• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slaad-a-palooza!

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ooh, damn! *snaps fingers*.
Feathercircle, I'll be watching your career with great interest (at least for these 4 slaadi).

Demiurge out.

Ferret said:
I might try doing the Beige Slaadi soon...

I really can't wait to see the Mauve Slaadi, the Teal Slaadi, and the Ecru Slaadi. Terrifying, but tasteful.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before we see the 5m20y20k Slaadi. Unless slaadi use the Pantone system—then it would be the PMS 21-8 C Slaadi.

;)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Feathercircle, are you going to post the Ravenloft slaadi? I hate to sound impatient, but I will gladly take that duty.

Oh, and I'll finally have the prismatic slaad up one of these days.

Demiurge out.

Feathercircle

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Feathercircle, are you going to post the Ravenloft slaadi? I hate to sound impatient, but I will gladly take that duty.

Oh, and I'll finally have the prismatic slaad up one of these days.

Demiurge out.

Sorry, I was having difficulties finding some references I needed since they were at home rather than here with me at college, and I also had the complications of term papers and Finals to deal with. In short, real life intervened and took up huge chunks of my time- I'm planning on posting at least three of the four during this upcoming week, since I'm now on fall break. The Mist Slaad may take a little longer than that to get properly calibrated.

I apologize for leaving you all hanging.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Here is my random Slaad mutation table for 3.5e. Please consider it OGC.

Table 0: Mutation Type (d10)
1: Serious Disability
2-3: Cosmetic Disability
4-7: Cosmetic
8-9: Cosmetic Enhancement
0: Serious Enhancement

Then, roll on ONE of the following tables:

Table 1: Serious Disability (d10)
1: Weak: -2d4 Strength
2: Clumsy: -2d4 Dexterity
3: Translucent Flesh: -2d4 Natural Armor
4: Attention Deficit Disorder: 25% chance to lose each action
5: Babbling: cannot stop talking, automatically fails Move Silently checks, cannot communicate or cast spells
6: Wasting Away: no Fast Healing
7: Vulnerable to Energy: no Energy Resistances, and takes +50% extra damage from one energy type (d4):
-- 1: Acid
-- 2: Cold
-- 3: Electricity
-- 4: Fire
8: Stumpy Legs: -50% movement rate, cannot Pounce
9: Daylight Blindness: Dazzled by Daylight spell, automatically fails save vs. Flare
10: Stumpy Arms: -5 ft. reach

Table 2: Cosmetic Disability (d10)
1: Cyclops: -4 to Spot checks, -4 to missile attacks, -2 Initiative
2: Small Mouth: bite deals only 1d8 base damage
3: Only One Arm: -4 to Grapple checks (plus obvious effects)
4: Single Hopping Leg: -10 ft. movement rate, but +10 to Jump checks, and can Pounce just fine
5: Glowing (Ex): the Slaadi sheds light appropriate to its color, illuminating a 30 ft. radius. It always fails Hide checks and cannot benefit from concealment.
6: Annoying Extra Limb: the Slaadi has an extra arm or leg growing out of its body, but the extra limb has a mind of its own. -1 to all actions.
7: Beak: bite deals only 2d4 damage, cannot communicate (but can cast spells)
8: Blood Vulnerability: mortal blood acts as acid to this Slaadi, and it takes 2d4 damage every time it successfully delivers a Bite attack against a mortal.
9: One Big Ear: -4 to Listen checks, -2 Initiative
10: Scrawny: -20 HP

Table 3: Cosmetic Strangeness (d12)
1: Eyes on Stalks (Ex): all-around vision (+2 to Spot, can't be flanked), but eyes are vulnerable to Sundering (10 hp each, re-grow within 1 hour)
2: Lizard Tail: -5 ft. speed, +4 to Grapple, Balance and Swim checks
3: Legless Orb Body (Ex): natural 20 ft. Fly speed (Perfect), no land speed
4: Bat Sight (Ex): the Slaadi has no eyes, but instead has extra bat-like ears, and gains Blindsight 60 ft. (but is effectively blind beyond that range).
5: Gripping Hand: One arm ends in a great talon that cannot make normal attacks, but grants a +10 bonus on Grapple checks.
6: Snake Body: the Slaadi has a serpant's tail in place of legs. -10 ft. land speed, +10 to Swim checks, gains climb and swim speed equal to its newly modified land speed, +4 to Move Silently checks.
7: Willful Extra Limb: 50% chance to gain an extra claw attack, 25% chance to lose action each round.
8: Slime Coating (Ex): +10 to all Escape Artist checks (including opponent's checks)
9: Four Legs: +4 to opposed Trip checks, but cannot jump
10: Bone Plates: +4 Natural Armor, -4 Dexterity
11: Energy Subtype (Ex): this Slaadi gains the [Cold] or [Fire] sub-type, including immunity to its own energy type and +50% damage from its opposed energy type.
12: Metal Skin: +6 Natural Armor, -4 Dexterity, vulnerability to Rust effects

