DM resource, to make custom high-level opponents, but the utility is limited even for that. And you thought the CR system broke down at 10th-15th level. Try 25th.

Fletch!
IMC, the transition begins at around 17th level. The PCs begin to learn more about what's out there, have a lot of time and resources to create magic items, research current and possibly new spells, and look into acquiring lost minor artifacts. They have the means to acquire vast amounts of information and reasonably dependable allies.

The PCs (they are equivalent to a 20th level party since there are six of them and one is slightly lower level than the others) IMC have already faced two low level epic NPCs, a CR 24 Death Knight and a 21st level Cleric. The Wizard in the party cast maze on the Death Knight, taking him out of combat. The fact that the cleric suspected an attack is the ONLY thing that kept her alive and allowed her to escape. When the Death Knight returned, the PCs beat the tar out of it quickly. Unfortunately, the Cleric had two prepared miracles and resurrection and brought the Death Knight back (spending loads of xp to do so).

It can be done, but I think it requires a degree of real involved preparation by the DM and an understanding of the DM's world and what s/he hopes to accomplish with the PCs.

Remove ads