Table 4: Cosmetic Enhancements (d12)
1: Third Eye (Ex): +2 to Spot, Initiative and missile attacks, +60 ft. Darkvision
2: Sabre Teeth (Ex): Bite attack crits 20/x3 (instead of 20/x2)
3: Body Spikes (Ex): as Large Armor Spikes (1d6, 20/x2)
4: Shadowy Body (Ex): gains 50% concealment in less than full sunlight
5: Hypnotic Scales (Ex): as Glowing (above), but the Slaadi acts as a Hypnotic Pattern spell (caster level = HD, save DC is Charisma-based)
6: Glittering (Su): as Glowing (above), but anyone hit by the Slaadi is affected by a Glitterdust effect (caster level = HD, save DC is Charisma-based)
7: Sabre Claws (Ex): Claw attacks crit 19/x2 (instead of 20/x2)
8: Blood Feeder (Ex): successful Bite attack heals 1d8 damage to the Slaadi
9: Double Grin (Ex): this Slaadi has an extra mouth in its abdomen, and can make an extra Bite attack against an opponent within 5 ft.
10: Horns (Ex): this Slaadi gains a Gore attack (as a Minotaur)
11: Useful Arm (Ex): this Slaadi gains an extra Claw attack
12: Big Chicken Wings (Ex): this Slaadi can glide (as Feather Fall)

Table 5: Serious Enhancements (d20)
1: Breath Weapon (Su): every 2d4 rounds, 7d8 damage, DC is Con-based, roll a d6 for type:
-- 1: Sonic (30 ft. cone)
-- 2: Sonic (15 ft. burst, centered on the Slaadi)
-- 3: Fire (30 ft. cone)
-- 4: Cold (30 ft. cone)
-- 5: Acid (60 ft. line)
-- 6: Electricity (60 ft. line)
2: Big Bat Wings: gains a Fly speed equal to land speed +10 ft.
3: Eyes All Over: gains the effects of a Robe of Eyes
4: Chia Frog: this Slaadi has a big plant growing out of its back. Each round, it is 50% likely to be of type Plant, and 50% likely to be of type Outsider.
5: Augmented Claws (Ex): claws deal damage as though they were one size larger, and crit 19/x3.
6: Augmented Bite (Ex): bite deals damage as though it were one size larger, and crits 20/x4.
7: Energized Claws (Su): claws deal extra energy damage as though they had one of the Frost, Flaming, Shocking or Thundering enhancements (d4 to choose).
8: Acidic Drool: bite attack deals +1d6 Acid damage, or +2d10 Acid damage on a critical hit.
9: Tail Stinger (Ex): gains Sting (secondary natural attack), damage 2d6 + poison (DC is Con based, deals 1d8/1d8 Wisdom damage)
10: Temporal Instability (Su): constantly under the effect of the Blink spell (cannot control)
11: Disruptive Claws (Su): casts a targeted Dispel Magic with each successful Claw attack
12: Rainbow Scales (Ex): as Glowing (above), but the Slaadi acts as a Rainbow Pattern spell (caster level = HD, save DC is Charisma-based)
13: Umbral Body: gains total concealment in less than full sunlight
14: Chaotic Flatulance (Su): Stinking Cloud centered on the Slaadi once per minute as a free action
15: Fire Shield (Sp): at will as a standard action
16: Shattering Croak (Su): Shatter at will as a move-equivalent action
17: Blindsight (Ex): range 60 ft.
18: Croak of Chaos (Sp): Word of Chaos 3/day
19: Stone Body: DR 5/--
20: Vindictive Croak: this Slaadi's death causes an explosion in a 30 ft. radius burst, dealing 6d12 Chaos damage to all creatures within the area [Reflex save for half, DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier)

-- N

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Nifft, I like it. A lot. I will be using it. Although i might suggest a CR modification, such as -1 for any serious disabilities, and +1 for any serious enhancements.

Demiurge out.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
demiurge1138 said:
Nifft, I like it. A lot. I will be using it. Although i might suggest a CR modification, such as -1 for any serious disabilities, and +1 for any serious enhancements.

I felt that the 3.0e variant table was composed of only "cosmetic" and "power-up" entries, with a tiny smattering of "minor power-down", so this table at least balances the good with the bad.

You could change the CRs, or you could just figure that it averages out. :)

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"You take the good, you take the bad,
You wrap them in a frog and have,
the facts of Slaad,
the facts of Slaad,
Cast Remove Disease, your Cleric knows,
Before that pellet implant grows,
the facts of Slaad,
the facts of Slaad,
When Limbo never seems,
To be living up to your dreams,
And suddenly you're finding out...
The fact that Slaad are all around you!
It don't take much to get them mad,
when you learning to fight the Slaad,
learning to fight the Slaad,
learning to fight the Slaad,
You'll avoid a lot of damages
and make a lot of Slaad-wich-es,
and kill some death-slaad's brood,
they shed a lot of blood.
If you call them with your Wizards,
better check the ring for hazards,
better get them right,
call them late at night.
You got chaos in the palm of your hands,
all you gotta do, to get you through, is understand...
you think you rather do without,
you will never make it out without the truth...
the fact that Slaad are all around you!"

-- N

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
That's a really cool song, Nifft. I'm a bit frightened.

But, in other news, here's a Thanksgiving present to those of you who still read this thread. I give you, the

Prismatic Slaad
Colossal Outsider (Chaos, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 35d8+525 (682 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30ft (6 squares), fly 40ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 40 (-8 size, +1 Dex, +26 natural, +11 deflection), touch 14, flat-footed 39
Base Attack/Grapple: +35/+73
Attack: Bite +50 melee (10d8+22 plus 8d4 chaos, 17-20x3, +2d6)
Full Attack: Bite +50 melee (10d8+22 plus 8d4 chaos, 17-20x3, +2d6), 2 claws +47 melee (7d6+11, 19-20x3)
Space/Reach: 40ft/40ft
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, blinding radiance, breath weapon, chaos bite, improved grab, objective gravitation, spell-like abilities, summon slaad, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Camouflage, darkvision 60ft, DR 20/epic and lawful, fast healing 30, flight, immunity to sonic, prismatic deflection, resistance to acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 and fire 5
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +20, Will +23
Abilities: Str 54, Dex 13, Con 40, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 33
Skills: Bluff +49, Concentration +53, Hide +53, Intimidate +49, Knowledge (arcana, history, planes) +42, Listen +42, Move Silently +39, Search +42, Sense Motive +42, Spot +42, Survival +42
Feats: Ability Focus (objective gravitation), Cleave, Combat Expertise, Great Cleave, Improved Bull’s Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Epic Feats: Overwhelming Critical
Environment: Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 30
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 36-105 HD (Colossal)

What you had previously thought only an oddly shaped stone island turns out to have been a massive toad-like humanoid almost 50 feet tall. Its claws are shaped like scythe blades as long as a man is tall and its fangs are long and keen. Most noticeable is its color, which flashes constantly in every color you’ve ever seen, and some you haven’t.

The prismatic slaadi are the oldest, largest, and most dangerous slaadi, with the exception of the feared Slaad Lords. They drift through the plane of Limbo in the guise of a mass of stone, only to ambush travelers and other slaadi that linger upon them.

The average prismatic slaadi avoids all the chaotic politics of Limbo- they are too large and powerful to be intimidated by the death slaadi, and they obey no Slaad Lord but their own, a whimsical being known only as Hue. Their only allies are the violet slaadi, who feed prismatic slaadi using their creation ability in exchange for protection from the death slaadi. Prismatic slaadi are mostly concerned with eating to sustain their massive appetites. Their automatic response to any stimuli is to swallow it, but if bargained with (a tricky process, usually accompanied with flattery and a promise of edible tribute), a prismatic slaad will usually be happy to talk about what they know, which is to say nearly everything. Prismatic slaadi speak Slaad and one other planar language (usually Abyssal).

Combat
Prismatic slaadi initiate combat by activating their blinding radiance, then grabbing any blinded creatures and devouring them. They make good use of their spell-like abilities to confuse and distract foes, and persistent attackers will usually be subject to the prismatic slaad’s breath weapon. The natural attacks of a prismatic slaad penetrate damage reduction as if they were epic and chaotic weapons.

Augmented Critical (Ex): The natural attacks of a prismatic slaad have a threat range of 19-20 and deal x3 damage on a successful critical hit. This stacks with the Improved Critical feat.

Blinding Radiance (Su): The cacophony of colors weaving over the body of a prismatic slaad sears the eyes of those that look at it. Any creature with less than 35 HD and within 60ft of a non-camouflaged prismatic slaad (see below) must make a Fortitude save (DC 42) or be permanently blinded. Creatures that make their saves are instead dazzled for 5d4 rounds and are not subject to the prismatic slaad’s blinding radiance for 24 hours. Creatures can avert their eyes to avoid being blinded as if the prismatic slaad had a gaze attack, with the same benefits and penalties. The save DC is Constitution based.

Breath Weapon (Su): Once every 1d4+1 rounds, a prismatic slaad may breathe a 100-foot long cone of weaving colors. Any creature in the area that fails a Reflex save (DC 42) is affected as per the prismatic spray spell. Those that make their save take half damage, unless no damage is dealt (such as the insanity and flesh to stone effects). The save DC is Constitution based.

Camouflage (Ex): A prismatic slaad is usually a blinding shade of all colors, but at will as a free action it can assume any color. When using this ability, the prismatic slaad gains a +30 bonus to Hide checks (factored in above). Prismatic slaadi usually use this ability to appear as floating islands of stone.

Chaos Bite (Su): The jaws of a prismatic slaad drip with pure corrosive chaos. Any creature bitten by a prismatic slaad takes an additional 8d4 points of damage, and 4d4 points of damage each round for the next 10 rounds. No known spell can stop this continual damage, although it can be cured normally.

Flight (Ex): Despite their lack of wings, prismatic slaadi are naturally buoyant, and have a fly speed of 40ft. This also grants them a permanent feather fall effect with personal range.

Improved Grab (Ex): In order to use this ability, a prismatic slaad must hit an opponent with a bite or claw attack. It can then make a grapple check as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it deals bite or claw damage automatically every round it maintains the grapple and can swallow whole.

Objective Gravitation (Su): Three times per day, as a free action, a prismatic slaad can make itself down. Any creature within 200 feet must make a Will save (DC 40) or fall towards the prismatic slaad, taking falling damage as usual. Unattended objects fall automatically. The prismatic slaad can make an attack of opportunity on a creature that falls into its reach. Creatures affected by the objective gravitation treat the prismatic slaad as if it were the source of gravity for 1 hour, or until the slaad dismisses the ability. The save DC is Charisma based.

Prismatic Deflection (Su): A prismatic slaad gains a deflection bonus to its Armor Class equal to its Charisma modifier.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- chaos hammer (DC 25), color-curse (DC 24)*, color spray (DC 22), dimension door, dispel law (DC 26), fireball (DC 24), hypnotic pattern (DC 23), passwall, protection from good, rainbow pattern (DC 25), telekinesis (DC 26) 3/day- greater invisibility, moment of prescience, persistent image, scintillating pattern (DC 29), word of chaos (DC 28) 1/day- prismatic sphere (DC 30), weird (DC 30) Caster level 35th. The save DCs are Charisma based. *New spell- see below.

Summon Slaad (Sp): Summon Slaad (Sp): Once per day a prismatic slaad can automatically summon 3d4 red or blue slaadi, 2d4 green or gray slaadi or 1d4 gold or silver slaadi. This is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A prismatic slaad can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Gargantuan or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+11 points of crushing damage per round, and takes chaos damage as if it had been hit with the prismatic slaad’s bite (see above). A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the prismatic slaad’s digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A prismatic slaad’s gullet can hold 2 Gargantuan, 8 Huge, 32 Large, 128 Medium or 512 Small or smaller creatures.

New Spell:
Color-Curse

Transmutation (chaos)
Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature or object touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You permanently change the color of an object or creature. This change in color can be to any color and of any pattern the caster wishes. This has several benefits or penalties. A creature so changed has a –10 circumstance penalty to all Disguise checks, as his unusual color renders him distinctive. You may also choose to grant the creature with a particularly garish or cryptic coloration. A garish coloration inflicts a –10 circumstance penalty to Hide checks; a cryptic one grants a +10 bonus to Hide checks in area where the colors match (for example, dappled greens and browns will grant the bonus in a forest, but not in a desert). The color-curse cannot be dispelled with a dispel magic, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, dispel chaos or remove curse spell.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads